All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] update game list missing

8trek

Ok, first things first.

Turn this off:

EnableTouchScreen=True

Supply the theme.ini for your custom theme:

theme=AP01MAME

There's also this that sticks out:

17:27:22.33  6/6/2018:  Attempting to load game list
17:27:23.28  6/6/2018:  Not Restoring Emulator Database From Cache: 1000

Did you delete your cache files?

Yes, i've disabled the custom menu is what i meant.

I don't know what cache files you speak of... please enlighten me.  What do you think this means?

I've also done as you've said to turn off touch screen stuff, didn't even realize it was on.  

thanks.

14 hours ago, Adultery said:

Supply the theme.ini for your custom theme:

theme=AP01MAME

I still need this also please.

16 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Any of the files in the root GameEx folder with cache in the file name or extension.

Delete them as they will rebuild.

so i don't see any cache files in the root folder but do see them in DATA and other areas.... does this tell us something then?

No, he was just pointing you to the wrong spot. They're in the DATA folder. :)

I'm making the assumption that you were able to get update list to show. Is that right?

You said earlier that you can run roms from MAMEui, right? Can you run roms from CL in mame64.exe ? They are totally different, the results of one won't be anything to do with the other.

What happens if you sub out mame64.exe with MAMEui.exe (or whatever that executable is called) and change your working path to there?

Did you verify that the working path for MAME is truly the path it's located in? Is your MAME in a weird spot that needs administrator permission?

Did you run a search and make sure you don't have GameEx installed in two places? Or MAME?

We're just getting started, friend! I got tons of ideas. I'll do my best to get ya through this.

the update list not showing up issue would happen after certain events.... sorry i've done this so many times that i really can't pinpoint when it starts happening

i can run the games from both the ui and command, that said i realized this morning i failed to do some key things which are get all the rom update packs since 175 and the whole clrmamepro procedure including rebuilding.... so have solved this.  therefore all roms are up to date which is 192.  I've also replaced the mameinfo.dat generated by gx with the 192 version as well as catver.ini and nplayers.ini

i'm full admin with full rights to all folders/files

all paths are correct

don't have it installed twice

okay, all this said, i'm starting all over and taking things in baby steps with the hopes of figuring out the root problem... as of right now i've got a fresh install of 14.82 (sorry, for now i want to see if i can avoid paying again) , haven't added any plugins or custom menus, stuff of that nature.... i'm also not just replacing the main gx ini file and going through all settings and adjusting one by one.  I will post progress soon.

thank you very much!

Setting the MAME.exe to run as administrator as well as GameEx.exe helps as well. You will eventually need to upgrade to the latest version as troubleshooting old versions becomes more difficult as enhancements are added and bug fixes are implemented. 

Best of luck!

I wish I had a full changelog for GameEx all in one page... I know there were a couple times we had to update GameEx because MAME broke the xml structure, and I know there was a pretty major update right around GameEx 14.82 (or maybe it was 14.83).

I'm trying to find the update we did for MAME compatibility, since your old GX version may not play nice with MAME 0.198. I'll let you know when I find it, because if you can't get MAME to help generate a proper GameList, that's your problem right there. And MAME's -listxml would certainly be a problem if GameEx isn't able to parse it.

• Like 1

I think we noticed issues with MAME 0.185. I think the approach that needs to be taken is:

- Upgrade to the latest GameEx version If he has to pay to get the licensed content, then so be it. We have spent too much time to troubleshoot a deprecated version.

- Upgrade to the latest MAME version. Again, for the same reasons, anything earlier is deprecated

- Take it in steps - configure MAME and GameEx, verify the Update List option shows in default-default theme with NO custom menus enabled.

Just my 2 cents. Spend it wisely!

Hey guys... i'm in good shape for now.  The one thing i did different this time is not copying over the gameex.ini file but rather going through it all one by one and configuring.  The file winds up half the size from what i had before.  I suspect all my issues were with a bad gameex.ini file... after many years of just hanging on to this file to save time....  don't know but that's my guess?

Recently finished building a pedestal style rig and anxious to get er done.  it's quite a project with 2 wheel/spinner, 2 push/pull/spinners, 3 sticks, 2 pot pedals, guns, etc... and quickly realized the mame version i was on wouldn't work due to the device ID issues addressed in later builds.. otherwise never would have updated in the first place...  bottom line my goal is to make it stable and working the way i want it, then never tinker with again.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time at responding.