All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

The Coders Programming Themselves Out of a Job

tthurman

The issue isn't that automation reduces work, it's that leaders exploit workers.

This is an ethical argument. On the one hand you have workers automating their jobs, freeing up their time. The employer might consider that stealing, especially if the worker uses the free time to plays games instead of working in other respects. On the other hand you have employers reaping all the rewards of employees who, by using their skill and initiative, make the company more profitable. The employee might consider that stealing, especially if the automation process is then used to eliminate the employees position without compensation for their automation process. Who is right? The law says it's the employer.

The fact that money talks will trump any ethical argument. Those who have more, talk louder than ethics. The law follows suit.

I couldn't in good conscience sit back and do nothing while the pay checks kept coming in. I would tell my boss I could automate the process and ask if that's something they'd be interested in, before doing so. If they're interested, then I'd contract the work. Then at least I'd get paid for the automation process that replaced my job. If not, then I guess I'd have to endure mindless data entry until I found a better job, like everyone else stuck in a mundane job.

I see no moral obligation to show your hand in an employment scenario when you " the coder" has the insight/gift to do what others don't!  Far as I'm concerned, this just frees up cycles to improvise on other fronts, especially considering the work at hand is clearly being handled most efficiently.

I suppose it's a simple difference of opinion, but there was an obvious need from an employment standpoint as well as an obvious solution to an innovative coder!  If your employer is making great margins as a result of stellar employee production what difference does it make how it got there.  If the shoe where on the other foot, I can assure you that in most instances they would not come to you and say "hey man, we're making so much money thanks to you". 

Nope, most likely they would take your idea and use it to cut overhead, perhaps including you. 

The company I work for is a pseudo state entity. It was very much apparent when I first started as a contractor. While the number of contractors has dropped significantly, so have the number of positions for advancement. 

Now they have added a new ERP solution that has replaced a few apps my team used to manage and we are expected to support it without the training or necessary access to the app's inner workings.

I can honestly say that I miss the mindnumbing boredom of my previous job pushing carts of equipment and helping people sort their PC and software issues.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:21 PM, tthurman said:

I see no moral obligation to show your hand in an employment scenario when you " the coder" has the insight/gift to do what others don't!  Far as I'm concerned, this just frees up cycles to improvise on other fronts, especially considering the work at hand is clearly being handled most efficiently.

I suppose it's a simple difference of opinion, but there was an obvious need from an employment standpoint as well as an obvious solution to an innovative coder!  If your employer is making great margins as a result of stellar employee production what difference does it make how it got there.  If the shoe where on the other foot, I can assure you that in most instances they would not come to you and say "hey man, we're making so much money thanks to you". 

Nope, most likely they would take your idea and use it to cut overhead, perhaps including you.

Sure, if there is other work that fits into your description. I envision a CPA firm that just wants someone to enter data from one electronic form into another database. Maybe they hire you just to do that, but they have no need for you otherwise. If you use a program to automate that process, then there may not be anything else for you to do. In that situation I might offer to sell the program rather than take advantage of the situation. At least then you get paid for the program.

Maybe, but it's more likely they'll see what you've done, show you the door and continue to use your automated program thinking "we've already paid you for it".   Perhaps the people you work for are really honest and always "do the right thing", but this is far from reality for most people!

They can't steal what you don't give them. Expiring key...User login...only keep the program on your USB drive. If you did the work on your own time, they can't even claim it belongs to them. If you're really security conscience, copyright the program. Then sell it.