All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Addressing the Elephant in the Room

Draco1962

I have received some emails from some friends and associates, either requesting my assistance with an issue or post requiring Administrator level effort or to express concern about something they read or noticing my increasing absence from the forums.

So, to "address the elephant in the room" without getting mired in the details as they A.) won't change a thing and B.) are not anyone's business unless others wish to make it so.

In January there was a parting of ways with Tom and team. I disagreed with some decisions being made and management stood its ground. As is the case with most businesses when issues like this occur, I was informed that my services, while appreciated, were no longer necessary. Sometimes when you take a stand and it runs counter to their point of view, you force someone's hand. That is just Life.

I consider Tom a friend and have no ill will towards him, GameEx or PinballX as they are great frontends and I wish continued success with them and a successful launch of Evolution. I still intend to be a part of the community and lend a hand from time to time as I am able. On the lighter side, I have more time for tweaking my setups and actually playing some games.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

I have to say, without any details on the issue you are referring to, that I'm of the opinion that no organization should silence the voice of opposition unless it is absolutely necessary. Understand, conflict avoidance is an innate human desire. No one wants to be second guessed at every step. And while it can be hard to hear opposition to something we are passionate about, there are very good reasons  not to silence the voice of opposition.

Our highly organized, community adaptation (arguably the greatest evolutionary adaptation humans have) requires us to recognize and mitigate instincts that do not help with complex issues that arise in the workplace. In organizations, there WILL be differences of opinion. AND decisions will be made that cross those division lines. Our instinct will be to surround ourselves with "yes" men. This happens by removing opposers and creating a culture of fear. If you fear loosing your job by speaking out, you wont if you don't.

It's important to hold on to employees that voice their opinion, especially when it runs contrary to the popular one. If you remove those employees, you set a dangerous precedent whereby no one feels like they can come forward with novel or unpopular ideas. This reduces creativity and creates a situation where it's easier to plow head on into a bad decision. As smart as management may be, they are human and make mistakes. This is why It's important to maintain a culture of open dialog, where no one has to fear the consequence of voicing their opinion. Creativity and blunder avoidance are the rewards of permitting a REASONABLE amount of dissension. A well intentioned difference of opinion is one thing, a defamatory opposer is another. It's the burden of management to know the difference and make the right call.

I'm not in possession of all the facts. I can only hope that the decision made here was considered carefully and dispassionately. I care about this project and want to see it's creativity thrive. I also want everyone's voice of opinion respected, especially when it's not popular. All respect to those involved. #Real$hit

• Thanks 1

Dealing with an unappreciative supervisor at present. My dad passed last November, but when we last talked about my situation at work just before his death, he told me that we have only two people to please in this life: God and your spouse. Love and have faith in both and you have all you need. 

He also told me to take pride in what I do and, if I truly believe in something to stand my ground. I expect that will find me looking for another job in the near term.

I believe the closing of one door opens more. Onward to grander things!

As for things here, I know that Tom appreciates my efforts over the years. As with work, friendships, family relationships, paths diverge. Differences develop that may become too great to overcome and separation is the only way forward for the parties involved. I am glad to say we are still friends.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

...we have only two people to please in this life: God and our spouse. Love and have faith in both and you have all you need...

Agreed. Just remember that faith is not credulity. Faith is a promise (or contractual obligation) that both parties WILL hold up their end of the agreed upon terms. Marriage and Faith in God are very much the same kind of agreement. While people make mistakes, God will NEVER betray you! Just remain loyal on your end in both your marriage and promise to God, and you can be assured of your reward. Your head is in the right place. Stay strong and keep on keep'n on!