All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

VPCabs Vertigo Cabinet

Draco1962

My cab is like that, it's nice for vertical scrolling shooters and pinball. You don't loose much real estate for width, so 4:3 content looks the same. It's just the black borders above and below that have to be dealt with. Custom bezels and such, which can be a PITA to get right for every game on the system.

I like the LCD at the top for displaying the simulated DMD for the pins and the marquees for MAME. I agree about the custom bezels would be problematic unless you aren't really concerned about the letterboxing effect.

I think this would be great for those with space constraints and work well for so many old arcade titles that have vertically oriented screens.

For me, I'd rather a conventional pinball playfield, but I still think this is really cool.

VP Cabs seems at the top of their game, I like their innovative and out of the box thinking!

Bezels can be a major PITA but, if you have just a handful of games, then well worth it. If you are one of the "Gotta get them all" crowd, then you will spend your life creating them and not playing the games you are trying to dress up. 

I started off as the latter because there was so much new stuff that I hadn't encountered in the Arcade side of gaming alone. There are a few gems out there, but there are many more that are just rocks and deserve to be kicked rather than polished with a bezel.

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Bezels can be a major PITA but, if you have just a handful of games, then well worth it. If you are one of the "Gotta get them all" crowd, then you will spend your life creating them and not playing the games you are trying to dress up. 

I started off as the latter because there was so much new stuff that I hadn't encountered in the Arcade side of gaming alone. There are a few gems out there, but there are many more that are just rocks and deserve to be kicked rather than polished with a bezel.

Yeah, I only did the ones I play the most with custom bezels. The rest I generated from a template using CpWizbiz. It just added a custom controls pic to the black space at the bottom. If I remember correctly, I never really finished that project to my satisfaction and moved on to other projects. It's been years now since I abandoned the effort. lol.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stigzler said:

Can well believe it - that CPWizBiz is terribly over-complicated and with a clunky design. The author should be shot with baby crap. In the eye.

A little "soft serve" for your ocular enjoyment... pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png