All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Updating emulators automatically on Gameex

Alan Ribas

Would it be possible or feasible to add a tool between the gameex configuration tabs that would allow automatic updating of the emulator?
It would work more or less like this. We opened the settings, we went to the tab that showed the installed emulators and clicking a "Check for update" button would the gameex check if for the installed emulators there are newer versions? You can choose whether you want the search done by searching for updates that are not yet stable (those most frequently released by developers). If this tool was implemented until a "check emulators update at startup" option could also be added.
Please tell me? Is this a dream? Totally out of touch? Or something possible? Possible but not viable?

If  you're going to dream, dream big:D

I don't see automatic updating of third-party software as being very feasible for reasons too numerous to list.

You could however post this in the feature and enhancement requests thread.

• Haha 1

It's not a bad idea for a feature for non-Mame emulators, but I would not want it to automatically update. I would much rather be notified that an update is available and trigger it to download and install.

The problem is that occasionally an emulator will go through a major change which may require some adjustments on the user side. I would rather have the opportunity to look at the change log before it was installed.

• Like 1

Actually I'm not very familiar with this tool. Part of it really fulfills what I said. The issue is that it is necessary to view emulator to emulator for download, correct !? I do not know if it's because I do not have much practice in it, but it seemed more difficult to use it. I may be wrong, I do not know.:o

I take it Alan want's something that stays current with the individual emulator releases as in it queries each emu in search of a new release. 

The repository manager works great IMO and is easy to use.  Where it's lacking in this instance is that it isn't updated nearly often enough to remain relevant for actively developed emu's (Dolphin, etc.) but works fine for those that haven't been engaged in active development in ages. 

If you had something like the auto downloader for emumovies that went and hunted for the latest and greatest version of each emulator supported, that's what I believe Alan would like,

Automation is great, when it works. When it doesn't, yikes! I don't mind being prompted when there is an update, but give me the control to say yes or no and turn off notifications as I see fit. Some emulators, like MAME require a lot of manual work to make certain the rom sets match the version of the executable. That could break your setup if MAME was automatically updated without doing the leg work to change out the roms.

I think what Tom has available is fine and if updated more frequently for the more active emus then perfect.

Keeping those updated should be up to the community IMHO. Too much work for staff to keep track of all the many emulators out there.

45 minutes ago, Adultery said:

Keeping those updated should be up to the community IMHO. Too much work for staff to keep track of all the many emulators out there.

You are such a rebel! Leaving it up to the end-user to be responsible for their own emulator downloads and setup? :o

I run 4 emulators via GameEx Arcade. The total is 6 in regular GameEx and that is due to using integrated GameBase support which isn't present in GameEx Arcade (hint hint) for Atari 8-bit and Atari ST emulation. I am fine with manually setting these up.