All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

IT Troubleshooting woes

Draco1962

Do you ever wonder why you ever took a position that requires you to help others? Initially there is that desire to share one's knowledge with others so that they can help themselves. But then you run into that 1 or 30 or 400 people that just wrench the hell out of it.

For example, there was a recent patch applied to our ERP site which has caused lots of headaches for my team. It causes the page to immediately error after you login. The fix for the issue is to clear the browser cache, close the browser, and login again - problem solved! Er, no. No matter how you explain how to do it, they just cannot grasp it. It is as if there are not enough crayons for me to explain how to  "click tools, then internet options, then click Delete... under the Browsin History section of the General tab. Close the browser then open it and login." Because they clicked something else they get impatient with you almost as if you willed them to click something other than what you told them to click. 

Or when you request additional information or screen capture of an error code or page, you'd think that you asked them to cut out a testicle. "Do you want the issue to go away? Help me help you by capturing the error message when encountered."

Sometimes, just to screw with them, I imagine myself as Rocket Raccoon asking for parts and some guy's prosthetic leg.. "I'm gonna need a few things..."

I feel that...

The most annoying thing in the world (probably) is when you ask for screenshots and they don't include the URL in them. :)

Or another favorite: "This very specific issue has been reported by one of our users" and then not telling us who the g**d**n user is.

Oy vey!

Wow.  Bad memories from when I worked at TelePerformance (originally CallTech).  Stupid hillbilly hicks.  You try to tell them very clear and precise instructions, and they go an take it a whole different direction.  "Eject the CDRom tray and put the disc in,"  they say "you mean that cup holder?".  They say "there's no pictures,"  you say "Check the cables", they say they "don't have cable", you say "is it plugged in and turned on?", they say "yes the computer is on the light is on", you say "THE MONITOR?", and they say "you mean the TV?"  OMG I couldn't stand it.  Why the hell do you have a computer if you don't even know how to turn the monitor on, or use a CD?  I even had one guy who said his keyboard wasn't working, and the only way to figure out it was disconnected was by having him grab the keyboard and pull it away from the desk into the next room.  What was the worst part, we were an ISP, dealing with INTERNET, not noobie computer user issues.  But, we provided "soft support" to the users, in an effort to help them get set up to USE our software.  Drove me absolutely bonkers.

My screen is blank except for one small area in the center of the screen.

"What is your resolution set to?"

I didn't set a resolution, what does that have to do with it anyway?

"No I mean  your screen resolution, you know how many pixels!"

I already told you I didn't set a resolution and I don't see what in the world pickles have to do with it, this is a computer problem I'm calling you about.  Your tech support sucks!

"WTF" :wacko:

Edited by tthurman
Windows 98SE support

6 hours ago, tthurman said:

I already told you I didn't set a resolution and I don't see what in the world pickles have to do with it, this is a computer problem I'm calling you about.  Your tech support sucks!

"WTF" :wacko:

OK, that is REALLY funny right thee.

I have my fair share too; here is one from my Tech Help Desk days. I worked on a Help Desk for a proprietary Point of Sale system:

"Hi, thank you for calling XXXXX, My name is Vince. How can I help you?"

"Oh, hello. I am having trouble connecting to my AOL."

"I'm sorry sir, this is XXXXX.  This help desk supports XXXXX POS systems.  You will want to contact AOL for support."   (seriously? AOL? People still use that?)

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure."

"So, you can't help me?"

"No. You will have to contact them"

"OK, how can I get to them?"   (ah, wut?)

"I can't really help you with that. I suggest you ask a friend to look it up on the internet for you."

"OK"

"Good luck with it."

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sgc1 said:

ftpbrowse.gameex.com - /-PinballX-/Media/Instruction Cards/

Hi I can not down load of this page it redirects me to registration and payment.

can you help please

steve

That is a good example of a support issue being reported that causes me to shake my head in disbelief. :lol:

Oh. Wait. Is this legit? If so then PM Tom Speirs for account issues and not in the forums, or hijack an unrelated thread.

</INSERT SMH HERE>

• Draco1962 changed the title to IT Troubleshooting woes