All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] Startup probs

stigzler

Hi folks,

So came back to work on my rig after a break. GE is getting stuck on the "loading" screen. Attached full log, but below is likely culprit:

18:57:17.28  17/04/2018:  Playing intro sound file
18:57:17.31  17/04/2018:  Initialization OK! Starting GameEx!
18:57:17.31  17/04/2018:  Testing Main Loop Once: Processing Frame
18:59:53.95  17/04/2018:  Exiting GameEx!
18:59:53.96  17/04/2018:  Closing HideOS.exe
18:59:54.02  17/04/2018:  Disposing all videos

18:57:17.31 is where it's getting stuck and not progressing. 18:59 is when I manually killed it..

Any ideas? Can't update it as, of course, you need GE launched to trigger update routine?

log.txt

Funny innit? In the 5 odd years of using GameEx, I've never been brave enough to do this! You promise me Draco that this won't make my Norman fall off or all my teeth fall out? I'll come nick yer beers if it does....

My worry has always been it overwriting settings files - for example CustomMenu.ini or other more esoteric parts of GameEx....

It really does come down to knowing the coding behind it all - whether these files are created/overwritten/ignored at runtime by the code, or whether they are just part of the update download (which could also be managed as part of the update process). 

@Tom Speirs - could you advise? is it safe just to do an overwrite - no settings/setups will be knackered?

The automatic updates are the same as installing over an existing install, so you have already been doing it without knowing. The only thing you need to worry about is if you made changes to default files and left the file name the same. In those cases, the file may be written over.

Install away my friend. It will be all right.

Cheers fellas. Yeah, my worry is I won't see the part that's gone south until I hit on that particular esoteric part of GameEx (not daily use) - e.g. some obscure system using a batch file somewhere. Think I'll hang on for Tom's consideration - also, curious to know what's going down with my present installation - it won't be that out of date..

2 minutes ago, RedDog said:

The automatic updates are the same as installing over an existing install, so you have already been doing it without knowing. The only thing you need to worry about is if you made changes to default files and left the file name the same. In those cases, the file may be written over.

Install away my friend. It will be all right.

If it's straight, unmanaged file overwrites that would be so. However, you can write file-by-file update conditions that prevent, for e.g. user-changed files being over-written. I'd be interested to know how Tom does it. 

2 minutes ago, tthurman said:

Backup your directory if you're that worried.

Naturally, my good man, but same applies - not finding the overwrites an issue until a lot further down the track and more settings/changes having been made to 'this' installation. 

Not doubting my learned and esteemed colleagues here - just with these types of things, I like to be 100%

I used to worry about all that stuff too. Not so much any more.

I back up my 'core' files all the time now just because of troubleshooting issues with people. As long as I keep a good copy of the GameEx.ini, my custom theme, the CustomMenu.ini, and some plugins I know I have 98% of what I need to rebuild easily.