All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] update game list missing

8trek

i'm using a custom menu configuration and do not see anyway to add the "update game list" pick.  Oddly enough at one point i do recall seeing it somewhere but now for whatever reason can't seem to find it or how to force it to show up.

Hi 8trek,

You have to turn on Updage Game List in the Enable/Disable Functions area of the Setup Wizard. Then the option to rebuild the Mame list will appear in the Mame menu if you are using the integrated Mame settings. Note that the option is only applicable to the integrated Mame.

Using custom menus will not 'hide' the Update Game List option as it is part of the integrated Mame.

well after posting my question  i realized i should have also mentioned i know about the setting you are referring to and it is also set to NOT hide.  So that's why this is so frustrating because it's just not found anywhere inside the menus.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:40 AM, 8trek said:

well after posting my question  i realized i should have also mentioned i know about the setting you are referring to and it is also set to NOT hide.  So that's why this is so frustrating because it's just not found anywhere inside the menus.

Your gameex.ini shows that the 'Hide Update List' parameter is set to 'No' as you said. You could try disabling it, saving, and enabling again to see if it helps. Worth a try.

Am I understanding your CustomMenu config correctly that Mame is supposed to reside under 'All Video Games'? If so, do any Mame games show up there?

Also, what happens if you turn CustomMenus off? Does the option to trigger the list appear in the Mame section at the bottom of the list?

One last note: Most of the time when you change a parameter in the Mame Setting, GameEx will automaticaly regenerate the gamelist for Mame the next time you run GameEx. It does not fix the issue of the option not appearing, but it shoudl let you rebuild the game list.

after several more efforts finally just undid all customization temporarily in order to see the update list.  Now that i have my customization back am seeing a new issue which addresses your question regarding "do any mame games show up there" (inside "all video games")...  yes ALL do however so do ALL clones eventhough i have gx set to NOT show clones.. have run a couple more update lists but this problem still is hanging around... should i start a new thread or can you assist with this?  I did as you suggested temporarily switch those options on then back off as well but didn't help.

when you say "rebuild the game list"... is this something different than "update list"?

is there a sure fire way to just clear everything related to what shows up in games and rebuild/update list?.. maybe involving deleting a bunch of files?

might be worth mentioning this as well...  was on mame 175 and went to 192... i'm running gx 14.82 and see that the mame version inside the mameinfo.dat only goes to 181... bottom line, can you run into a problem with updating mame and not gx?  i was a paid member for a while and i believe this version of gx i have is the latest "paid" version i can use.

thank you.

It is generally recommended to upgrade to the latest version of GameEx as there may be enhancements to leverage the latest emulator functionality changes, such as MAME. Hard to say that this is the issue but possible. You can probably replace the mameinfo.dat file with one for your MAME version - Google "mameinfo.dat 0.192". Once replaced, run Update List again.

batting zero here... just uninstalled gx again, deleted all folders, fresh install, copied over the config file and some bare essential stuff... now when i do update list nothing happens.... losing my mind.

Was this a fresh install of 14.82 or the latest? Obtain a new mameinfo.dat file to match your MAME version? 

You will want to attach new copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files for review.

potential dumb question.. have looked online and can only find even more recent versions of the mameinfo.dat file.... how does one get this file and/or make this file for their particular version?

fresh install of 14.83  since i believe this was the last version i could run with my paid sub.

nevermind found one online and some other dat files for 0192.... now i guess i'm understanding that because i used my prior dat files from 0175 to rebuild/scan using cmpro this could be the cause of some of my issues.... maybe?  anyway, going to rebuild/scan my mame with the correct dat files and see if i can get any farther.

uninstalled 14.83 and reinstalled 14.82... now have the update list again however still shows every mame game eventhough have clones turned off....  going in circles here.

just installed the latest and greatest gx and still no update list available even after modifying settings in mame.  also clones still show up as well. At this point i'm dead in water, have spent countless hours on this going around in circles.  Tom, please, are you out there... need help!

CustomMenu.ini

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Not certain it will be any better but you may want to consider installing the latest version of GameEx as you are a few version updates removed from current - 14.83 vs. 15.31. That is a wide enough gulf in updates tp make it very difficult to troubleshoot.

I didn't look at the logs (responding while dealing with insomnia) and assumed that latest and greatest meant the latest version you could install with your registration (14.83) as you referenced earlier. My apologies.

yep, well "if" it turns out my problem is my last paid version of gameex isn't compatible with the version of mame i'm using now then i'll buck up for a third time... i only updated mame due to the issue with not being able to establish mapping multiple controls in the cfg using the ID technique, apparently 175/176 was right before they improved upon this.  Guess i could go with mame 181 which it appears shows up by default in mameinfo file geenrated with gx 14.82 if that will work, but at this point i've been going round and round and given i'm now trying 15.31 (non-paid version) with the mame i have and it still has problems, i'm going to wait trying anything else until somebody can tell what's going on.  Got to be something simple and shouldn't be this difficult, hope you or Tom can look at my files and give me something to go on.

thanks.

@8trek I think you may want to slow things down a bit. Most of the people who help others in this forum do so with their free time. You may not get replies right away. Also, if you do too much at one time, volunteers may not be able to keep up.

If you want to try things on your own, that's great. It is one way to learn about the programs and how they interact; but, if you are asking for some direction, stop your own troubleshooting, give feedback, answer questions, etc so the volunteers can be on the same page as you. It us a slower process, but I think its the best way to do it via posting.

BTW, it is too early to guess that there could be a GameEx/Mame compatibility problem. Those types of things do not crop up very often and when they do, they are usually easy to replicate. Not enough troubleshooting has happened in this thread yet.

So, what mame version are you currently using? 175, 182, 192?

Are the ROMs the same version as the Mame?

Are the Mame executables the official releases from mamedev.org or do you compile your own?

Do you manually update your ROMs when switching between mame versions or do you, ah, 'find' new ones?

One or two things that haven't been asked/suggested and I do not know if it makes a difference, but here goes: Does the version of the ROMS match the version of MAME being used? If not, could be problematic in several ways. If not, you have to square that first, and make sure you are using the corresponding mameinfo.dat file.

Let's troubleshoot the issue with the latest GameEx version. 

Next. Disable custom menus. I know you want to use them but if they are enabled then they are getting in the way of the real issue.

using 192

executable came from the official site

i used clmamepro scan operation to update the roms from 175

i've got the matching mameinfo.dat file

now trying gameex 15.31 (latest)

i am using the default menu.ini

presently cannot get the update list to show up and also shows all clones

also worth noting i can play any game just fine from the mameui and it does allow me to hide all cones