All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What is the right combination of files for pindmdv3?

Pablo Smiraglia

I still have inconsistent behavior with my PINDMDv3 (3.05 32bit). At first boot, the DMD images and videos show well in PBX, about 75% of the time I exit a table, PBX just stops showing videos or images on it (stays blank). All vpin emulators I use (VP+VPinMAME, FX2/3+DMDext, FP+dmdintercept, etc.) have no problems with the DMD, even after its stops working in PBX.

It looks to me that there is either a race condition, or an incompatible dll that remains loaded, then PBX cannot load the version it likes.

When the DMD works, I can see a line in the PBX log stating that the external DMD has been started, when it does not, nothing is stated in the log.

I think a good starting point would be to understand the right combination of DLLS and ini files that should be in place for this DMD to operate properly in PBX. I have 3 or 4 different versions of most of the following files (from PBX, lucky, freezy, etc.). I believe I’ve tried pretty much every combination.

pindmd.dll

pindmd.ini

dmddevice.dll

dmddevice.ini

xdmd.dll

xdmddevice.dll

Can Tom, or someone that has pindmdv3 working flawlessly in PBX, share the list of files above they have in place (filename, date, size)? I’m still not clear on the role of each DLL in the context of pbx. Is xdmd supposed to call pindmd.dll or dmddevice.dll ? If the later, should pindmd.dll be removed ?

For the emulators, I use dmddevice/DMDext 1.7 from Freezy. It is worth noting that I also use freezy’s1.7 dmddevice.dll with xdmd/xdmddevice and UltraDMD, with no issues. If I try that combination of dlls PBX hangs when launching emulators.

I could provide logs and config files, but they don;t seem relevant at this time. Maybe a version of pbx with extra logging, would help ? Dmddevice.log and pindmd.log are not helpful.

I have in a directory:

dmddevice.dll dated 09/27/17

dmddevice config file 

dmddevice.log

dmdext.exe dated 09/27/17

dmdext.log

My batch files:

For FX3:

ECHO
start D:\dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx3 --no-virtual --quit-when-done 

For PinballArcade DX11

.\dmdext mirror --source=pinballarcade --no-virtual 

I haven't updated to v1.7 yet.

12 minutes ago, hlr53 said:

I have in a directory:

dmddevice.dll dated 09/27/17

dmddevice config file 

dmddevice.log

dmdext.exe dated 09/27/17

dmdext.log

My batch files:

For FX3:

ECHO
start D:\dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx3 --no-virtual --quit-when-done 

For PinballArcade DX11

.\dmdext mirror --source=pinballarcade --no-virtual 

I haven't updated to v1.7 yet.

no xdmd.dll or xdmdnative.dll and no pindmd.dll ? 
and, to confirm, you play DMD images and videos when in PBX, and those work as you come back from pbx from the emulators ? all this with pindmdv3?

No, that is all I have in the root directory of my secondary drive. I have never played with xdmd.dll or xdmdnative.dll. Not sure what they do?

I haven't tried anything fancy like playing colorized DMD videos or single color DMDs videos outside of the emulators. My DMD is only active

when a game is playing that utilizes a DMD. Inside PBX I run FX3, Future Pinball and Visual Pinball with the DMDv3 just fine. I launch

PinballArcade via NoEx's Free Camera Mod. DMD runs fine with it.

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

Just circling around on this one, I think I figured out the issue and overall it's a timing issue. If you create a BAT file that launches dmdext (but have a TIMEOUT of something like 11) it will work perfectly and without issue on every table.