All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Advice for new MAME setup

stigzler

On 6/29/2018 at 4:57 PM, simbamame said:

IVE NEVER Updated any mame stuff TBH ive no idea what set? i have, all i know is ive got version 0.179 of Mame and god only knows what rom set ive got, ive just download loads from different places and it works for me, plays the games i wont...so my question is

Do i actually need to match mame verstion with ROM versions??

For the best compatibility, you really should. Version miss-match can lead to games not working or not showing up in your GameEx mame list.

In my opinion, there is no reason to grab a later version of Mame if you are not upgrading your roms as well.

It also makes troubleshooting more difficult since we generally assume that the versions match.

EDIT: One more thing. When 'upgrading' rom versions, don't just copy over new roms into your existing set. Either 'get' a new full set or use clrmamepro to upgrade your existing set. (and no worries if you thought copying upgrade sets into your existing set was the right way to go...at one time I thought that was the proper way to do it as well)

• 1 month later...

So, figured the issue. In Felix's original post here:

He had used a character that looked like a minus on one of the command line switches, but it wasn't one (if ran in cmd - threw an error). Replaced with minus and now all's well! Also edited it in Felix's post too..