All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

FullScreen Exclusive Pause in Game loses Focus

proudx

I am trying to run Visual Pinball 10.2.1 in FullScreen Exclusive mode and when launching the table it plays fine.  However, when I hit the pause key to  either exit to menu or Return to game upon selecting return to Game it loses focus.  I can alt tab to return to the playfield as needed  I have a 3 monitor cabinet setup.  I see the 2nd monitor (the directBS2 display one) flicker when trying to go back to the fullscreen vpx so I think its trying to focus on the wrong display.  this was happening in version 2.16 so tried 2.38 and still happening.  I run Visual Pinball X from a custom system if that helps.  

No it still doesn’t work. I tried both ways with visual pinball running in full Screen windowed as well as full screen exclusive.  Both result in when pressing  pause and selecting return to game it doesn’t go back to the visual pinball player window

You may want to attach copies of your log.txt and pinballx.ini files in response to this thread and also explain what you mean by "custom system" so those trying to help aren't guessing.

3 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

You may want to attach copies of your log.txt and pinballx.ini files in response to this thread and also explain what you mean by "custom system" so those trying to help aren't guessing.

Sure. I don’t have the logs right now but can grab them later. What i mean by custom system is is visual pinball 10 is setup as other system while visual pinball 9 is setup as visual pinball system. 

7 hours ago, proudx said:

Sure. I don’t have the logs right now but can grab them later. What i mean by custom system is is visual pinball 10 is setup as other system while visual pinball 9 is setup as visual pinball system. 

Change this - trust me. I had some issues with things similar to yours, and found that the "additional systems" had the issues while configuring as the main  visual pinball system did not.  Make VPX your primary system since you will spend most of your time in there

• Like 1

ok I can can certainly try setting up visual pinball X as the main system and see if it helps, although I think I figured out whats going on.  This is where I am at.  If I run version 2.16 in non exclusive fullscreen mode and launch a visual pinball exclusive, if I alt tab right after the table has loaded and set visual pinball player as the focus then I am able to successfully return to the game from the pause menu,  I suspect I could fix the issue by having some autoit or ahk script to select the visual pinball player window after x amount of time.  It must be a loading order issue.

Trying Version 2.38 doesn't appear to be any better and solve the problem.  I have attached all my config files as well as the logs.  I did discover 2.38 was overwriting my screenees.txt file and incorrectly setting my back glass window as 3 so I added a value to disable the b2s autoposition  once I did this pinballx 2.38 was no longer overwriting my screenres.txt and changing my back glass monitor form the correct value of 2 to 3  

pinballxautopositiondisaled.ini

ScreenRes.txt

pinballx216.ini

log-238fullscreenexclusivewindowedmode.txt

pinballx238.ini

log-238fullscreenwindowedmode.txt

log -216fullscreenexclusivewindowedlog.txt

log.-216fullscreenwindowedlog.txt

B2STableSettings.xml

I upgraded to 3.19 and it still doesn’t work   

Ok I wrote an Ahk script and compiled it and got it working as far back as 2.16. The script is set it to run before opening visual pinball x.  

What’s odd is I have to use sendkeys  to alt+tab left then enter to refocus on same visual pinball player window that is open.  Doing this just once as soon as visual pinball player loads and comes into focus fixes it.  Once this is done anytime going into the pause menu i am able to return to visual pinball player and not directb2s backglass.

You would think simply issuing an ahk activate window and maximize window on the visual pinball player would work but it doesn’t.

Its also interesting to note the while alt+tab switching works in visual pinball player in exclusive full screen mode the winDows key does not work so I could not send win+tab  to do the switching. However after issuing an alt+tab command the  windows key plus tab works again  

Any  idea what the root cause would be?

No idea but you may want to attach updated pinballx.ini and log.txt files with the log.txt file when the error occurs so those that may be familiar can assist. Also, if memory serves me correct, fullscreen windowed is recommended, but I may be mistaken.