All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME- not all games show up

btptr321

Hello! I am using the latest version of Gamex and just tried with 2 different rom packs 0.105 and 0.195.

Both packs works fine in MAME self, but once loaded through Gamex only a small portion of the games show up. It works the way it should, only around 200 games show up, not more.

Attached the gameex file with the 0.105 conifguration. All other emulators work fine.

Am I missing something here in the setup?

GameEx.ini

Need your log file attached as well. Is there any reason you are running such old MAME versions? It is recommended to avoid potential compatibility problems to run something more recent. MAME .202 was just released. You will also need to ensure your ROMs are the same version as your MAME?

@Draco: You do not need to recommend that members get newer mame sets.  As long as he is running the latest GameEx, he should be ok for newer and older rom sets. If we were to find a problem validating older roms set versions, Tom will want to know about it.

@btptr321: Would you please confirm if your .105 rom set are all indeed version .105?  Have you ever attempted to 'upgrade' the set to .105 and if so, how did you go about it?

Also, what Mame .105 are you using?  Is it from mamedev.org, your own compiled version, or a compiled version from another website?  As Draco pointed out, making sure the Mame version matches the romset version is extrememly important when it comes to creating the game list within GameEx.

Also, it is normal for GameEx to only show a small portion of games from a full rom set. For example, my 30,000 split file set results in a list of about 2500 games.  How large is your rom set and is it merged or split (if you know)?

Hola RedDog. At the moment I have both the GameEx and GameEx Arcade editon running and  using the 0.195 romset.

Yesterday I updated the game list in GameEx and it came up to roughly 200 games. I just installed GameEx Arcade editon and this came back with around 2500 games. So this one looks fine. Just to be clear. when I use directly though MAME all games are working. But a drop back to 200 is a bit to much. So far the GameEx Arcade seems to be working. Will try to update game list in regular GameEx later today. I seem to remember that the 0.195 version came from mamedev.

I got now both GameEx and GameEx Arcade edition running romset 0.193.

In GameEx Arcade they seem to be all there but in the regular GameEx only 273 games are appearing. I have attaced both logs and configs from recent setup.

The games in the Arcade Edition work like they should.

GameEx_config.ini

GameEx-Arcadeconfig.ini

log-GameEx.txt

log-GameExArcade.txt

Updated to the latest MAME and ROM set I could find.. 0.210

Still only 200 games show up while they all work in the MAME player. Once loaded through GameEx nearly 80% won't show. They do show with the GameEx Arcade edition.

You must have gone back to the future :D

In the integrated MAME settings, there are a number of filters that have a direct impact on how many games show up.

Go into setup wizard, scroll down to advance mame settings, toggle "Verify Roms" to NO, exit wizard, launch GameEx and update.

Check your results now.  If it still misses something you can manually enter them by name in the Setup Wizard in the "Don't filter these Roms" field.

Thanks, but this was one of the first things I tried. As suggested I also updated my ROM version. What puzzles me is that with the same setup all games appear in the GameEx Arcade edition but not in the regular GameEx. And to manually adding over 2000 games is not my idea of fun. @tthurman

Might be a silly question but did you update the MAME game list again in GameEx? This needs to be done with every filter, exe or rom path change.

You've also set your MAME exe as MAMEUI.exe. MAMEUI may not be compatible and you should try the normal MAME build which you can get from MAMEDev.org.

Thanks.

Tom.

1 hour ago, btptr321 said:

And to manually adding over 2000 games is not my idea of fun.

Yeah, I get that!.  The suggestion was if it were only a handful of titles.

1 hour ago, btptr321 said:

As suggested I also updated my ROM version.

I would be of much greater importance that the set you are using matches the MAME version.

Okay, got the exact same setup working in Windows 7. There it shows me over 3000 games. In windows 10 it gives me only 200 games. Both 64bit and same set up.

ROM sets are matching the MAME version. The games all play good through MAME itself. Update gamelist after every change.

My title may say newbie but using GameEx already for a couple of years with different builds, so I know how to set up this Front End :-)

Can it be a windows problem?

The only thing that may be different between Win 7 and Win 10 may be a UAC issue. Is the application set to Run as Administrator in the Win 10 setup (goes for both your mame.exe and gameex.exe)?

Did you also have MAME to run as admin as well? 

What about backing up your gameex.ini file, uninstall GameEx via Control Panel, then download,l & reinstall GameEx, then copy your gameex.ini back in, update list?

A couple obvious things here but you do have GameEx installed somewhere C:\GameEx?

Have you tried just installing GameEx again?  Sometimes this clears up odd issues like this.  It should just install right over itself, keeping your settings.

@tthurman Thanks for your help. I am not new to GameEx. Been using it for a couple of years. This just never happened before. I will later try Draco's suggesting and see if I can swop the gameex.ini file with the GameEx Arcade Edition since this seems to work fine. Already tried to install it a couple of times, it's on the C:'\ location.

54 minutes ago, btptr321 said:

@tthurman Thanks for your help. I am not new to GameEx. Been using it for a couple of years. This just never happened before. I will later try Draco's suggesting and see if I can swop the gameex.ini file with the GameEx Arcade Edition since this seems to work fine. Already tried to install it a couple of times, it's on the C:'\ location.

Reread my post. I didn't suggest swapping your GameEx Arcade Edition ini file (you could do so, but I don't think it would be beneficial as not all features are enabled and you woul have to edit them, assuming it worked at all).

I did suggest backing up your gameex.ini file from your GameEx install, uninstalling regular GameEx from your PC, then installing it new (appying your key from Tom, etc.), then copying your original gameex.ini file into the new GameEx installation.

2. Post Your GameEx.ini

If you are having a problem with Mame, Daphne, or some other "built-in" feature of Gameex, we may want to take a look at your GameEx.ini, which can be found in this folder: X:\GameEx\CONFIG\ 

Open the file to view contents, and copy and paste them into Spoiler tags.

Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:
Ctrl + "A" (select all)
Ctrl + "C" (copy)
Ctrl + "V" (paste)

Please put the contents of your gameex.ini file in Spoiler tags. It is difficult for mobile users to read the forums without them, especially on mobile devices.

https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/6451-guide-how-to-ask-for-help/

@tthurman Oops was looking wrong. Found it. Uploaded it with the current config which gives me a total of 287 (The Arcade edition gives 2000+) Later today I willl do a fresh install with the current config file as suggested above.

13 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Did you try a normal version of mame like I suggested? I tried your settings and I got a full list.

I believe he is asking if you installed a normal version of MAME , updated the path to it, and updated list through GameEx, not outside of it.