All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

All things Atari VCS Thread

Draco1962

Really, for three million US, I myself could get past a porotype pretty easily. Production though and how cheap you get it for sale is a different matter. I also wonder how much they paid for the name alone.

Unless its a total scam, or there really dumb its probably an android device wit some over priced software development.

Atari: Antstream Arcade to bring thousands of retro games to Atari VCS console

"Accessible from the Atari VCS system dashboard at launch, the Antstream Arcade app for the Atari VCS will offer a 30-day free trial, with subscription options available for $10/month or $8/month (total $95.88) for a yearly subscription."

Should be free for the first year or so for Indigogo supporters due to the delays IMO, but I digress...

"The whole lineup of Atari VCS systems, bundles, and peripherals are available for preorder now at GameStop.com, Walmart.com, and AtariVCS.com, for shipments starting in March 2020. Pricing starts at $250 for the Atari VCS 400 (4GB) Onyx Base model and goes up to $390 for one of three Atari VCS 800 (8GB) “all-in” system bundles that include the Atari VCS Classic Joystick (available separately for $50) and Atari VCS Modern Controller ($60), which were created in partnership with PowerA. Atari will announce international presale dates soon.

Arzt said everything is on track for March 2020. The first 10,000 units will go toward the Indiegogo crowdfunding fans, who will get their consoles starting in December. He said fans can look forward to additional product updates and announcements about new games and entertainment content, streaming, software development, distribution, and more in the coming months."

Will report back if I am among the first 10,000 "satisfied" customers...

I was reading the comments on the Medium page where they post their "blog".  A guy was seriously pissed because he's paying $400 for a console and then will have to pay $20 a month subscription for games.  Funny thing was an Atari rep replied back saying gist "You can't buy a new console anywhere in the world and not have to pay money for content".  That sure shut him up quick.  The console is coming WITH games installed lol.  I mean, when you think about it, you're shelling $400 every few years when a new console generation comes out, and with it about $70 a game, plus something like $10 a month (for Xbox Live/etc).  So you really got nothing to complain about.  The games this will be capable of running is going to be on par with anything available for Xbox 360/PS3 era that are A-Rate games.  Games of Xbox 1/PS4 quality will probably be limited to indie games, or inhouse marketplace/arcade genre.  But it will also support through their partnership with Antstream a whole library of retro games, including arcade to N64, maybe even PS2.  I'm not sure I'm going to buy in on all the services though.  I might check them out, create an online profile and use the free month service to see what's offered.  But my own retro library in GameEx/Retropie will easily surpass anything they can offer.  But the nice thing is, there's no "gray area" here.  You will be 100% legit and legal with their service.  The Sandbox mode is what I'm excited to break into.  If we truly get 100% access to everything under the hood, it's a game changer.  People will be able to develop for the system without being limited to 50% of the specs, like the PlayStation had (cpu only, no gpu).  They said you can install Windows 10 on it.  I'm running Windows 7 on my own computer, and can run anything and everything I want already on the PC side of games.  I don't know how much more powerful the specs will be compared to my PC.  I know it's not designed to be a PC replacement, there's no substitution for a $1k video card, even if the VCS will output 4k.  But it's still exciting.  And it comes with the Atari brand which is just awesome if you're an old fogey like me. 

4 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

...The Sandbox mode is what I'm excited to break into.  If we truly get 100% access to everything under the hood, it's a game changer.  People will be able to develop for the system without being limited to 50% of the specs, like the PlayStation had (cpu only, no gpu).  They said you can install Windows 10 on it.

I REALLY don't think you can trust what ARARI has to say at this point! They have proven themselves to be habitual liars. Don't make the mistake of believing them just because you want to believe the lie.

I will admit being attracted to the nostalgia,  but not to the extent of others. I ordered the onyx model vs. the full retro woody version. I like what was proposed and truly hope it lives up to most of the hype.  I feel that they did not deliver to the early contributors as promised and there should be compensation of some sort since they are not providing refunds. 

This one is over the top, but I think he makes some good points. He say's you can't cancel your order until the VCS ships and the lowdown from the game industry insiders is it's a complete scam. That day will not come anytime soon, if at all! Also that ATARI's been searching hard for real investors and they'll only touch Atari with a 10" poll to beat them out of  their office! I feel lucky that I didn't get in on this. I was indifferent from the beginning, but kinda interested for the nostalgia factor. Moreover, I like supporting retro inspired projects. In this case, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger.

The Atari name is already famous (or infamous) in the court of public opinion and probably courts of law if they fail to deliver again to the initial investors and possibly even if they do succeed.  I have spent time and money on better and worse things.  This system always something destined for the living room and not joining the Microsoft "totem" (Original, 360, and One) in my office.

Interesting, pretty much confirms what others were speculating. Sounds like the motherboard is not a dummy, that's the good. The lead architect who designed it quits after 6 months without pay, that's the bad. And that's very bad. Debugging and hardware changes will have to come from another architect, which means more delays. If they couldn't pay their lead architect and had to raise more funds by duping Walmart and GameStop customers into pre-ordering, they are really only digging the grave deeper. Gamestop won't get into a costly lawsuit to protect their customers (they're near bankruptcy as it is), but Walmart will bury ATARI alive if they don't deliver. Dangerous game ATARI is playing. The executives who have ATARI locked up and gagged, need to sell it off to someone who can actually do the brand justice.

Sounds like it will only be a linux PC inside a nice box. @hansolo77 you may get just what you asked for and nothing else. Well, assuming they actually do release something.

Atari VCS Plastics, Thermals, and Internals

This is probably a good time to remind our Indiegogo backers of the participatory nature of their support. As we have stated before, the Atari VCS hardware that early backers receive will be 100% finished, but the software on these first units will be early access, exclusively available to our community. Atari will be counting on our many thousands of backers to help improve and enhance the VCS experience with all the great feedback and ideas we know they will provide, in advance of our retail launch in spring 2020. Our goal, as always, has been to make sure that we ship our official products with the help of our biggest fans. Of course we will provide many more details about the Atari VCS software directly to backers as we get closer to shipping.

Hmm... I thought I was buying a console, not beta-testing the VCS UI, etc. So I get my product a year late and I have to beta test it as an early backer to boot (early backer = unpaid labor). Real nice, Atari.

• 1 month later...

I think that they should communicate this to the backers directly rather than them having to find out 3rd party.

I am looking forward to it, but this experience will give me pause before backing another venture.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the best thing he said was "it's your hardware, do what you want with it". That tells me they finally pegged their crowd. DIY'ers, maker/creators, and enthusiasts. I can see the appeal now. And I'm really glad to FINALLY see future for this after 3 years in the making and countless delays. I hope it's worth the wait for you guys. I'm weary of the whole Indiegogo thing after watching this unfold as it has.