All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] Screen saver will not run

8trek

For whatever reason now i cannot get the screen saver to run.  Will attach my config file.  Whether i wait for the amount of time set or try to kick it off manually doesn't work.  If i try manually the screen goes blank for a second then comes right back to the menu.  Log and ini files attached.

Thought it was fairly simple and not sure what other information i can provide here but please let me know otherwise.  Thanks.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Looks like barely a blink before it starts in attract mode and exits:

16:02:53.1  6/18/2018:  Starting Attract Mode
16:02:53.1  6/18/2018:  Reading MAME hall of fame
16:02:53.2  6/18/2018:  Disabling Attract Mode
16:03:01.2  6/18/2018:  Exiting GameEx!

According to your gameex.ini, you have the following setting:

AttractOnlyFavs=True

I believe this setting will only allow for those ROMS you have listed as favorites to play in attract mode. Have you verified that there are favorites listed in the data.db3 file located in \gameex\data? If this is not the case and you have not saved any ROMS as favorites, change the value to False and try again.

I tested a similar setup on my 15.32 rig and It worked fine. I know you have 14.82, but this is what I have.

I am not sure if it is even triggering the hook. You may want to try testing with a single video file that you know already works through GameEx such as a video snap from a game. Also confirm that each of the games in the favorite category is launching properly.

Another thing to check is to see if any plugins are interfering by disabling them all and then bringing them back one by one or in groups..

Also, you using an iPac or similar? Could be detecting a key press.

We also don't generally provide support for old versions, so if it is a bug, there isn't anything we can do... Not that we won't try and help, mind you. JSYK.

16 hours ago, RedDog said:

I tested a similar setup on my 15.32 rig and It worked fine. I know you have 14.82, but this is what I have.

I am not sure if it is even triggering the hook. You may want to try testing with a single video file that you know already works through GameEx such as a video snap from a game. Also confirm that each of the games in the favorite category is launching properly.

Another thing to check is to see if any plugins are interfering by disabling them all and then bringing them back one by one or in groups..

i tried using the play videos too option and just play videos pointed at my video snap folder... this worked.  

every fav game launches however is a mute point says i've already attempted setting the favs only option to false as indicated earlier.

tried disabling the only 2 plugins i had been using, ledblinky and marquee masher.... didn't help either.

What about touchscreen support? Are you running a touchscreen on your rig? There have been some seemingly unrelated things that turning that feature off has helped. To paraphrase General Beringer from "War Games" - Goddammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!

BTW, if all else fails (or maybe even before), if you still have the GameEx 14.82 install file, you could try to install over the existing install. Occasionally that is known to fix an issue that can't be pinned down via normal troubleshooting.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:28 PM, Adultery said:

Also, you using an iPac or similar? Could be detecting a key press.

We also don't generally provide support for old versions, so if it is a bug, there isn't anything we can do... Not that we won't try and help, mind you. JSYK.

i tried to reply to this but the forum went down apparently right before i could get it out yesterday.  i do have an ipac and an ultimate board however i don't see any keys being hit when off the computer and besides if i was able to run the screen saver with videos wouldn't that negate this possibility?  

15 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

What about touchscreen support? Are you running a touchscreen on your rig? There have been some seemingly unrelated things that turning that feature off has helped. To paraphrase General Beringer from "War Games" - Goddammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!

i disabled the touch screen days ago trying to debug another issue.  Nice quote btw...  i particularly liked  your own recently....  "loads an xml file.. but is searchable!  Hold my beer.."  funny stuff....  :-)

found this and didn't realize there was a seperate program, always assumed gameex just handled it.. anyway see this guys problem never got resolved... did try to install the program and got same behavior this person had... still can't get screen saver to work for the life of me.

Not related but I looked into it.

The issue is because it cant find any fully working MAME games to run.

The screensaver will only run MAME games it finds to be verified and fully working.

To work you will need to ensure Verify roms is turned on and that it is working. So please check that out

Thanks.

Tom.

The "verify ROMS" option is already set to Yes.  Really confused.... i've got close to 200 mame games as favorites and they all work just fine.  I've just recently done a fresh install of GX on another PC with minimal changes to the config other than the mame settings and screen saver setting... doesn't work on it either.  I didn't register that install, don't know if that matters.

Curious, when on a multi monitor system... what should happen?  Do the other screens go blank?  Probably just fishing as i just tried to disable my second monitor but result was same.

other things may be worth mentioning...  although i have don't show adult games set to not show i still see some in the full mame list..... also, frequently have to delete the gamelist.txt file and then update list or info at the bottom of page which pops up is incorrectly pointing to another game.

just installed the latest download 15.32 on my second pc mentioned earlier... ran an update and saw the number of available games drop by about 1000....  and more importantly the screen saver now works.  Is this most likely a case that my mame version 192 doesn't work with an older version of GX in this case 14.82?

6 minutes ago, 8trek said:

Is this most likely a case that my mame version 192 doesn't work with an older version of GX in this case 14.82?

Most likely yes. MAME changes and I update GameEx if I need to when it does.

Is there any particular reason why you are running an old version of GameEx?

Tom,

just sent you a PM.  I've purchased the registered version twice since 2011.  My last purchase was in 2016.  Unless i purchase again i'm stuck with the older version...  Guess i'll be making another putchase... given the amount of time and money i've put into this project it's a drop in the bucket.  Please review my PM and let me know.  Thank you.

Please mark this topic as resolved.  Updating to the latest GameEx version has corrected this problem.  Thank you all for taking the time to reply... sincerely appreciate this bunch.