All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Unexpected MAME Games

Harps

Hi all,

Just to give a bit of background. I've messed about with emulation on my main PC, mostly RetroArch and Dolphin. I didn't go too deep into playing around with the programmes - if something didn't work, I'd just move on to a different game - so I'm very inexperienced. 

I picked up a windows tablet, mainly for retro gaming and steam streaming. I had RetroArch running, but I wanted something a bit more attractive to run the games, which is how I ended up here. 
I watched the video on how to use, and it looked pretty easy. I ran the setup, created folders for the artwork etc, pointed GameEx to my MAME install and ROMS. I then ran the programme and all looked good. But, when I updated the MAME game list, its found a whole bunch of games that I don't recognise. I only had a handful in my ROM folder, all of which worked in MAME, but instead of those there's about 200 different ones; including multiples of games such as Area 51.

I thought it might be to do with the optional demo thats on offer in the install, so I reinstalled without that. I tried moving my ROM's, and told GameEx where they were stored, but no different. I've just tried removing all but one of my ROM's, but its still the same. 

I feel like this is a really stupid question, because I'm sure the answer is obvious. but does anyone know why they're there? It seems its all artwork and videos - when I try to run the games, nothing happens. Am I missing something?

I'm fully prepared to face palm when I see the answer.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply!

I've definitely updated the list - it takes about 10 mins on the tablet. I might try deleting everything and starting from scratch in case its picking up something rogue from one of my folders. I have tried a couple of other front ends, so maybe somethings been left behind, although these aren't games I've ever played - mostly light gun or trackball golf games, which is weird. I think it says 241 games in total, and I only have about a dozen ROM's total for arcade games. 

At least that answers whether its an obvious problem!

At this point you might want to attach (do not copy and paste) copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files so others can review to see if there might be a setting or two to tweak.