All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Just installed v2.81. Now my browsing videos are flickering. [RESOLVED]

wrd1972

6 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

You may have already done this, but have you tried swapping a new HDMI cable? Or using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from the GPU to the monitor?

Not yet. But I will give it a shot tonight. Hell i will try anything to get this fixed.

Draco,

Just tried a new HDMI cable. Problem remains.

Just seems like the VMR9 has some kind of issue with my TV. I will keep lookinf and get Tom to connect ASAP and take a look.

I remember a while back when I was working with windows media center. There was an auto brightness or similar setting in the display driver that caused certain channels to appear to flicker. Just a thought. So obviously look at GEFORCE settings.

Solution found!

In the Nvidia control panel, under "adjust desktop color settings", there is a setting called "Content type reported to the display".

There is an "auto-select (reccomended)" selection available, and this was causing the issue. If you drop the box down, there are other selections available, and selecting any of them, resolves the flicker problem. Not sure I understand what this setting does. But I am very pleased that it removed the flicker.

Thanks Tom and the others that chimed in.  :)

Flicker.jpg

• Thanks 1

I would probably go with Games option and see how that works out. These are likely the display modes that the TV is reporting back to the card and each has its preset + and - .

Games on HDTVs usually means faster refresh rate at the cost of quality or depth of the image, where-as Full-screen videos is likely opposite, providing max quality and depth of image at a cost to refresh speed.

A guess as to the cause of the flicker could be that there was a communication issue between the GPU and the display trying to make the selection needed based upon variations in the need to render the videos at one criteria while rendering the programs from the PC at another.

I think its just TV's these days trying to help you out and "optimize and make things look nice" on your behalf. Lots of processing goes on in LEDs these days. Also, I guess modern technology allows the card to advise what mode the TV should use. Seems that was what was happening.

This post probably explains what was happening best...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369687-Nvidia-Content-type-reported-to-the-display-not-switching-on-all-videos#post2369495

Mugen02 notes "I should also note that when MPC-HC does switch to "Full-screen videos" mode it does this when the video file is opened and played and then switches back to "Desktop programs" mode when the video file is stopped or MPC-HC is closed." 

If the video was triggering a different mode (Fullscreen Video) for the playfield video and then back to desktop (Desktop Programs), then this would account for the flicker experienced.  Probably no harm in selecting Desktop Programs, but may not detrimental to select Games mode either.

• rablack97 changed the title to Just installed v2.81. Now my browsing videos are flickering. [RESOLVED]
  • rablack97 locked this topic