All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

All things Atari VCS Thread

Draco1962

Take my money! 

NEW YORK, April 30, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Atari® — One of the world's most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers — today announces that pre-sales of its new Atari VCS™ hardware platform will start May 30, 2018. The pre-sale is exclusive to Indiegogo and features the time-limited Atari VCS Collector's Edition featuring the special retro-inspired wood-front. In addition to the Collector's Edition, fans will have the option to pre-order the Atari VCS Onyx, a sleek black version. Early-bird Atari VCS packages will be offered, including the Onyx starting at $199 USD for a limited period of time. Other packages will include the Classic Joystick and Modern Controller. Initial Atari VCS shipments are planned for Spring 2019. Fans who have signed up for "insider" email alerts at AtariVCS.com before May 24, 2018 will be eligible for special purchase incentives during the pre-sale.

http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/04/30/1490222/0/en/photos/532348/0/532348.jpg?lastModified=04/30/2018%2013:17:12&size=3

Announcement here .

Join the wait list here .

Edited by Draco1962
It's here, in its raw and ever-evolving beta glory!

I am confused by it, but less so than earlier.

It's not a retro console, but it's retro inspired. It's not Atari's entrance back into the major console arena. What is it? A Roku that plays games. It's pre-loaded with Atari vault, 100 classics. From there, I'm assuming it will allow streaming of Steam, Origin, and etc. At least that's what it sounds like they're describing. Basically it's Nvidia Sheild, but by Atari. Honestly, I'm not as geeked about it as I feel I should be.

However, it will be running an Open Linux OS, so it should be hackable soon after launch. I'm sure the hardware specs would make it a capable emulator rig. In this form factor, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Saturn emulation have struggled. Maybe this will change that? PS2? Probably not, but someday.

EDIT:

What's with that X-box rip off controller. Has everyone decided there is no ergonomic improvement over that design or what. Seriously, can't they do something other than giving it a red thumb stick to set it apart?

2 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

EDIT:

What's with that X-box rip off controller. Has everyone decided than there is no ergonomic improvement over that design or what.

I agree 100%

I still think the SNES controller was one of the greatest and those in  ClassicGMR's thread seems long overdue for a mainstream comeback.  The XBOX and Dual shock controllers just have never seemed natural to me.

2 hours ago, tthurman said:

I agree 100%

I still think the SNES controller was one of the greatest and those in  ClassicGMR's thread seems long overdue for a mainstream comeback.  The XBOX and Dual shock controllers just have never seemed natural to me.

I really like my SF30 pro controller. It really is a great do it all controller, but not so much for a cramp free 4+hr marathon session. It would need palm grips for that, kinda like the accessory for the wii classic controller.

image.png.970fed6b7c7a373f77d175b5753dbd61.png

But that cramping, blistering, raw finger experience is authentic and exactly what the doctor calls for in a retro controller. That's why I like it. Nostalgia. By the way, the suffix -algia means "pain".

I always liked the PS2/3 controller designs better than x-box. They felt better (more friendly) in my hands, despite not being as ergonomic. They seem to fit better in kids hands too. Admittedly, I was a big PS1/2 and gamecube guy before getting an x-box. Halo familiarized me with the x-box design, which hasn't changed significantly since. However, IMO the best controller to date has to be the Gamecube controller, the Wavebird specifically. Unique design, intuitive controls, ergonomic, and masterfully integrated into gameplay. I prefer Metroid Prime with the Wavebird on GC vs. the Wiimote reboot used in Trilogy - which is good too, but in it's own gimmicky way. And the wii U pro controller? While very sweet, is an x-box clone too.

I have always preferred the Xbox controllers and feel that MS got it right when they transitioned to the 360 controller over the original. To each their own, I guess. As for pain, the original Atari 2600/8-bit joystick was the champion in blistering thumbs and firing off a round of carpal tunnel syndrome.

In FPS the mouse is king for aiming, but I prefer the thumbsticks for running. There is a PC controller for that. It's like a wii nunchuck with more buttons. But for PC I still prefer a wired USB X-Box 360 controller. Picked it up at the local used junk store for $5. I got tired of messing around in settings and forums to get PS3, GC, and Logitech controllers to work properly. The x-box 360 controller just works with pretty much everything without hassle.

6 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

I have always preferred the Xbox controllers and feel that MS got it right when they transitioned to the 360 controller over the original. To each their own, I guess. As for pain, the original Atari 2600/8-bit joystick was the champion in blistering thumbs and firing off a round of carpal tunnel syndrome.

I can't disagree with that assessment. Eargonomically speaking, I think it's the best controller layout and design yet. PS2/3 and GC controllers are more familiar and unique. That gives them the edge for me, despite being less ergonomic.

I picked up an Xbox 360 Modern Warfare 2 Edition with 250GB HDD, HDMI, 2 black wireless controllers, charging base, and a few games for $40. It is newer than the one I bought with originally. 

• Like 1

Just thought I'd chime in here too and say that I added my name to the watch list.  Wouldn't mind grabbing one of these, not only for the nostalgia, but I'd like to see where it's going in terms of mods.  I hope Atari doesn't lose out with their declaration of the OS being OPEN.  Honestly, I think it's going to end up being little more than a Pi inside.  Granted, it's running an AMD processor with Radeon graphics.  Still, what are they talking about, NUC territory?  If mods are available, I might try and come up with a dual-boot setup.  Using Atari's system and then a sideload of RetroPie.  Sounds like the processing power might be better than a Pi or Odroid.  Might be able to run PS2, PSP, GC.  Just gotta wait and see.

Just a little more than an hour left as of this post. Probably going to order 2 Onyx versions for myself and my son. Not going to spend $100USD more for faux wood grain. I may spring a little extra for the original-inspired controller. My thumb blister and carpal tunnel syndrome anxiously await the pain!

Okay, I have determined that IndieGoGo sucks as it can't handle to attempts to reserve a copy, declines my card (but no notification from our bank - so likely not even going through) . They said Spring in the adverts but shows as 7/2019 upon checkout. Keep trying I guess.

Indiegogo is a mess right now.  I waited until the deadline, followed the instructions and clicked at EXACTLY 9:00am.  Took me to a page with traffic cones saying "Something isn't quite right".  So I spent a good 5 minutes refreshing the page, going back to my email and clicking the link again, etc.  It finally loads, but I don't see anything glaringly obvious as a special secret perk.  I see a list of perks.  Try to click on one, it craps out with that same error page.  Once again, reloading the page from the email and refreshing over an over.  Once I finally get back, it takes me to an information collection page, asking for my Name/Address/Credit Card.  I put in all the info, click the submit payment button.  Wait.. nothing happens.  Cone error page again.  Check my bank account, nothing processed yet.  Go back through, another 15 minutes of trying to load the page, select the perk, enter in all my info, submit payment, ... and ... "There was a problem processing your payment.  Try again or contact support".  I try again.  6 times.  Still errors.  Then suddenly the error changed to "Card Declined".  WHAT?!  I check my bank, and sure enough one of the errors had actually made it through to the bank.  So I close out, go to the Indiegogo webpage to load up my profile.  Wouldn't you know?  NOTHING!  No proof that I am supporting a campaign or project.  But they took my money sure enough.  I just sent them an email to their support team asking for help.  This is crazy.  The Atari project page is showing they've got like 8000 backers already, but I'm not one of them.  I want my money to go to the project, not Indiegogo's pocket.  I want to support Atari.  I want my "perk" I ordered.  I also forwarded the email I sent to Indiegogo's support to the Atari team.  While I got an instant "We received your request for help" from their support team, I've still not heard from them.  Atari, on the other hand, replied personally with a "Sorry, their website is under extremely heavy load.  They're the ones who can fix this problem.  Just sit tight!"  So that was nice.  At least they replied personally instead of automatedly, and very quickly.

So yeah, if this all gets clear up, I've got one of the Woodgrain models coming, along with the joystick and gamepad.  It's weird.  They make no mention of it on the website, but in the email they said it comes with the controllers.  On the website, they're listed separately or bundled for extra cost.  I think the "secret perk" might have been that 33% discount on the Onyx console only.  Kinda shady there.  Everything else is full price, but you get the Onyx without controllers with the discount.

Anyway, I hope this is resolved soon.  I don't like seeing this big $360 hole in my bank account without seeing it being spent on what I paid for.

Be sure to go to your orders page and if your order shows (you should probably have received an email receipt by this time) and make sure that you have the "perk" you requested. I had accidentally selected the Onyx only perk and had to get it refunded which was fairly quick since I selected the Want to Upgrade My Perk option.

Yikes. Sounds like I saved myself a headache. At work I had a company that made purchasing their insanely overpriced product the most difficult process known to man. I had to give up on their website and call them directly, and even then it was like pulling teeth. I've never before seen a for profit business do more to discourage you from buying. TAKE MY MONEY...Please? If it wasn't the only option on earth for that particular item, I would buy from another vendor in a heartbeat.

I feel like I should support Atari though, and kinda do want one - the wood grain has my eye. However, I just spent $700 on Color Vision Dysfunction (CVD) corrective glasses (Enchroma glasses). So needless to say, I'm hesitant to spend more money at the moment. I'm a mild to moderate Dutan, meaning I don't see green correctly. Tomorrow I'm going to an Iris garden to look at flowers and see color correctly for the first time, well hopefully. They are supposed to work on 4-5 people with red-green colorblindness. They have a no hassle return policy if they don't work. If that's the case and I have $700 I wasn't planing on having anymore, then I have no excuse anymore.

• 6 months later...

I really hope they come out with something cool, but so far it just seems to be nothing but a lot of talk.

I know what it was like when the 2600 came on the scene, but a new video every so many months with people regurgitating the same thing leads me to believe they aren't having much in the way of advancement on an actual product.  

Even Lucas Film isn't this secretive!  It's not as if this was just announced, there should at least be some indication of actual progress, don't you think?   Maybe there is and I've just missed it.

I'm mostly excited about the "sandbox" they're determined to include.  Not only will the system be able to run current gen games (maybe not AAA games like Red Dead Redemption 2, but at least the a assortment of games like the Xbox Arcade or indie games) but it'll support a completely accessible sandbox mode that will let you install any OS you want and have it be able to use all of the hardware capabilities.  So you can install Windows and have access to Steam (hardware can probably run Half-Life 2, which was a huge hardware demand for me years ago).  Or, you could install a full on Ubuntu Linux distro.  I'm thinking I'll install Windows and then install GameEx on that!  I'll have access to everything Atari will offer as part of their package and service, but then also everything outside of that that's emulatable or can run on Windows.  If it turns out Windows can't be installed, I'll at least put RetroPie on it.  :)  This is a huge thing.  It will be the first console that has a somewhat proprietary system/os AND be free to accept 3rd party additions without needing hardware like a modchip to hack into it.

• Like 1