All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx Arcade setup

funkydmunky

I've gone to downloads and installed latest version each time I was informed it was updated. Might have been a slip up do to no revision numbers in the file name. I could have accidentally re-installed the Aug 20th version as that is showing as the date last downloaded. Placing version #'s on the file name would be a kind request.

Just downloaded latest version of GameEx Arcade. Setup consisted of only directing it to MAME and ROMS. Attract mode still flips the screen. No change.

GameEx.ini

The new GameEx arcade will not launch. Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled twice. Same result.

Edit. I have reverted back to the last GameEx Arcade and now it will not launch either. This is a dedicated GameEx Arcade build. Could the GameEx reg key have an install limit or something?

If I recall correctly, GameEx_Background.exe is what downloads assets in the backgorund when you first launches. It may also do other tasks too (not sure). I've never actually tried to launch it manually, but I just did and it did indeed launch GameEx Arcade. I have no idea if that is intentional, but I assume it is sicne it does work. Tom may need to chime in.

GameEx.exe and GameEx_Lite.exe are the executables that you would normally use to launch GameEx Arcade. If you cannot launch using either of them, you may want to post the resulting log.txt and any error dialogue that appears. Maybe it is something related to the Ultimate version of Windows 7 64 bit.  The new vesion worked fine for my Windows 7 home 64 bit.

10 hours ago, funkydmunky said:

GameEx.exe 15.40 will not launch. GameEx_Background.exe will. I don't know what the difference is.

As far as the Attract mode goes, it appears to be fixed and working. It does jump to the desktop between games but I think there is a setting for that.

Try turning off run in background under online settings. Its a known issue.

15 hours ago, funkydmunky said:

I should note that I always FULLY uninstall old versions before installing the latest build. I am always concerned that there might be some errors from not doing so. Clean installs every time.

Probably not recommended as GameEx will update all files that require an update and you run an unnecessary risk of losing your configuration settings. Additionally, you should run gameex.exe to start GameEx.

If you have updated to the latest version and it is newer than the version you initially reported, please attach copies of the latest gameex.ini and log.txt files.

Hi Draco1962. I did fresh installs because of the continuing problems I am having, as to isolate each build. Yes loosing my configuration setting each time sucks!

I am quite familiar with how to launch GameEx. Are you providing some insight to the situation that I'm not understanding? Any help is welcome. I currently have a non functioning GameEx Arcade. GameEx_Background.exe will launch into GameEx front-end but fails to launch ROMs. As stated previously, GameEx.exe will not launch at all. I have done multiple re-installs.

Thanks for reminding me about adding log/config files. It was fast and furious for a bit and that got missed.

If I could request some old versions to try. I have never had this issue in the past. My near two year old cabinet worked flawlessly with GameEx demo. Now that I have upgraded, not so much.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

I have done multiple times Tom. There is nothing obvious in the Task Manager of anything GameEx related. It has been two(?) versions in a row I have had this issue of non launching GameEx. Nothing happens not even a flicker. GameEx_Background.exe  used to work on the last build but now it will launch GameEx but no ROMs. That is why I do full uninstall, re-install. But I feel there might be issues remaining even after a full uninstall. This is why previously I had asked about .reg entries that I could delete to insure clean installs.

I might just reinstall Win7 tonight. It is a dedicated cab so it shouldn't need to be, but you never know. It sounds like I am the only one having this issue so I might as well do so. Then I can make sure, or not, if it is a problem on my end.

Good, yet bizarre news, I seemed to have had a failing SSD (failed?)

I have not done much investigation yet other then a fresh install on Win7 and GameEx Arcade. But it launches so it is a win.

Quite the oddest thing I have ever seen in a while. No error messages etc... Only on this last build did I ever have a difference in complications from others.

Anyways up-wards and on-wards!

I haven't tested anything yet, but I thought it important to update the community as to my status. GameEx Arcade launching.

10 hours ago, funkydmunky said:

Any form of copy protection that may relate to my circumstances? This is all quite bizarre, including the complete lack of dialog from what I consider basic questions.

I don't discuss such thimgs in public for obvious reasons but there shouldn't be. What lack of dialog? I thought I was working pretty hard to help you?

I'm a bit rusty these days, but here are some suggestions:

First, if you have Rptr, Gaming Evolved installed as part of your Catalyst installation, uninstall it.  It causes problems with GameEx. 

It's been a while for me on the system pack side of things, but I do recall that you must follow it through step by step exactly as it's outlined in order.  It worked perfectly for me when I last installed it.

The paths do not matter, and if you let the system pack do its thing, then just follow whatever it defaults to.  There is no guide I'm aware of for this, Tom simply created these for people who didn't want to hunt down artwork, snaps and the like.  It is simply provided as a convenience for GameEx subscribers.

As Tom mentioned, your directories can be anything.  C: \Chocalate\snaps,:P literally anything.  As long as you point the setup wizard to them, it doesn't care, and what's in there by default are merely suggestions.  If there are things in the wizard you don't have, skip them.  It only uses the resources you direct it to use.

I run mostly GameEx proper, so in referring to that, ensure that you are running integrated mame.

This guide needs to be updated to come up to speed with the newer setup wizard, but this is the section.

Complete it through the "advance mame settings"  

Don't confuse AdvanceMame with advance mame settings.  You only need to worry with this section if you're running advancemame.

By using the integrated MAME support you need not work about any "MAME" stuff in the emulator section, your not running it as an emulator. 

The integrated MAME support will do everything you need it to, assuming you've got your directories correct.

You should have to update each time you change something while using integrated MAME, but only upon a change.

This may save you some effort and hair pulling should this occur again, or at least provide a good starting point before throwing in the towel.  This has saved me many a time!

If you ever move to Windows 10, you can use the media creation tool to download the latest patched image and check against it.  There could be similar avenues for 7, but I am not familiar with them.