All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Xformer 10 emulator for Atari 8-bit systems!

Draco1962

Interesting. I like the "just works" mantra, but I don't believe the hype. Unless they include the BIOS', it can't just work until you provide them. By that logic anything just works, if you do this...that... and the other thing first.

Make it a retroarch core and I'll install it. Looks interesting, especially for tablet users. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my current provider.

I do like that you just have to drop the roms folder on the exe, which I assume includes the BIOS'. I wonder how forgiving it is of folder structure within. I would probably have them separated by system.

Assuming it is true, you can enable the emulator to auto-detect if the ROM is an NTSC vs. PAL version. I will probably give it a try. My concern is for command line compatibility as I don't want to use the emulator as the frontend.

The drag & drop feature is pretty neat. There are a few games that I tried that would not launch via that method and it may be because they are multi-disk games so I will need to read the instructions further. They mention that the Xbox 360 controller should work fine, but there is no configuration tool that I could find and, in one game I tested (Draconus, of course) the Y button causes the character to breath fire at objects, but it also causes the game to pause and restart. 

Since I am an Atari 8-bit fanboy, I will be continuing to dig into this emulator before determining if it is a pass-fail-meh addition.

BTW, it has options to load as a 400/800, 800XL, or 130XE which does matter for some games. It may be possible that it has the BIOS or core written into the code.

• 3 weeks later...

if they wrote their own bios for the systems (unlikely) that's fine, but if they just copied them without the copyright permission then they'll be asked to remove it if the emulator gets any traction. Especially as Atari gets set to release their next console, they would likely not let this kind of thing compete.

The NES classic hack using retroarch (hackchi) devs had to stop bundling the BIOS in cores they release because of this. You can add them yourself, but they can't distribute them pre-bundled anymore.