All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

No VPX Table Focus on first launch When Launching from PBX

spoontangclan

System details: 3-screen setup with a PINDMD v3 as the third screen. I am running zebs deluxe plunger kit for the plunger and cabinet button input. Windows 7 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.

I am running DMDext for PBFX3 DMD support and XPadder for multi-profile plunger controls for both VP and PBFX3.

My issue seems to apply to any VPT or VPX tables the first-time a table is launched from PBX. See this video for a demo of what I'm experiencing. While creating the video, I was actually a bit surprised I got the results I did because recent prior experiences suggested the problem to be a bit more persistant, but maybe this suggests it is only on the very first table load attempt after a restart? I was just able to replicate the same issue after a restart, I started a table, no focus, so no start or add credits, exit table back to wheel, re-enter table, table loads fine with focus.

I am noticing that the B2S backglass seems to load more quickly than the table, which still shows "loading". Then once the table does load, the focus is on some other window, so my buttons don't work unless I alt-tab to the "visual pinball player" window which is from VP. Once I alt-tab to a table, all subsequent tables seem to load without issue. I tried automating a solution with a .bat file to change the focus, but I haven't been able to get that to work. I also so another solution here on the forums using an auto hot key script which I have also not been able to get to work for me. 

It is strange, because for a long portion of my build, this was not an issue, but it has recently popped up and I can't figure out what I did that would have caused it. I recently upgraded to the latest version of PBX. I thought that may be the issue, so I rolled back to the last version, but the issue persisted. I saw another reference here on the forums that suggested perhaps keyboard mapping conflicts between PBX and VPX may be to blame, but trying to sync those settings didn't seem to help. The only other recent change that really stands out are installation of 10.5 VPX scripts to support the recent release of the No Fear table and my installation of Zeb's plunger kit. At this point, I'm out of ideas, so I'm hoping I'll get some new ones here:)
I also tried changing the B2S settings to "exe" mode instead of "standard" and that also did not seem to help.

PS. I also started down a path of Future Pinball Installation, which I have since halted for now. I found the documentation for cabinet set up lacking compared with the documentation available in the VP communities. Maybe something in the Future Pinball tinkering altered something in Windows to mess this up?

I see in my log the direct output plugin is loading, but AFAIK, I'm not actually using that for anything. I thought I needed it to run zeb's plunger, but I'm not using any led flashers, solenoids, etc, and have no plans to, so maybe that is something I should disable.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Any other info I can provide? Thank you in advance!

PS - one other potentially relevant piece of info I just recalled; As you'll see in ini, I use b2s in the front-end. If I disable that, I believe the issue I'm describing goes away.

PinballX.ini

log.txt

@TyboderekYou can see how long it takes in the video I linked to in my first comment. The subsequent table load of the same table is faster.

@Tom Speirs Thank you for the quick reply. I upgraded to 2.8.3 and witnessed no change in what I described in my first comment in this thread. New log attached showing the process after a restart, loading BK2000, no focus, exiting back to wheel, reloading BK2000 w/ Focus.

log.txt

In these logs, it seems as if in the first load that misses focus, `Hidden Visual Pinball Editor Window` is after `Found PinMAME ROM: bk2k_l4.nv`. I'm guessing that is the culprit?

Tom,

I previously placed my log and ini in the forum topic below about my long loading times.  I didnt include them again as spoontangclan appeared he may be on to something related to timing of loading editor referenced earlier.

3 hours ago, Tyboderek said:

Tom,

I previously placed my log and ini in the forum topic below about my long loading times.  I didnt include them again as spoontangclan appeared he may be on to something related to timing of loading editor referenced earlier.

New issue, new files. Not fair to expect the author to hunt it down from another post.

My apologies.  This was was same issue that I referenced in the other post so I didnt want to confuse things by once again loading the same files.  I can repost files when I get back home to cabinet.

Tom provides great support.  Certainly was not trying to be difficult.

Ill take a look. If people want to help me out they can send me specific tables and specific files. I admit Ive not done much testing with VPX and there seems to be a distinct lack of cabinet tables to test with. So if you want to help me out please provide tables/media to test with.

Thanks.

Tom.

I just ran PINBALLX and played two VPX games - Creature from the Black Lagoon and Bugs Bunny.  My log and ini are attached below.  I have to mouseclick the playfield in order to get Black Lagoon to play.  Bugs worked without intervention.  Looking at the log, as  spoontangclan observed, it seems to be somehow related to the timing of the VP editor loading.

I now have 59 VPX tables functioning although some of the I have to mousclick and pretty much all take about a minute to load but I can live with the loading time.

I will be glad to run any test you wish.

I really do appreciate your willingness to try to figure out what is going on.

log.txt

PinballX.ini