All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Pepper II

3rd Quarter 2018 GOTQ Winner: Mame Offender - 348,770 :link:

Pepper II
Pepper II Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Mame Offender 348,770 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
2 Cynicaster 261,140 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
3 rtkiii 155,210 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
4 Floyd Turbo 51,850 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
5 millerbrad 42,100 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
6 Luigimaker 36,110 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 11-11-2018

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Pepper II:

ROMSet: Pepper2
Bonus Life: 70000
Lives: 3

Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting your hi-score: :link:

Pepper II is an arcade game programmed by Exidy and published in 1982, and, despite its name, there was no predecessor named Pepper or Pepper I.[1][2] Its gameplay is similar to the game Amidar by Konami and Stern Electronics. Pepper II was ported to the ColecoVision home system.[1]

The game plays Gounod's "Funeral March of a Marionette" when gameplay starts.

There are four mazes per level in Pepper II. Each maze has exits leading to 3 other mazes. All four mazes must be filled to advance to the next level. To fill in a maze, the player maneuvers "Pepper" around different segments of the maze. As Pepper travels, he leaves a "zipper". Once he encloses or "zips" a segment, it fills in and points are awarded. If Pepper backtracks on an uncompleted segment, it unzips.

The character "Pepper" is an angel. There are two types of enemies that must be avoided: Roaming Eyes and the Whippersnapper (Zipper Ripper on the Colecovision version) who unzips all uncompleted, zipped segments by moving over them. Pepper's one defense is to enclose an area containing a pitchfork, which turns him into a devil for approximately four seconds. At that time he can go after all Roaming Eyes for points while the Whippersnapper freezes. There are four pitchforks in the corners of every maze. A deluxe energizer is located in the center of each maze. This energizer alternates between being a pitchfork and a halo symbol. If Pepper encloses the middle area when the energizer is a halo, the Whippersnapper will disappear from the maze.

Points are made for enclosing a segment, consuming a pair of roaming eyes when energized by the pitchfork (similar to Pac-Man), obtaining prizes, completing a maze, and completing 4 mazes. A bonus turn is awarded at 40,000, 50,000, 70,000 or 90,000 points, depending on the dip switch settings. When a full screen (of the four) has been completely filled, the player is treated with "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" which is heard for a brief moment each time this happens, due to the zipping nature of the game.

Each maze also contains a prize in one of the segments. The player must enclose the area it appears in to gain the prize and points, and then the prize is shown beneath the maze.

- Quote from Wikipedia

Alrighty guys!  You voted, here it is.  Our next GOTM!  I've never played this before, so I'm actually kind of excited to see what it's all about.  A lot of people voted for it, so it's gotta be at least half-way decent right? 

The loadup of this game for me took a while.  But if you sit long enough it will eventually load.  Both DIP switches need to be changed.  The first one defaults to a score of 40000 for a bonus life, needs to be 70000 to match TG.  The lives switch needs changed from 2 to 3 also.  If you don't change this one, it's all you, because we can also use extra lives.  :)

Hope you guys enjoy your summer and have fun playing this game!

• Like 1

Yeah, there is no Pepper I.  I heard that the “2” is meant to represent the dual “angel” and “devil” personality of your character. 

This is a great, addictive game; I hope everyone gives it a chance.  Unfortunately, due to the quick movements needed, it is very difficult to play with a d-pad so arcade controls are pretty much mandatory.  I’d use a keyboard over a d-pad.  

Choked.  

I had 3 guys @ 130k.

This game is all about getting into a groove or rhythm.   As soon as it is interrupted, it is tough to get back on track.

1532189946343467912860.jpg

Hey, 2,000 points is still 2,000 points! :)  I hate having such a weak immune system.  I get sick WAY to often.  I'm sick again.  Been having a rough week, then went home early from work yesterday and went to the doctor.  Wants me off for the next 48 hours.  If I wasn't sick, I'd take that opportunity to try and post a score.  But I really feel like sh!t.  I will say, thanks for posting new scores and trying to keep the forum alive!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

1 hour ago, Mame Offender said:

Choked.  

I had 3 guys @ 130k.

This game is all about getting into a groove or rhythm.   As soon as it is interrupted, it is tough to get back on track.

1532189946343467912860.jpg

I'm glad this game is the GOTM because I haven't played it in years and it's been fun to re-discover.  This score is my new personal best, as far as I can tell.  

The game does have some rough edges.  I like the Hitchcock sounding intro music but it gets annoying.  The little ditty that plays when you close a section with a prize gets very repetitive.  I don't like how enemies spawn right on top of you, that seems like clunky design.  I don't like how when you clear a set of 4 mazes, the game just abruptly re-starts with your guy sitting out in the open (if you know about this ahead of time it's OK, but it's pretty much guaranteed to screw over unsuspecting newcomers).

With the gripes out of the way, I absolutely love the basic concept of the game and think it is really underrated for the era.  

y4mv4Wzny-3WeTTzO5ZGXgO_TWVHC6eXAFsP7TqV