All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

new to GamEX and Mame, can't play game

jheiser57

Hello, this is all new to me. I installed Mame and GameEx. I downloaded the X-men arcade game from 1992 by Konami. I can get the game to play using Mame but not GameEx. Is there a setup step I could have missed? 

The game can be found in GameEx including description, images, etc but when I select PLAY GAME a black screen appears for a few seconds then I am returned to the GameEx screen I was just on. 

GameEx.ini

log.txt

looks like you have mame setup as an emulator and are using the integrated mame support.

Use one or the other, not both.  Personally, I'd keep the integrated support.

When you are in the GameEx interface under mame, don't forget to update.

1 hour ago, tthurman said:

looks like you have mame setup as an emulator and are using the integrated mame support.

Use one or the other, not both.  Personally, I'd keep the integrated support.

When you are in the GameEx interface under mame, don't forget to update.

Agreed, also i would change these:

OnlyWorking=True
AllowImperfect=True
VerifyRoms=True
OnlyRoms=False

to this:

OnlyWorking=False
AllowImperfect=True
VerifyRoms=False
OnlyRoms=True

Did you Update List after you made the changes that were suggested? Must do that each time.  Please do so and attach updated copies of you gameex.ini and log.txt files.

Can you run (double click) runitgame.bat found in your /GameEx/DATA folder and let us know the results. At the same time paste the contents of it here so we can confirm the commands being used (right-click runtitgame.bat, choose Edit, open in Notepad).

It pulls up a DOS/CMD prompt box and "Active Code page: 65001" is shown. It trys to load like it does in GameEx then closes and displays errors shown in the attached screen shot.  Again, it loads and plays on MAME fine

@ECHO OFF
chcp 65001

C:
CD "C:\mame"
mame64.exe xmen -rompath "C:\mame\roms" -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo

image.jpg

I might have to disagree with installing into Program Files or Program Files (x86) paths, if nothing else to minimize the impacts of the increased security protections of those paths by Windows. 

The problem based on your screenshot is that you either don't have the same set in those two places or you don't have a full set.

MAME is very delicate. You need a full set for your build... Yes, the rom set changes every MAME release.

It's gonna be a bumpy ride, hang on tight.