All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What happened to the xml file? and some suggestions [RESOLVED]

greynurse

I was in the game manager downloading a flyer for one of my Future Pinball tables. That done successfully, I opened Pinballx, it showed the opening screen, then closed. Thinking there might be a memory conflict in the OS (Windows 7) because it had been a while since I had rebooted, I did so then. When i opened the game manager, I chose the Future Pinball list of games and..... nothing there. Sure enough, when I checked the .xml file it was empty, save for two line saying <menu> </menu>. Any ideas what happened, and is there a way to get my previous FP .xml file back (I only had about 10 games entered) . I opened Pinballx again and this time the wheel screen came up, minus my FP tables. However all the media files have not been deleted. I am running Piballx on the desktop, if that helps.

Also can I make a few suggestions?
In a (near) future release of PinballX, could it include a comprehensive Help menu. The current online setup info covers very little in the way of explanation or troubleshooting. For instance,  it nearly did my head in finding a way to access the flyers and information.  There was nothing clear in the setup instructions, nothing in the forums other than press the assigned pause key (posted 2 years and many versions ago). I finally found it under One Click Table Launch in the Settings. Once again, nothing obvious in the description, save for saying "Note: This disables several features." What kind of advice is that? (Turn it off, BTW, if you want to see flyers, info and instructions menu come up when you launch a table). Something a little more comprehensive would be good.

The same goes for the text settings. How about some examples of custom text entries, illegal characters and what entries should be left as is?

Lastly,  I have to open up the Windows Task Manager after finish running a VP10 table. For some reason when a table is selected, PinballX  shows the VP10 editor and progress screens. When the table is exited, PinballX once gain shows the editor and it has to be manually closed, closing taht instance of VPX.exe. However, if PinballX jumps straight to the table after "Loading" is shown, It does not close that instance of VPX.exe when the table is exited and PniballX is closed. Is this an undocumented feature with V2.65, or will I need terabytes of memory to cope?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, greynurse said:

Actually, I resolved my Main issue by finding version 2.50 that i downloaded a while back and forgot that I had. This fixed the emulator  becoming a TSR (terminate and stay resident).

Not sure if eveyone knows this but all prior releases are in the change log section on this page. Just click on the change log and choose the version you want to download, you don't have to hunt around for older versions, they are maintained here on the site

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rablack.

One othe question to the experts out there. Is it possible to run the 2.65 version game manager  with any of the previous version of Pinballx. (Like I said, I'm currently running version 2.5).

I'm hypothesising here that I install 2.65 in another location, set up the Visual Piball and other systems idenetical to 2.5, import the 2.5 xml files into 2.65, then use the global import to batch download the media files matching my tables.

If possible, that would save a heck of a lot of time finding media (although some time would be lost with correcting / deleting some media files that would be incorrectly titled).

I would not recommend mixing v2.65 components with older versions nor should you stay on v2.5 as it is deprecated by the subsequent releases. You should attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files from the 2.70 installation (5 new sub versions since your original post)  so that any issues can be addressed by "the experts."

Thanks Drao,

I will be sure to do that.  I'm still in the process of evolving from a singe - monitor desktop config that I ran under VPMan, to a multi - monitor config running under Pinballx as a prelude to owning a virtual pin. At this stage a bit of experimenting won't be tragic and I'm aware that any problems will be of my own doing.

My main goal here is to feed back "clean" install bugs so that when Pinballx goes into my cab, it will be the best version of itself and that I have total confidence in it.

• rablack97 changed the title to What happened to the xml file? and some suggestions [RESOLVED]
  • rablack97 locked this topic