All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Suggestions for managing MAME

Draco1962

I am in need of performing some major housekeeping with my MAME collection and I hope that there may be some sound suggestions.

I don't know if there is an app available that would allow me to compile a list of favorite games using the name and not the ROM name and based upon the type of set and MAME version and possibly other criteria, will delete all other ROMs and media.

In all seriousness, one huge consideration is the type of set you have.  Split sets or merged sets would immediately be crippled by any software that started hacking away at unwanted titles simply due to the way folder sharing occurs between various titles.  Obviously, if you have a non-merged set this isn't going to be an issue.

Edited by tthurman
Captain Obvious

IIRC, mine are merged.  I am sure that there is a master list somewhere that has the ROM names matched to the trade name of the game.

To be able to tell such an app say, Merged 0.183 and have it match against that list and then allow you to check and select at the level of the game name the ROMs you want to keep and move/delete the rest would be a good start.

Are they already in your GameEx favorites list? Shame if not, because there's this thing which would do what you're asking...

Not all are. Sometimes it is easier to look through a list rather loading the games up and selecting the faves. But, that is an option that I totally forgot about.

I take it that it doesn't matter whether or not the sets are merged?

6 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Not all are. Sometimes it is easier to look through a list rather loading the games up and selecting the faves. But, that is an option that I totally forgot about.

I take it that it doesn't matter whether or not the sets are merged?

It goes by file name, so it doesn't matter at all.

I might just do something else though, I have a bunch of code in my MAME Commander plugin that pulls the list out of MAME itself, can support/pull the BIOS too, and grab your assets if you already have them.

There's also a ton of search criteria you can use to find the games you're looking for. There are also filters there that would be helpful. I would really just need to import a class I wrote for that and wrap a GUI around it... But that will take time of course.

5 hours ago, tthurman said:

A case of can't see the forest for the trees. 

No shit! There are so many out there in the latest packs and most are EM or similar contraptions, others not even arcade related. As I was scrolling through I saw so many more games than I ever played and, TBH, I am probably only interested in keeping about 100-500 and saying good-bye to the rest. The pain comes from when you update to the latest version and have to go through the process all over again.

5 hours ago, tthurman said:

Funny how easy it is to forget how fortunate we're to have access to all the goodies people like Adultery are kind enough to contribute their talent toward.

I never forget Adultery and always glad when he steps up. He has always put out some quality apps and plugins and it has been my pleasure to test them whenever able!

• Thanks 1