All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Arcooda Pinball Arcade "Steam Cabinet Mode" Setup Video

Thanks for the video.  Your experience went much smoother than mine.  Originally I swore I wasn't going to buy anything but then I panicked last minute thinking what if I realized I wanted it later and missed it.  I didn't know about the display configuration utility first time I started up so it was a mess.  I had my playfield in landscape mode and windows were only halfway on the screen and I couldn't even find buttons to exit and I think I ended up killing it in task manager.  Went back and read the email again and discovered the configuration utility.  That still didn't help much because what I didn't know was you apparently cannot startup in landscape mode at all.  There are no rotation options.  Then I could not get the key to copy/paste into the field and I had to manually type it in.

Even after switching to startup in portrait mode the game was showing up with a desktop aspect ratio so huge black gaps top and bottom.  Instructions said to use that "Screen Setup" button and I didn't have one.  After searching online I found others with the same problem.  It seems that the button does not show up if you select "Full Screen" under the DirectX11 settings in the config menu.  I don't think I heard you talk about that so I was wondering what mode you picked.  When I switched to Window mode the "Screen Setup" button became available but then my taskbar was showing so I switched it to auto-hide.  Did you have it in Window mode and did you do anything to hide the taskbar?

The games did not look as good as they did in the original DirectX9 version for me.  The playfield looks more washed out and in TOTAN it was obvious the genie lamp did not look as shiny or sharp.  I was using outside nVidia settings and got things looking a little better.  I didn't know about the Room Brightness options in the game so thanks for that I'll have to see how that helps.  I have an older nVidia GeForce GTX670 with only 2GB of ram.  I'm wondering if a newer video card would help but I don't want to spend the money and have it solve nothing.

I also have bad flashing of the backglass images when the game starts.  It seems like it gets a lot better if I switch from the native resolution of 1920x1200 down to 1680x1050.  But this issue I believe I've seen with Visual Pinball but not every backglass does it.

Sorry for the long post it was just a stressful day trying to get everything setup including all the other new stuff I was setting up yesterday.  I just started with Pinball FX3 which started crashing and I can't play it for 2 days.  I was trying to download the NoEx camera mod but I can't open the RAR archive because it says the file is corrupted or wrong password.  I got the password from the website where you download the file.  I'm feeling seriously cursed with this stuff right now....lol.

Ah ok...well thanks for posting it.  While watching it I realized why the heck have I not had my cabinet defaulted to Portrait mode.  Not sure why I thought I needed it to startup in landscape and have to stand sideways.  I'm working on reconfiguring everything and see how it works out.

Guess I needed to sleep on it.  I changed the config utility back to Fullscreen and now it positioned it fine.  I could have swore its the same as I tried yesterday but I do believe I saw the game update sometime when starting it last night.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it working in PinballX, and get the real DMD working.

I know that they are working on enhancements to help the performance of this - I upgraded my video card over the weekend and all of the slowness went away. I don't think an nvidia 1050 overclocked should be needed for something like this - curious what other are using with the good performance.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 and all is fine. Keep in mind that there are other variables that can impact such as a low RAM, marginal CPU. In the case of the Arcooda/Farsight software, it could be just some bad code.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, Draco1962 said:

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 and all is fine. Keep in mind that there are other variables that can impact such as a low RAM, marginal CPU. In the case of the Arcooda/Farsight software, it could be just some bad code.

I'm 100% agreement with you there on their being code issue. And in my case I upgraded from my 740 because I was seeing some minor ball jitter in pfx3 that I just couldn't get over and I was running at low video settings, it was pegged at 100% usage, while my CPU and RAM were barely being touched. I saw that the arcooda cabs were being built with nvidia 970's. Like most of the devs I know say, just throw hardware at it we'll fix it later. :)

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2018 at 12:01 AM, hawkeyez88 said:

I wish my gameplay was this smooth .. it's not! Great video from this guy though.

how did you get it to work ? I have a pindmd3. But doesn't get it to work.

Only with Freezy's DMD extensions it will work, but need all seperate scripts to runvia pinballx

15 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

how did you get it to work ? I have a pindmd3. But doesn't get it to work.

Only with Freezy's DMD extensions it will work, but need all seperate scripts to runvia pinballx

To my knowledge this still doesn't work directly out of pinballx without some kind of script.

• 2 months later...