All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Arcade 1UP

tthurman

The cabs are kinda cute though! Depending on how they're constructed, it may be worth getting one to gut it out.

Here is a link to the build video on the tube:

The screen and 'computer' is one unit, so who knows if any mods can be done. Also, I tried to find out specs on the controls and the monitor and could not find diddly. At that price, they both are probably crap.

Walmart is offering $100.00 off preorders. Here is the SF2 version:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Street-Fighter-2-Arcade-1up/994342377

At $299.00 I can see it appealing to retro enthusiasts who have very little experience with cabinet building AND emulators. I mean, as long as the controls are ok and the latency are ok, it's not a bad way to go for those folks. It's not my cup o tea. I would rather buy a solid kit and build the whole thing.

1 hour ago, stigzler said:

Adultery, my dear boy. Arcade cabs are meant to be big, black, ugly and reek of the 80s (read: sweat, hairspray and Boss aftershave).

B*ll*cks. I really stitched myself up there didn't I!?

wtf is N 4 2? You yanks and your jive talk.

I like the cabs, not so much the hardware. If the hardware could be hacked to run retroarch and MAME, then it's a steal at $300-400. Otherwise it's a legit cab for a gut job. Throw an i-pac in the CP, an LCD in the bezel, and a PC in there somewhere. It might be a good place to start if you don't want to design the cab yourself. The materials for my cab cost more than this does. The PC could be, but MAME doesn't require beefy specs for most games.  Could possibly come in under $500 all said and done. I might have gone this path if it were available then.

6 hours ago, stigzler said:

wtf is N 4 2? You yanks and your jive talk.

Must not be a deal hunter I guess.

I used to frequent Anandtech "Hot Deals", and Fat Wallet, or Slickdeals (who happens to be featuring the Walmart deal at $299 any cab).

In case your not aware, there are unwritten rules when it comes to finding and jumping on a deal, like never calling to confirm a deal is for real and not just a price error.  Oh hell no, everybody just orders in hopes that it goes through, and I couldn't tell you how many times it did when I was deal hunting.

Regardless, there was always some clueless dip that would post "I called the store in Lexington store and spoke to the manager......" which was the death knell of many a deal.

Another rule is don't order multiples, "I just ordered 25", as this was sure to raise flags in the event of a price error.  Typically it was acceptable to order two however and so "N 4 2" ........

Got an email the other day for these cabinet/controllers.  On these you will need to add your own monitor and raspberry pi or computer.  But I think it's a nice solution for those that don't have room for a full-size cabinet or the budget.

https://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension-Bartop-scaled-down-arcade-machines-s/99.htm

Bonuses:  They're set up for 2P SIM, they have all the buttons you need for most fighters, and they are likely a solid build (I have their full-size upright that holds a 32" screen).

These would be the route, IMO, if you wanted something closer to a full-blown MAME setup and not that JAMMA junk.  Although they sell this kit for JAMMA, too, if that's your thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I've been following a huge thread on another forum and it seems any bugs these had got remedied quickly.  These aren't for everyone for sure, but there is certainly a niche for them and they do make for a nice escape for those that don't want to invest loads of money or years of time for a little nostalgia.

A whole wave of a new tie in products is coming and the figures and wall art look pretty sweet to me.

Having seen the wear and tear of one at our local Walmart. it is apparent they are not able to take a lot of beating. The one pictured below had been on the floor since around Black Friday. The CP has been trashed.

Playability was fine and so long as the controls are the same between the games provided, I can see these doing well in kid's playrooms with the wear & tear considerations taken.

20190106_095734.jpg

49 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Having seen the wear and tear of one at our local Walmart. it is apparent they are not able to take a lot of beating. The one pictured below had been on the floor since around Black Friday. The CP has been trashed.

I know that these are supposed to be cheap units, but I am still surprised they didn't include a sheet of precut plexiglass for the panel.

My guess is that will be standard soon, if not already.

All the guys I see ordering these in multiples have contacted the manufacturer and had these plexi overlays made for them, so they realize the problem. 

One poster got the Pac-Man wall lights as a Christmas bonus for contacting them and ordering the plexi overlays.  

I'm not defending the company but can tell you that even on my panel that the plexi was an option (as it was on slik-stik units back in the day). 

No printed artwork will hold up to the combination of friction and skin oils that these areas will be subjected to.  I say this with 20 years of commercial offset printing experience, UV coating might pull it off, but short of lamination, plexi most likely represents the most wear/cost effective solution.

<edit>  That Walmart unit was likely subjected to all sorts of abuse in short order, and while I'm certainly not saying these are my thing, I'm happy for those that can enjoy them.  The game room bling, however, well, that piques my interest!

I was not aware that plexi overlays were available. As for the missing ball on the control, likely it was stolen.

Despite the condition, I played through about 5 levels of Galaga whileel Alicia was looking at some stuff a few aisles over. Responsiveness was good and I could be tempted...