All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I'll just leave this here.

Adultery

I received my Steam Link yesterday (a day later than scheduled). I will unbox and tinker with it possibly this weekend. I am hopeful that I have the good luck that most have had with it and not the bad luck others have experienced.

It really eff'd up my experience on the PC for my first go round, I'll say that. I could say a few bad things, but still no remorse for the price.

My complaints are probably more related to my lack of knowledge when it comes to 'big picture' mode. It was really nice playing River City Ransom Underground from the couch. :)

No lag here (I know that's a major complaint) but I have cat6 snaked in through the wall so no need for wifi.

i have the YDKJ collection too... Haven't really taken a swing at mouse/kbd games. You'll have to let me know how it goes!

10 hours ago, Adultery said:

It really eff'd up my experience on the PC for my first go round, I'll say that. I could say a few bad things, but still no remorse for the price.

My complaints are probably more related to my lack of knowledge when it comes to 'big picture' mode. It was really nice playing River City Ransom Underground from the couch. :)

No lag here (I know that's a major complaint) but I have cat6 snaked in through the wall so no need for wifi.

i have the YDKJ collection too... Haven't really taken a swing at mouse/kbd games. You'll have to let me know how it goes!

I will test YDKJ with a wired keyboard and then a bluetooth one. As for connectivity, will be interesting since our wireless may be a little dodgy and my Power over Ethernet pods need to be replaced with Gigabit speed pods.

Wow, hard to believe how many times that old title has come up recently.

From what I've read the Link maxes out at 30 Mbps and since it only has a 100 Mbps network adapter it must be particularly dependant on a stable feed of that 30. 

I assume you've updated to the latest firmware?  (and yes I feel stupid asking a dev that question) 

I've been playing Pinball Arcade on it (and considering what games I play latency is mostly just important with pinball), and haven't had any issues at all.

But as I said earlier, I'm hard wired so I may not be the best advisor on that.

Mine shipped a few days ago too.

Where I plan to use mine will require I use WIFI. It's close to the router though, so if it can use the 5GHz signal I'll connect to that for speed. I'm just now getting into steam however (I know, where have I been?). So I'll have to pick up some good games to test it out. The only game I have currently is Layer of fear, because it was free a few months back. I should pick up some more titles. Any suggestions?

My first suggestion is that you sign up for https://isthereanydeal.com , you'll get notified everytime something is free somewhere (which is more often than you would think).

If your computer can handle it and you haven't got a console version yet... GTA V is a good one. I play it on PS4, but it's decent for sure.

I also can't plug River City Ransom Underground  enough! 

And of course Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove is most excellent, I'm sure most of the folks here will back me up on that.

• Thanks 1

I finally was able to test my Steamlink this weekend. As far as latency, I really could not tell the difference between sitting at my PC and in front of the TV when using a wired connection. I did not try wireless.

The one thing that is causing me some grief is the controllers. I currently have two XBoxOne controllers that use a wireless dongle...which is not supported by SteamLink...unless you pay an extra $12.00 for a program called VirtualHere. As I understand it, that program would allow one of my controllers to work wirelessly. Then, if I buy the upgrade for another $10.00, I can have more (not sure on the maximum). I can use a controller wired, but I was hoping to not have to.

Can anyone suggest a decent PS4/XBoxOne style bluetooth gamepad that works directly with the steamlink that doesn't cost $60.00? I am finding too many knockoffs online to bne able to trust online sellers.

I have the steam link and had issues at first with Xbox wireless controllers, my solution was to plug the wireless adapter into my main computer and get the controllers working there first (had to choose Microsoft Xbox wireless controller driver), then reboot, unplug the wireless adapter, then plug it into the steam link and they worked great.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/5mt4jf/steam_link_and_xbox_wireless_adapter_does_it_work/

Might be worth a try

Interesting, my 360 wireless controllers work absolutely fine.

Is it only Bluetooth that requires VirtualHere?

I think standard bluetooth gamepads, the Steam Controller, and the XBox360 controller that work fine. Its controllers with unusual functions that don't work natively. For example, I guess that VirtualHere is usually needed for wheels and pedal setups...and XboxOne non-S Controllers.

Also, I read somewhere that VirtualHere was free at one point. Now you have to pay for it. The free version also no longer works. Honestly, it feels a little questionable. Now, I admit that I bought this thing for $2.50 (plus shipping) in order to try it out. If this had cost me $50.00 and THEN I had to pay more to get some a very common controller to work, I would have been miffed. As it stands now, I am just a bit disappointed.

I don't know. I may give VirtualHere a try. Part of me want to not support VirtualHere and just buy different gamepads.  :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just got round to trying mine out. And I gotta say - what a pile of s**t.

It alternates between showing a snowy 'no signal' screen and showing a boot logo on which it gets stuck. 

Steam - Portal and Half Life are a gift, but this my dear friends is a p**s take. Stick to what you do best and stop selling expensive paperweights. 

Mine worked pretty darn good. I played several sessions of GTAV a few weeks back and totally forgot it was streaming. Not a new game by any means, but still an ok test.

My main hangup was not having compatible wireless ocntrollers, but wired worked.

Maybe you got a bad unit.

I gotta agree with @RedDog on this one... Once I got the setup how I like it, I've not had a single issue with this. I'm glad I bought it. Really enjoying the convenience of being able to chill on the couch and play PC games. It's what was missing in my life. Lol

However, I still mostly just play  PS4 console games like Everybody's Golf (or more recently Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate), and as soon as the new Dragon Quest on PS4 comes out, I'll be dumping immoral amounts of time into that and I'm not going to be doing much with it. But it's nice to know it's there. :)

@stigzler It's gotta be something specific to your environment or the one you got is just eff'd, five other people at my work all got one and none of those guys have any complaints either... FWIW, I'd see if I could get a replacement from Valve before you rule it out.

I have yet to unbox mine and won't be able to put it through its paces until sometime next month. What I may do is perform a basic test by hooking it up to my gaming PC TV and simply swap the source and see how it performs before trying it out in the living room.

13 hours ago, RedDog said:

Here I thought I was the only one that played this.   he he

You should add me! Adultery on PSN.