All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

FX3 Disable Continue last game (would you like to continue prompt)

bduncan

Just finished configuring and testing PBFX3 with PinballX with my cabinet.

Pretty nice, but one thing I noticed is when my kids exit a table in PBFX3 before completing a game the next time you start that table from PinballX

PBFX3 asks you if you want to Continue last game, and gives a prompt for Continue or Start new game, but the flippers do not actually toggle through the available choices.  (Odd for cabinet mode enabled that they would not make that based on flipper key vs arrow keys on keyboard)

Anyone know if there is the ability to turn off that "feature" of it saving that you were in the middle of a game that ended early?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would be awesome if Zen Studios could fix this. Suggestion for workaround is to bind your magma save or nudge buttons (if you have them) to left/right.

This is how I do and it works but a easier way would be welcome as this involves third party program to rebind my buttons before launching game.

There is a directory where pinball fx3 saves these save files, erasing them before launching your table should fix it. I'll try to find the directory tonight and create a small batch file to erase them. Then you can add this to your before launch execution settings of the emulator pinball fx3

i found the folder unfortunaly erasing the save games (only) gives me a save data corruption message in  place of the continue message there is also a profile.dat file. Also if you want to mess with these file be sure to disable steam cloud saves for pinball fx3 only and be sure to have a backup ready. Once you reenable cloud saves for pinball fx3 next time your start it you'll get a steam cloud saves conflict error when messing with these files. I just made sure my cloud saves contained a valid profile and save game BEFORE  disabling cloud saves and starting to mess with these files, then when you renable it and possibly get conflict you can let it download steam cloud saves again. Also it could be if you just erase it when cloud save is active  (or when you renable it) steam downloads it automatically again without prompting a cloud sync error

so i could not get it working but the saved games are saved there, maybe someone can figure it out but do watch out as it can possibly contain your progress as well, i don't know what's in profile.dat

my steam is installed on E:\Games\Steam\  and the location of the save files and profile.dat is in my case in E:\Games\Steam\userdata\69294424\442120\remote

if steam is installed a c: drive it could be the folder location is different. Also 69294424 is my userid from steam so it will be diffrent for you and 442120 is the appid of pinball fx3

it could also save it in a virtual store like C:\Users\(your windows username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Steam\(your steam userid)\442120 because normally you can not write to c:\program files\ if steam's installed there. On other windows versions (i was testing in windows 10) these locations can be different as well

i would not recomend messing with these files as you lose your progress or corrupting your save games and thus even loose your progress or local high scores (given it saves everything in there). But maybe someone feels adventures and likes to explore more

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem and have found a workaround for this problem, since i can't seem to modify my keyboard encoder key output i have created a very simple autohotkey script that will remap my default left and right flippers (left shift / right shift) to key left and key right. You'd also need a remap for enter key if your launch button is not mapped by default to enter, which is also the case with me. if the message pops up i can now with my left and right flippers select which i want (continue or start new game) and using the launch button (which i mapped to return / enter) i can confirm it now

This is the very simple autohotkey script, you need to change this to the keys your are using. Use google to find your key names in autohotkey as this is specific to my setup :

#noenv
&::Enter
1::Enter
LShift::Left
RShift::Right

compile to an exe and let it run with the start before command in pinballx settings, set it up to not wait for the program to exit. (my compiled script is called Pinball_FX3_remap.Exe) 

You'll also need to edit pinball fx3 control settings ingame to now use the new buttons (left key for left flipper, right key for right flipper, enter key for launch)

image.png.da90ea0c1b2ae9662e37e8ec471eb849.png

You also need to kill / exit the app when pinball fx3 gets closed so for that i created a batch (.bat) file which contains the following. You need to change the exe to the name you named your script (try to use no spaces then you don't have to worry about it being detected as a parameter)

taskkill /IM pinball_fx3_remap.exe

this works fine for me. Also if you happen to use my launcher to use select hotseat or classic mode, you need to edit the keys in the ini file as well to use enter  for launcher / left /right key.

[SETTINGS]
LEFTKEY=37
RIGHTKEY=39
LAUNCHKEY=13

While this does not remove the message you can at least using this workaround select what you want using your flippers and the launch button. I had to do this as i only have a select few buttons and it might work until zen decides we can also select this using our flipper buttons in cabinet mode or have an option to ignore saved games.

If you already have start before or launch after scripts, you'll either need to create batch files or ahk compiled scripts so you can run multiple programs or use plugins i think i saw one that existed to launch everything but i'm guessing you'll know how to do that if you got that already setup

I just tried playing a game and i must say i did not notice any delay with the keyremaps although i really don't notice this usally myselve. At least it's something to work around the issue.

edit: if you got 4 flipper buttons, 2 on each side it might be better to map the 2 extra buttons to left / right instead of the flipper buttons itselve, it might prevent latency / delay problems and then you just have to assign the nudge left / right instead of the flipper buttons. It might be safer, if you only got 2 flipper buttons you have no choise unless you got some extra buttons somewhere you could use. Do note when doing this you don't have to edit the ini file for my pfx3 launcher unless you want to select the options there using the extra 2 flipper buttons