All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

All things Atari VCS Thread

Draco1962

That's all part of their marketing plan.  " Gaming and Home Entertainment Streaming Device with Open Platform for Creativity and Customization! ".  " Built on an open source Linux OS so you can add your own software and apps to customize your own platform. "

Have a read here:

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/the-birth-of-the-atari-vcs-operating-system-part-1-d8f43bfa0290

Reminds me of what SONY initially did with the PS3, except they aimed at the moon and Atari is aiming lower. I doubt that we'll be able to install windows or mac OS'. It will probably be limited to Linux distros. This is kinda a trend I've noticed in the retro gaming scene in recent years. I'm fine with attract mode and retropie, but how cool would a GameEX Linux port be?

Sony cut their users short by blocking access to the PS3's GPU.  You can only do so much with just a CPU.  So it bombed because it was basically useless.  Atari promises complete, unfiltered access to everything under the hood.  Granted, the machine is designed for Atari emulation, so don't expect $3k in parts compared to a new gaming PC.  But just the idea, that Atari is behind it's users and wants them to tinker.. it's something completely new!

As for installing Windows/MacOS....  There are ways to do it...  You can even run Windows inside Linux Distro's.  I can't think of what it's called at the moment, although I believe it's called WINE.  Plus don't forget that if you have a PC nearby, you can even stream games from STEAM using Moonlight (I've not tried setting it up on my RetroPie yet, mostly because I don't see the advantage of it over just using my PC connected to the TV).  There's lots of things you can do.

WINE is more like a windows emulator, to get windows only programs to run. From what I've read it has varied success, but in my tinkering with linux in the past WINE required too much setup and fuss to get working - it's been like 8 years since I last played with it so it's probably different now.

Don't get me wrong, linux is great. It's my preferred OS for this type of product (Retropie + Retroarch). It's just that the single board computers available until now have been too meager to handle the full range of Retro systems I'm interested in emulating - atari to gamecube. N64 seems to be the limit. PS2/DC/GC are still firmly in the PC realm. PS3 has to be hacked to allow it to be used in this way, since SONY backtracked on the other OS function originally available. If Atari provides us a capable small form factor retro console with homebrew in mind, that's a cool development.

However, I'm with tthurman. It's still too cryptic for me. I need to see the advantages of the system before I commit. I don't know why, actually. I usually jump on these retro consoles. I suppose one thing is that it's an atari inspired device, not a mini re-release. I like the diminutive clones of my childhood consoles. This isn't that. Maybe I just don't get the point. Is it a roku, atari classic console, steam machine, music player, homebrew device all in one? I can see that being appealing, but I want to know exactly what I get before I pay for it. I need to see it in action.

• 3 months later...

As most of you that have been following the Atari VCS saga, it was not ready for Spring/Summer 2019 release this year and has been pushed back to Fall/Winter 2019. Following is the latest update

d94657aa-1176-4c35-94c4-82c43f7dddf3.jpg

Hello Backers!

In case you missed it: AMD has now officially announced its new Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 SoC in a press release on April 16th, 2019. They proudly mention the Atari VCS partnership and included the following quote from Atari:

“With the AMD Ryzen Embedded R1000 powering the Atari VCS, we can support the 4K 60fps HDR content that users expect from a modern, secure gaming and entertainment system.” said Michael Arzt, COO of Atari Connected Devices. “AMD’s new Ryzen Embedded SoC will also help protect the VCS’ environment and content as we support an unprecedented open-access model that allows Atari’s highly-creative community to install any other operating system side by side with the Atari OS.” 

You can also check out AMD’s Ryzen Embedded R1000 release trailer here.

Below are the specs straight from AMD:

9d785278-2018-421c-a029-e3be188a1995.png

We are thrilled to be among the first companies to utilize this exciting new AMD product. We are also honored to be partnered with AMD and incredibly pleased with how well everything is proceeding with the Atari VCS project thanks to their assistance.

The team really appreciated all the great feedback regarding the updated design of the Atari VCS after our last update! Stay-tuned for a deep-dive into all the details of the final Classic Joystick and Modern Controller designs in our next Medium blog coming soon.

Thanks again!

— The Atari VCS Team

12 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

We are thrilled to be among the first companies to utilize this exciting new AMD product. We are also honored to be partnered with AMD and incredibly pleased with how well everything is proceeding with the Atari VCS project thanks to their assistance.

The team really appreciated all the great feedback regarding the updated design of the Atari VCS after our last update! Stay-tuned for a deep-dive into all the details of the final Classic Joystick and Modern Controller designs in our next Medium blog coming soon.

Thanks again!

Lots of superlative adjectives and nouns in that press release, inflating the message. I'm tired of talk, I want to see a product. If they wait too long the market is going to lose it's nostalgia, repeating SONY's PS Classic flop (though I think it's a great little piece of gear).

I don't mind the delay.  They were on track and ready to release then decided this new chip would be a huge increase in their specs and would be able to inflate the sponsorship from AMD.  As far as I'm concerned, I've already paid and they're going to be giving me a console when it's done.  I'd be demanding a refund if I paid and learned the project was cancelled.. but it wasn't.  It's just going to be a few more months while they work out the new design.  I'm still on board.  But if they delay a 2nd time, I might start to get concerned.

I think it's pretty safe to say that it will launch at some point.  As we've all seen first hand, continued delays and lacking information along the way all but kill any momentum recognized at announcement.  Even if it's a decent product, which it probably will be, it's unlikely to be hugely successful now as it's generated a fair amount of negative press along the way.

I'd be more impressed if they went down the ARM processor path.

Spoiler

RISC based processing is the future and Intel/AMD know it. They're both already hitting diminishing performance walls (falling short of Moore's law). They can't indefinitely miniaturize the manufacturing process to increase transistor count/cores. There's an atomic limit they're fast approaching. But they're better than ARM, right? ARM is already at 7nm, smaller than Intel and AMD, and WAY more efficient thanks to RISC architecture. Given the same specs (transistors, cores, clock speed, etc.), a RISC based ARM chips can get more done in less time than CISC based Intel/AMD. However, AMD/Intel have had the PC market cornered forever and until recently had Moore's Law on their side. They were able to brute force performance gains over RISC first thanks to increased clock speeds, but when that hit a heat wall, they moved on to more cores along with miniaturization. Now that they too are reaching a wall, RISC's effiency will catch up quickly and surpass CISC. The real issue is software support. Everything PC is CISC based, and incompatible with RISC architecture, requiring ARM users to use an x86 emulator - which suck compared to native x86. RISC native programs run just as good, with much less power/heat. Which is why tablet, phone, and other low heat/power device manufacturers have been using them. Heavy hitters like Apple and Google are pushing RISC architecture, and the writing is on the wall. Software will fall in line . The question is, will AMD/Intel make the switch before it's too late for them to compete with ARM? Because once the software industry goes RISC, ARM will be there to welcome them.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I got the email about this yesterday.  The design has changed a little from what was originally shown.  They added a 2nd button to the joystick, and made the stick rotate for paddle games (not sure how well that will work).  They also officially announced that both controllers will be Bluetooth with an optional USB cable (for charging and play-while-charging) and both will have RUMBLE.  Controllers now a days pretty much have to have rumble, but my most recent controller I've been playing retro with (8BitDo SF30Pro) is supposed to have it but it doesn't work and I miss it.  I REALLY like like LED's around the joystick that light up depending on the direction it's pointed.. that's awesome.  Plus they suggested it might be used in games so it adds some extra external indicators for games (I'm thinking stuff like an RPM/MPH/KmPH indicator, or an active radar for shooters, etc).  That might be cool.  And they've gone over it multiple times in their announcement that EVERYTHING is customizable.  So that's cool too, if you like to use A instead of B for jumping, etc, so it's not just configurable in-game, but at the hardware level (probably from some OS-Level on screen setup)

I get more excited the more details they announce and the closer we get to release.  I don't know if they plan on including a hard drive or not, but it WILL have like 4 USB ports in the back, so you can attach an external.  And they haven't really spoken a whole lot about their OS and the user-accessible side to load your OWN OS, but I know that's one of their key promises and what I'm most looking forward to.  Keep up the hard work guys, the console is looking good!

Also (for the backers) did you see the bit where they said they added a bezel below the console to make it appear to be floating?  I like it.  It seems like a nice bit of polish and just what the console needed.

I always hated the Atari joystick.

Don't get me wrong, it was groundbreaking at release, but it was really so lacking in so many ways as a good console, and that joystick.....grrr, terrible!

The new stick does a nice job with the retro style looks, just hope it's not a popsicle stick embedded in concrete like it's predecessor.

3 hours ago, tthurman said:

I always hated the Atari joystick.

Don't get me wrong, it was groundbreaking at release, but it was really so lacking in so many ways as a good console, and that joystick.....grrr, terrible!

The new stick does a nice job with the retro style looks, just hope it's not a popsicle stick embedded in concrete like it's predecessor.

What? You did not enjoy carpal tunnel syndrome along with your blister on a thumb blister blister? Blasphemer!

• Like 1

when I opened my OG A2600 controller to clean and maintain it I noticed that the plastic was cracked by the force people were using. I saw what the issue was. The problem isn't with the controller being stiff, it's with there not being enough fulfillment when the contact switches were depressed. That happens without much resistance at all, but gives you no click to feel. That leads you to force it further against the plastic that stops it from bending further. That's why it feels so stiff, because your bending it too far and it's resisting being broken. It's an interesting case study in the psychology of controller design. We need feedback when the contact engages to be reassured the controller fulfilled our request. It also reveals how we react when we don't get that fulfillment...violently applying extra force to be damn sure it heard us...lol. It explains why we got so many blisters and remember that controller with true nostalgia (Nostos, means homecoming. -algia means pain. Nostalgia literally means "homecoming pain", but is used in the sense of homesickness or a painful longing for the past). The controller didn't respond in the way we expected it should, so we hurt it and ourselves in frustration. That's a axiom in psychology that can be applied to many different scenarios. We do it to people, pets, everything. It reveals a primitive impatience for unpredictability and ignorant retaliation against things that don't respond as we feel they should. Basicly, predictability is safety. Unpredictability is dangerous. It stress us out and engages the fight or flight response (a real biochemical phenomenon that bitch slaps reason into submission. Emotion is in the driver's seat untill the endorphins wear off).

The controller was a piss poor design and the 2600 as a whole was pretty terrible in pretty much every way imaginable, with the small exception that it came at a time when there really was no other.

Good joystick design had been mastered by Happ in the arcades already, so at the time there was really no reason to incorporate such a shitty controller.  Looking back, most of the games were so terrible it's almost laughable that anyone bothered to buy them.  I suppose that's what ultimately led to the failure of Atari in the console market.  

Continually delaying this one, only to showcase "controllers" now when projected release is already months late to the game.....pretty much serves to confirm they really have no idea what they are building and are simply shooting from the hip along the way.  Who knows, they may actually release something really cool, or just another shit console (but with better controllers)!  

At this point, if it turns out to be anything less than a complete disappointment, it'll be a success, IMO.

Oh my! Well, they have my money so I am stuck with whatever they dish out. As for the 2600 being a total POS, I can't say I agree. There were other consoles such as the RCA Studio II and Bally Astrocade was released the same year and they were not all that great. It pretty much held its own with most of the other second gen consoles.

As for controller design, it was still in its infancy throughout the "Second Generation" period to which the 2600 belonged. For that matter, it wasn't until the "Fifth Generation" that ergonomics were really paid attention to with the introduction of the Sony Playstation.

Don't get me wrong, it had it's gems, but some of the ports....beyond terrible.  TESB would be an example, why, just why.  Pac-Man, another.  Most arcade games just didn't translate well over to the 2600.

No disagreement about the ports, but you have to keep in mind that the hardware for the arcades was vastly different than the consoles.  I had the classic controller in my drawer and used Wico as well.