All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

BG/ DMD Reversed - Affects VPX too?

mriggins

What am I missing?

Windows 7
PinballX 2.94
VPX 10.4.0

Win7's Displays are laid out like this left to right  - MAIN (1) / BG (3) / DMD (2)

Main Monitor/Playfield = Display 1
BG Monitor = Display 3
DMD Monitor = Display 2

In PinballX settings, if I put the BG on 3 and the DMD on 2, when I launch PinballX they are reversed. The DMD ends up on the bg monitor, and the bg ends up on the dmd monitor. If I quit and go back into settings, and reverse them in settings, then when pinballx is launched they are on the correct screens.

If I set screenres.txt to use bg on 3, and I launch a table manually via VPX, then everything is fine.

If I swap 2/3 in pinballx's settings, so that pinballx displays stuff properly... then start the table via pinballx, pinballx changes screenres.txt so that bg ends up on display 2 resulting in the BG ending up on the wrong monitor when VPX starts.

NOTE:... this same cabinet has been running VP9/Vpinmame/Hyperpin just fine for 2 years. I simply decided to try VPX and PinballX as an alternative, which is saved into a different folder structure leaving the original setup intact.

What can I do?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Just turn off auto configure B2s under display settings. This will stop it writing to screenres.txt. Alternativly rearrange the screen order in win 7 as pf, bf, dmd.

Tom, turning off that configure solved it! (I already have my layout as pf/bg/dmd) Why PinBallX has to have the displays swapped in settings, I don't know. But setting Hide DMD/Hide Backglass in the game manager, along with telling the Display Settings in pinballx's settings not to move the b2s, along with setting screenres back to 3 for the bg, solved it! Thanks!

I had the problem the OP had also with writing the incorrect number, which I worked around by disabling ScreenRes writing.   But now with WIndows 10 1803, my system no longer maintains display numbers consistently.    The backglass monitor may be ID #1 for two reboots in a row, then on the next restart #1 will be my DMD monitor, and #2 is my BG monitor.    The displays keep their positions  and resolutions fine, just the display ID numbering is inconsistent.

I made an update to the B2S Backglass Server that allows the 4th line to be "@"+ the X starting location of the BG.   This removes the dependency on display ID#s in VPX.   You can find that here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JSEMX6rOkoA8fYcKxY5MUcZEHXIjm38I/view?usp=sharing 

Tom, you may want to consider offering a similar approach (using coordinates instead of display #s) in PinballX.  

Thanks.

In PinballX I use the .net screen class. Apparantly it returns the screens in no particular order. All I did for the latest is look at the ID and strip out the number. \\Display2 etc.

I actually had issues with B2s myself when using two cards. I ended up having to buy a single new card to resolve it. It would never show on the right monitor. Windows 10 does not seem to like a multiple card setup anymore.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at it.