All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Generate gamelist and directinput

buzz880

2 issues. 

- can't for the life of me figure out how to generate the MAME gamelist. I have all paths setup correctly and verifying ok. Other emulators work fine. 

EDIT: uninstalled/reinstalled and this first part now works. Following point is outstanding. Thanks. 

- how can I set gameex EVO to respond to direct input (I think that's what I need), specifically I want to configure over vnc and currently Evo does not respond to mouse clicks or key presses over VNC. I think in Mame I simply set directinput 1 to solve this issue. 

TIA!

On 11/14/2018 at 10:12 AM, buzz880 said:

Thanks Tom, 

Anyone figured out a workaround?  Custom vnc server perhaps. Or maybe something with autohotkey?  I've googled a fair amount, not seen anything. 

You should use Remote Desktop to configure remotely. It's a million times better than VNC anyway.

11 minutes ago, headkaze said:

I've added code to use DirectInput for reading keyboard I just don't think there is any significant reason to use it over RawInput.

Just for remote access as the op talks about. Teamviewer as well as VNC.

No disagreement RDP is the best experience. However, it is session/login based whereas other solutions are not.

6 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Just for remote access as the op talks about. Teamviewer as well as VNC.

No disagreement RDP is the best experience. However, it is session/login based whereas other solutions are not.

Not sure what you mean by "session/login based"? The problem with VNC is the protocol. It transfers the entire screen buffer whereas RDP transfers GUI data which is much faster.

I could perhaps see some benefit to supporting Teamviewer if you need to configure outside your own LAN but that seems like a very unusual requirement.

All configuration in Evo can be made via the Setup Wizard anyway so I don't see a need for it TBH.

Connecting via RDP requires a windows login and login session and this happens upon connecting. This tends to crash most DirectX apps on both connect and disconnect although can't remember what it does for Evo. Its not a huge deal for Evo because of the Setup Wizard, I agree. Although, there is then no way to relaunch evo and disconnect.

RDP is really pretty horrible if you are managing a cab.

9 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Connecting via RDP requires a windows login and login session and this happens upon connecting. This tends to crash most DirectX apps on both connect and disconnect although can't remember what it does for Evo. Its not a huge deal for Evo because of the Setup Wizard, I agree. Although, there is then no way to relaunch evo and disconnect.

RDP is really pretty horrible if you are managing a cab.

Evo was mostly developed over RDP so it's been thoroughly tested with it.

RDP is the best protocol to use for Windows machines as far as I'm concerned. Also if you want concurrent session support you can always try RDPWrap (I believe this also gives RDP support for Windows Home).

Ill check out the link. Although I want to keep RDP support how it is on my systems. No doubt the best and very useful for developing, Just not very useful for managing a live cab. Its a low priority change for Evo but the point is valid none the less for me as well as the op.