All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Remembering the 1982 World's Fair

tthurman

I've posted about the arcades at the fair several times here but I ran across this site that has a nicely put together summary of it all.

https://www.retroist.com/2018/07/15/arcade-games-1982-knoxville-worlds-fair/

I had so many of those tokens back in the day, and not once did it occur to me to keep some for memorabilia.

• Like 1

Oh man, I didn't go but my mom got there (lived in Indianapolis at the time).  I still use this for nice Belgian beers like Chimay.  But I believe it was some kind of tequila sunrise concoction at the time...

IMG_3735.jpg

Interesting, I don't recall that one!  Easily one of the best looking of the glassware items that I recall (IMO of course).

This is what I found on Pinterest:

1982 World's Fair Sunsphere Sunburst Glass Drinking Tumbler for Soda Pop or Beer. Souvenir shaped like The Sunsphere structure at the Knoxville International Energy Exposition, Knoxville, Tennessee TN.

The Strohaus had some cool glassware, but I don't recall it being sold.  I was drinking soda back in those days anyhow so....

They had plenty other stuff though including pins that I managed to lose when I was in my thirties.

It was one happening place, people singing, dancing (on the tables even) and traditionally dressed german bar waitresses bringing out the beers as fast as they could pour them.  It was quite the spectacle, especially so at age 16.

• Like 1

Seeing how the World's Fair ties in with my arcade memories I've allocated an area for it in my room.  During my search for collectables I didn't already have I ran across this Pez dispenser that sold for 32K.

The dispenser, known as The 1982 World’s Fair Astronaut B, is believed to be 1 of only 2 known to have ever been created.