All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx some MAME ROMs Crash

Games001

Hello all.

Windows 10, latest GameEx FE, MAME .127u5 with equivalent ROM Set

The MAME program suddenly no longer runs certain games.  It has always been stable before and never failed to open a ROM but now, after the install of the newest GameEx FE MAME will run some ROMs fine but nearly every Capcom or other 'Fighting Game' style ROM will load partially (59-99%), then it will pause for 2-3 secs, screen quickly blinks white once, then the ROM will crash back to the MAME menu at the Play This Game selection.

Note: When playing MAME directly, not with GameEx, these crashing ROMs run 100% correctly and without issue.

As noted this is a new problem that NEVER took place before the install of the latest GameEx version.  Thoughts?

GameEx progresses along with MAME releases, so new releases aren't necessarily going to play well with very old releases from the mamedev team.

Is everything running fine outside of GameEx?

If you post your gameex ini and log it might shed some insight as to what the problem is, should it be something else, but I'm guessing changes in the newest version no longer support this set from ten years ago.

Run runitgame.bat after attempting to play one of the failing games.. but run the program with GameEx still open or close the GameEx FE and then use runitgame?

I do not recall the GameEx version which was running well before this new version was installed. I believe it was first used back in April of 2017 (MAME v185 I believe) on this PC when it was a Windows 7 machine.  Since then the PC has grown into a Windows 10 box and the GameEx update was done just two days ago.

Marvel SH vs Street Fighter (USA)  will load to 59%, then do the crash after single fast white screen flash, returning back to 'Play This Game' ROM options list.

Runitgame.bat opens, window flashes by too quickly to read, then does the same 'loads to 59%' and crashes, window closes.

So it does seem to be some really strange ROM issue.  ROMs I have had, in working order, for well over a decade, suddenly are not working in newer versions of MAME.  This is a very strange thing as usually the list of working ROMs grows, not goes backwards in my experience (usually).  Really, really strange.

11 minutes ago, Games001 said:

ROMs I have had, in working order, for well over a decade, suddenly are not working in newer versions of MAME.  This is a very strange thing as usually the list of working ROMs grows, not goes backwards in my experience (usually).  

This is normal.

Resolving and locking the topic.

• Like 1