All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Firefox Monitor

tthurman

I would seem unreasonable to me that this could be anywhere near 100% accurate, but I suppose it's another tool in the fight to maintain your privacy.

One of my other emails shows a compromise from Disqus.  Not something I recall having any direct connection with, but that doesn't mean blogs and forum software I've used didn't.  

Yeah, there are a few sites in my breach list that I've never visited. So I wonder how accurate it truly is.  I mean, where do they get their information?  Did they some how manage to get their hands on a copy of the data that was breached from all these sites and build their own database from which to compare your email against?  That's a bad thing in of itself if true.

They got me on shotbow (Minecraft site) and Last.fm

I've been to both of them.

Pwn'd. Except I've been through multiple password cycles and switched to randoms in LastPass since then. I'll take my chances. :)

Yeah, at the very least it is doing what it intended to do in that it makes people aware.

In my case, I knew about Cheapassgamer, but I hadn't been there in ages and my email was released to the wild long before I knew. 

3 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

So I wonder how accurate it truly is.  I mean, where do they get their information?

Probably more right than wrong!

HIBP

Like the Disqus one I mentioned above, it's not a site I use, but their software is "like" systems for stuff like Facebook, Wordpress sites etc..

In other words, it could be a third party that is accessing your data in conjunction with a site you frequent that get's breached and your none the wiser.

People feel incredibly secure on the net, but most would be blown away if they could see how much stuff is really going on.   Just the old worms alone from years gone by, still scouring around hunting for ports that should have been long closed is mind-boggling.