All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Maximum amount of tables?

ryanc

Is there a maximum amount of tables Pinballx can handle?  Starting to download now and see there are hundreds of tables.  Should I pick and choose my favorites or can i download everything and pinballx will run smoothly?

Thanks!

one user mentioned he's about 700 strong so you have plenty to download before you hit that number and not all tables are worth keeping.  Hoarding tables makes no sense really, while I admire the users collection, imaging scrolling through 700 plus tables, you will lose interest in playing just trying to scroll through all of them.

I agree with @rablack97 on this. If you are new to the hobby or even new to PinballX, starting with getting one or two favorites setup running well and acquiring the display media, then onto the next is sound.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I'm at 500 with another 500 planned. About 200 of these are doubled up, one table running under VP10 and the same table running under VP9.9.9x.The reason for that is that it's like having the same table in neighbouring venues. Each will play a little differently due to wear and tear in real life. In softwareland, each of the two tables may have different authors, giving each it's own "flavour", while there's a difference due to the .exe running them. Just my personal view here. In total I'll have about 800 different titles. So far, Pinballx is handling the load better than my system, but moving it all into the planned cab with a you beaut CPU and GPU, SD drive and the like will take care of all that. And @rablack97 is right. Some tables are not worth keeping, even if they were great in real life when they were produced.. However they may be resurrected in current versions of pinball software, so the choice will be yours.

Cheers

Ryanc,

Lots of great comments so far. I am one to agree with Draco and raBlack. There are too many tables (both good renditions and not so good) just to try and download them all. You will be spending alot of precious time on tables that aren't worth the effort. There are so many fantastic table renditions, that if I were you, I would start there.  A good first step would be to sort the various VP download sites and sort the tables by popularity, number downloads, or by rank.  Doing so you will be focusing your efforts on the best tables out there (and there are a alot!).

• 2 weeks later...