All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I'll just leave this here.

Adultery

Well I got mine yesterday and I dig it!! I probably wouldn't have felt that way if I spent $50 on it, but for that price, I love it so far. :)

3 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Didn't realize it was less than tree fiddy!

Now just hold on one minute...I bet that no good loch ness monsta is behind this whole thing!!!  Don't anyone else give em nothin!!! Not even a dolla!!!   :)  

Did anyone else go for one of the Steam Controller bundles?

I have to admit, after reading the reviews it seems like a pretty decent controller.

Example

Overall it gets pretty high marks.

I've got two 360 controllers, but my beef with these as well as most, in general, is that I find the sticks awkward.  

The pads would seem to give a more natural feel.

I personally stuck to the 360 controller since I already have like 12 of them thanks to my kids wanting new colors all the time. I just can't justify the purchase. I'm interested to hear some GX testimonials though. :)

I have no idea why I included "else" in that.  I'm on the fence about the controller, which has delayed my ordering.

I'll probably pass on it as I've got other more pressing expenses rather than another controller.

These are very well put together.  Recommended viewing!

If you're in anyway interested in the Steam Controller I would recommend you watch Part 1 of this two-part series.

If you bought a Steam LInk and/or use console controllers on your PC, then I highly recommend you watch Part 2 of the series.  I found it quite enlighting, essentially showing you how the Steam Controller Configurator is basically becoming Steam's version of the Bliss-Box.  You can configure any controller with the configurator!   At around the 10:30 mark you may just learn something about the Steam Link you didn't know as well.

In the end, I decided to just go with the Link as well.  After learning from the above, I believe the SC is a massively configurable piece of hardware that I may revisit down the road. 

That said, I've currently got controllers for those titles I wish to use them for, but prefer KB/Mouse for FPS, RTS etc.... , and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Interesting. I watched both parts and that bit about using the link to launch retroarch caught my attention too. I'll have to check that out!

Now I want to try that steam controller. The Keyboard and mouse has always been what's holding me back from fully enjoying PC games. I'm a console guy. I do prefer the mouse for aiming in FPS, but the controller for running. That's where this came in:

splitfish_fragfx_piranha_ps3_controller_

It's a great compromise of advantages and gets too little run in the mainstream controller debates. The split controller design is more comfortable in a laying position too. However, the support for it in console and PC games was barely acceptable and I returned it. It should be better than it was. Maybe that steam companion software will add support. Interesting that valve is going down the pinnicle game profiler / xpadder software niche. GameEx may need a plugin for that, especially since xpadder is having issues with win10.

What issues is Xpadder having? I have a plugin for that for GX, and I'm just about to work on revising my code for it. I can maybe do something to address whatever issue it's having.

I just grabbed the latest version of Xpadder, I'll install it and see if it works. It's crazy though, lots of people using it and no one has reported anything except that one person, and I couldn't recreate it then...

There's also some things in that post that don't make sense. Right off the bat, Xbox 1 controllers don't have a wireless dongle, do they? I thought they were Bluetooth? Also, OP says the problem is real, but I don't see any evidence of that anywhere, not even in the Xpadder forums (OP says he posted there, I don't see it).

That specific report seems suspect. @RIP-Felix, do you have a specific issue I can take a look at? I'd love to see if I can fix it.

I have Xpadder but since most of my gameplay is through the X-Arcade Tankstick for anything GameEx (mainly MAME, DAPHNE, and other arcades), I seldom have a need for it. I haven't set it up for use with Gamebase for the Atari 800 and ST games that use a joystick. One person had an unreplicable issue doesn't make it a bug IMO. As for the XB1 controllers, you are correct as they are Bluetooth.

The original XBoxOne controllers work with a proprietary wireless dongle. I have this setup.

XBoxOne S controllers are bluetooth and should work with any compatible dongle (I assume it is v4.something)

I recall there being some issue with Xpadder and Windows 10, maybe with one of the upgrades. Anyway, I don't not use Xpadder, so I did not may that much attention (and I could be mistaken of course).

2 minutes ago, RedDog said:

The original XBoxOne controllers work with a proprietary wireless dongle. I have this setup.

XBoxOne S controllers are bluetooth and should work with any compatible dongle (I assume it is v4.something)

I recall there being some issue with Xpadder and Windows 10, maybe with one of the upgrades. Anyway, I don't not use Xpadder, so I did not may that much attention (and I could be mistaken of course).

Good to know about the wireless dongle. I didn't get my XB1 until I got the S so was unaware.

Same here. I didn't even realize there was more than one version of the controller (although I did know there was more than one version of the console).

I'm a Nintendo/PS4 kid. :)

4 hours ago, Adultery said:

I just grabbed the latest version of Xpadder, I'll install it and see if it works. It's crazy though, lots of people using it and no one has reported anything except that one person, and I couldn't recreate it then...

There's also some things in that post that don't make sense. Right off the bat, Xbox 1 controllers don't have a wireless dongle, do they? I thought they were Bluetooth? Also, OP says the problem is real, but I don't see any evidence of that anywhere, not even in the Xpadder forums (OP says he posted there, I don't see it).

That specific report seems suspect. @RIP-Felix, do you have a specific issue I can take a look at? I'd love to see if I can fix it.

No, I don't have an issue personally. I don't use x-padder much myself, there are a few games that I need it for, but I never really liked using it much. I think it was that thread I was referring to. Seemed like there was an issue that hadn't been resolved, but I admit I haven't been following it that closely. Sorry for the confusion. Regardless, if steam's mapper lives up to their promises, it might be worth plugin integration. Every controller? Come on...