All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Carnevil Lagging

plr1995

Hey everyone, I downloaded carnevil today and the game is fairly laggy. It runs fine during the intro but once I press start and the shooting gallery/joker face appears it becomes super laggy and the game runs extremely slow. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice since this is the first rom I've ever downloaded. I am running the game on SDL mame for mac. I attached a picture of my mac's stats, to see if its an issue with my computer not being powerful enough. Also, someone on youtube mentioned how to potentially fix this issue but I have no idea how to actually do it on mame so I included a picture of his advice. Thanks everyone for the help

!1851663329_ScreenShot2018-09-07at10_51_52AM.png.3053bb6f0f9d2c8842820cb3c9581f77.png2117442530_ScreenShot2018-09-07at10_57_30AM.png.20a1c759d3fc059806dd1f4981b716a6.png

Let me first say that placing together words like 'downloading' and 'roms' in our forums is not so welcome here...so let's just not talk about that, please.

Next, Carnevil is not a good game to start with. It is known to be very finicky. From what I have read, the best way to run Carnevil is to find a Mame and Rom verson that is known to run it well. not every version appears to do that.

If you are new to emulators, you would be better off testing other games that are known to be more stable.

I am not a Mac guy, so I don't know if that impacts anything. I would think the specs of your rig would matter more.

I believe that's a 4th gen i7 (Haswell) CPU, but CE is a known resource hog.  Curious, what guns are you using?

What OS and/or how are you running MAME?

In your Intel graphics settings, if there is an option to disable vertical sync, then give that a try.