All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Multiple Issues with PinballX and Windows 10

jhouff

UPDATE: Added log.txt showing me boot and everything works for FX2 (Plants vs Zombies) and not working for FX3 (Portal; goes to main menu instead of directly to table and DMD does not work). Also added .ini file.

Hello! I’m running into a few issues and I feel like I’ve continually searched and searched with any resolution. Sorry if the answers are “out there”:

1. FX3 first boot. I’ve noticed that when I first boot any table from PinballX that is an FX3 table it does not go directly to the table. If I exit FX3 and launch again from PinballX it works.

2. I’m struggling booting directly into PinballX with Group Policies. PinballX crashes if booted directly on launch (replacing shell) and from what I can tell in the logs it because PinballX tries to hide the taskbar but one is not available (since explorer is not launched).

3. This may be similar to number 1 but on first launch of table dmdext does not work, again if I exit and relaunch it works.

Any help would be FANTASTIC!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

log.txt

log_directboot error.txt

PinballX.ini

Edited by jhouff
Added files

1.  This isn't a PBX issue it's an FX3 issue, cabinet mode is not high priority to the developers so there ares some screwy things that happen from time to when you boot into fx3.  You can have everything right and if its updated or something has changed with the table or the software period it will throw off the clean boot into a table.  This is why it works the 2nd go around, as it has completed the sync.

2.  Why dont you boot into VPX by replacing the shell in the registry, this is what i did and it works fine in Win 10.

3.  If you mean for FX3, that a timing thing, i had to make a few ahk scripts with pauses to give the system time enough to initialize, so it would boot smoothly.

In a nutshell, what you going through is the growing pains of this hobby, this is what keeps all of us even the vets in these forums, doesnt take much to piss these cabs off, you just need to tweak your system

• Thanks 1

1.  This isn't a PBX issue it's an FX3 issue, cabinet mode is not high priority to the developers so there ares some screwy things that happen from time to when you boot into fx3.  You can have everything right and if its updated or something has changed with the table or the software period it will throw off the clean boot into a table.  This is why it works the 2nd go around, as it has completed the sync.
2.  Why dont you boot into VPX by replacing the shell in the registry, this is what i did and it works fine in Win 10.
3.  If you mean for FX3, that a timing thing, i had to make a few ahk scripts with pauses to give the system time enough to initialize, so it would boot smoothly.

In a nutshell, what you going through is the growing pains of this hobby, this is what keeps all of us even the vets in these forums, doesnt take much to piss these cabs off, you just need to tweak your system

Thanks for the reply! So for the registry when I change the shell to PinballX it boots to a black screen and never loads for me. Like it doesn’t even seem to attempt. Only way I have been able to have it boot directly to PinballX was that Group Policy but it crashes each time during the hide taskbar phase. I would just have it as a startup program but doing that takes a long time and you have to sit on the desktop until it loads. Are you simply going into regedit and changing the local machine shell to PinballX.exe and running as admin?

As for the AHK scripts for delaying the DMDext, any chance you would attach those so I can take a peek and get an idea of how to make one?

Thanks again for the reply!

For the DMD try this, if your running a real dmd, 

mirror --source=pinballfx3 -q --destination=pin2dmd

use the destination command to initialize your type of dmd and ignore all others, the ini file for dmdext should have all of the types of dmd's it works with.  Look through that file and you will see some lines where it askes you if you want to ignore a specific type of dmd setup.

The issue is that it's looking through all of the options before finding yours, and causing it to not initialize.

Instead of having the registry point to pbx directly have it point to an ahk script with the following, i use doflinx, if you dont hsuse that remove the doflinx line.  Tweak the sleep times to go with how long it take you to boot into windows.

Gui +AlwaysOnTop -Caption +ToolWindow -border
Gui Color, 0
Gui, Show, % "w" 6000 " h" 3000, Black Screen
Sleep 8000
Run, C:\Users\MKX\Desktop\DOFLinx - Shortcut.lnk
Sleep 10000
Run, C:\Users\Public\Desktop\PinballX.lnk
GUI Destroy
exitapp
esc:: exitapp

If neither of these work, i suggest you do some reading on dmd ext, the site has tons of info, my dmd didnt work otu of the box either, it took some time to find the right recipe that worked with my system.

For the DMD try this, if your running a real dmd, 
mirror --source=pinballfx3 -q --destination=pin2dmd
use the destination command to initialize your type of dmd and ignore all others, the ini file for dmdext should have all of the types of dmd's it works with.  Look through that file and you will see some lines where it askes you if you want to ignore a specific type of dmd setup.
The issue is that it's looking through all of the options before finding yours, and causing it to not initialize.

Instead of having the registry point to pbx directly have it point to an ahk script with the following, i use doflinx, if you dont hsuse that remove the doflinx line.  Tweak the sleep times to go with how long it take you to boot into windows.
Gui +AlwaysOnTop -Caption +ToolWindow -border
Gui Color, 0
Gui, Show, % "w" 6000 " h" 3000, Black Screen
Sleep 8000
Run, C:\Users\MKX\Desktop\DOFLinx - Shortcut.lnk
Sleep 10000
Run, C:\Users\Public\Desktop\PinballX.lnk
GUI Destroy
exitapp
esc:: exitapp
If neither of these work, i suggest you do some reading on dmd ext, the site has tons of info, my dmd didnt work otu of the box either, it took some time to find the right recipe that worked with my system.

THANK YOU! Both issues resolved! Only one issue left which is Steam throwing an “Allow Game Launch” error from PinballX. I bumped another thread where someone is experiencing he same issue. Hope we can get that resolved and the. I’M DONE!