All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Xevious

May-June 2018 GOTM Winner: Cynicaster - 213,440 (link)

Xevious
Xevious Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Cynicaster 213,440 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
2 KRC 169,110 KRC's Hi-Score Entry
3 ExedExes 80,750 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
4 Mame Offender 70,570 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
5 Luigimaker 55,950 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
6 millerbrad 36,400 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
7 Floyd Turbo 29,580 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
8 GimmeClassics 23,520 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 02-24-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Xevious:

ROMSet: Xevious
Service Mode: Off
Bonus Life: 20K 60K 60K
Lives: 3
Cabinet: Upright
Flags award bonus: Yes
Difficulty: 3 [Hard] <-- Make sure you change this!
Freeze: Off

Special Rules: Rapidly hitting the Start button as you coin-up, causing the Title Screen to come at you in normal gameplay [And over a Million points up for grabs] will automatically disqualify your attempt.

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting your hi-score: :link:

• Like 3

Xevious (ゼビウス Zebiusu)[1] is a Vertically scrolling shooter that was released by Namco in arcades in December 1982.[2] It runs on Namco Galaga hardware, and was designed by Masanobu Endō (who later created The Tower of Druaga). In North America, the game was manufactured and distributed by Atari, Inc.

Xevious tells the story of the fight between humankind and the biocomputer GAMP, which controls the alien forces of planet Xevious. It turns out that the Xevious inhabitants are originally from Earth, and GAMP (General Artificial Matrix Producer) is the product of an ancient civilization that prospered on earth a hundred thousand years ago. During this golden age, the Gamps were human clones used in heavy labor, until they rebelled against their own creators. In order to survive the upcoming Ice Age, they planned to leave earth and migrate in search of a new homeland. They finally selected seven planets that were likely suitable to human life.[3]

Right before the departure, a group of humans rebelled and decided to stay on the earth anyway. It is from here that a thousand years after the leaving of the Gamps, the brave pilot Mu and his android companion Eve decided to travel to Xevious (literally, the fourth planet) to avoid glaciation. They would not receive a warm welcome from their ancestors, though: captured and imprisoned, they discovered that the Xevians were actually planning a massive comeback on the Earth.[3]

Fast forward to our days: all above the Earth's surface, and near the ancient civilization remains, giant artifacts suddenly emerge from the soil and activate: they are SOL towers, buried underground and inactive for eons, now responding to GAMP's orders. The invasion has begun: it is now that, with perfect timing, Mu, Eve, and Mio Veetha, a Xevian who opposes the Gamp's regime and freed our duo from imprisonment, are back on the Earth on their Solvalou ship and ready to fight Gamp's army. Meanwhile, archaeologists Susan Meyer and Akira Sayaka discovered that the Nazca lines could be hiding an ancient weapon that may be used to counterattack Gamp's army.[3]

--Quote from Wikipedia

I remember playing this in Noble Roman's when I was in like 6th or 7th grade.  Then on NES down the road...i was never good though  LOL

The 7800 Version is a great port...lots of memories there...

1525291546658522795043.jpg

Han.  I just discovered that I had the difficulty settings wrong.  Discredit this score.  Thx.

Yeah sorry, that's partially my fault.  I was in a hurry to get this posted because I was a day late.  Didn't realize I forgot to color code the settings.  Then I had to leave to take my dad over to the dealer to pick up his car that was getting fixed.  Did I mention I got a new car? :)  2018 Ford Focus SEL.  Really nice, I like it.  And now I don't have to rely on them for transportation to work.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Xevious is a stone cold classic IMO, but Luigimaker is right, it's extremely similar to Dragon Spirit.  The most glaring similarity is the dual weapon thing, with one button for air targets and another button for ground targets.  The fact that both games are from Namco suggests that the similarities are not mere coincidence.  

I've played this game here and there over the years but I've always had the difficulty on "normal."  It sure was a rude awakening changing the difficulty to "hard."  

As MO said, we used to play a lot of Xevious on Atari 7800 back in the late 80s; we got that console for Christmas in '87 and Xevious was one of our first games.  That version is very solid, and definitely makes my list of "top 5 console ports of arcade games."   I still play it in emulation every now and then.  

y4m39GgDZyi6Uo-jr8stF3C19lFBSmCAZ6IbBfwR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Crappy score but I thought I would get my name on the board.  That first boss can suck it.  

I wish the Solvalou moved a little quicker. 

57,470 Updated.  Sorry it's sideways.  

Xevious.jpg

Edited by Floyd Turbo
Updated score

On 5/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, Floyd Turbo said:

Crappy score but I thought I would get my name on the board.  That first boss can suck it.  

I wish the Solvalou moved a little quicker. 

57,470 Updated.  Sorry it's sideways.  

Xevious.jpg

Unless @GimmeClassics can read that score, and confirm it, I'm gonna have to rule this entry invalid.  Sorry, I just want to be fair.  That background doesn't match any other posted scores, where it's black with the title on the screen.  I'm not calling you out or anything, I'm sure it's legit.  It's just questionable you know?  And I can't even read the score.

42 minutes ago, KRC said:

My score 

Thats got to be the slowest aircraft ever!

20180525_142624.jpg

20180525_143206.jpg

I'm glad to see someone with the same high score screen as me.  I was worried that I had the wrong MAME.  Great score by the way.  

• Like 1

Yeah it can be quite confusing when members upload scores but with a different backdrop.

I just look for and play what the "Romset" says in the first post.

Eg: ROMSet: Xevious      <-----------

I wonder if the "black background" screenshots were taken at a different time?  Like, instead of taking it right after entering initials, they took it after the attract mode cycled back to the in-game score board.  That's about the only thing I can think of.

@Floyd Turbo - Can you maybe just post a higher resolution version of your screenshot so I can see the score?  It's just really hard to read it it.  I want to go ahead and accept your score, but unless I can read it, I don't want to be unfair to everybody else and take your word for it.  :)

Updated OP, DB RSS

@hansolo77  Don't worry about my score.  You can delete my post as I will redo it with hopefully a better outcome.  Like I said, I was just trying to get my name on the board.  I am having a hard time taking a picture of the projector wall with my phone and submitting it without it being under 1MB.  That's why the first one is fuzzy.  I had to downsize it.  Oh well, it gives me an excuse to drink beer, ignore the wife and get my Xevious on.  

I understand that crappy photo's don't count and hopefully I can get a better shot of the new 1st place score. 

In-game screenshots are best.  You can even configure MAME to stretch the image to make it bigger.  The only thing I've not been able to figure out is how to to have a screenshot of just the game, and not all the extra stuff like side art around the screen.  There are 2 ways to do this.  One is through MAME (see here), and the other is by using a tool written by Adultery (see here).  If neither of those fits your fancy, you can also use an offsite file host to post your picture at, then just link to it here.  I prefer imgur.com right now, as it doesn't have limitations based on bandwidth or potential longevity issues.

• 3 weeks later...