All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Gameex Evolution replacing the old gameex

Alan Ribas

From what I can tell it seems that much of the setup part of gameex evolution looks like the old gameex configuration. My question is why is there currently developing two frontend programs if apparently the two do the same thing? why not discontinue the old gameex and focus only on the younger one? What is the reason for keeping the old gameex that I did not understand? At some point will the old gameex be discontinued?

You don't drop a product the moment a new version is released. Customers want to know that the product they purchased will have a reasonable amount of 'life'. End of life a product too soo, you will have unhappy customers.

Sadly, I have not had a lot of time to dive into Evolution. I would be disappointed if the team decided to stop supporting GameEx now.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope no one takes this the wrong way.  Evolution has obviously been in development for a long time and there is clear evidence that lots of hard work has gone into it.  I want it to succeed as much as anyone; however, to do this it MUST do the fundamentals at least as good as GameEx.  And the biggest fundamental that GameEx has going for it is that it is very fast/snappy.  So far Evolution, in its current form feels really sluggish to me in comparison and so as of 1.02 I still can't take it seriously as a replacement (it can also lock-up my computer, but that's another story).  I paid for Evolution--and don't regret it at all--but honestly, I'd be willing to spend similar money for *each* of just a few relatively minor updates to regular GameEx, which still remains the gold-standard front-end for me.  Here's the list of upgrades I'd happily pay for (roughly in priority order):

I'd pay $20 for...
  -- Support for star filters on lists in regular GameEx (both as sticky and dynamic).

I'd pay another $20 for...
  -- the ability to specify more than one version of MAME as part of an emulator group

I'd pay yet another $20 for...
  -- the ability to directly edit the database within the UI in the wizard (along with a couple of other refinements to the way the database is used).

And I might pay up to $20 for...
  -- A new first-class theme editor.  No new fancy features or animation support needed--just something that works more elegantly for customizing the features that already exist.

Dave

I asked this question once regarding Gameex. And I would like to repeat it, but now it is Gameex Evolution.

Is it possible or feasible to create for gameex evolution the possibility of playing games online with your friends? How does RetroArch work?
Would it be possible to create a kind of environment that when we were to choose the game there was the option to call a colleague for a match?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, RedDog said:

You don't drop a product the moment a new version is released. Customers want to know that the product they purchased will have a reasonable amount of 'life'. End of life a product too soo, you will have unhappy customers.

I am going to quote reddog and lock this topic. 

In summary Evolution is a new product and it is not time for original GameEx end of life yet.

We appreciate the feedback and there is more to come.