All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit
Dragon Spirit Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Cynicaster 158,030 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
2 Mame Offender 105,140 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
3 Luigimaker 85,280 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
4 patrickfx 50,980 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
5 rtkiii 46,650 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
6 millerbrad 39,410 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
7 GimmeClassics 25,220 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
8 Floyd Turbo 17,100 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
9 hansolo77 16,980 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by GimmeClassics: 03-31-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Dragon Spirit:

ROMSet: DSpirit
Service Mode: Off
Life: 2
Type: A
Flip: Off
Dragon: 3
Continue: Off
1st Extend: 80000
2nd Extend: 180000
Special Rules: The settings are changed in the Service Menu. You MUST start in Area 1. Continues are not allowed!

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting your hi-score: :link:

• Like 1

Dragon Spirit (ドラゴンスピリット Doragon Supiritto) is a vertical scrolling shooter arcade game that was released by Namco in 1987 and licensed to Atari Games for its American manufacture and distribution.[1] It runs on Namco System 1 hardware, and was later ported to the Amstrad CPC, Commodore Amiga, Commodore 64, DOS, Atari ST, X68000, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 and ZX Spectrum platforms.[1]

In the kingdom of Mitgult, a serpent demon named Zawell escapes imprisonment after a thousand years, and kidnaps Princess Alicia. A soldier named Amul is chosen to rescue her and destroy Zawell. He points his sword skyward and transforms into a powerful blue dragon. He can breathe fire and drop bombs, as well as collect up to thirteen additional powers during his journey. Amul must fight nine of Zawell's mightiest beasts, one at the end of each stage, before facing Zawell himself.[1][2][3]

Amul always moves forward, but the player can move him in 8 directions.[2] He can blast flames at aerial opponents, or drop bombs on enemies upon the ground.[2][3] Amul has a larger sprite than most of the enemies and so is easy to hit,[4] though he can take two hits before losing a life (three in some ports). The powerups that give the player extra heads may give him double or triple the firepower, but they also give him double or triple the exposure to enemy fire which, especially on the later stages, can become intensely difficult to avoid. As such, beating the game is not easy.[4]

A semi-sequel appeared on the Famicom/NES under the title Dragon Spirit: The New Legend. It was essentially an altered port, taking place a generation after the original title. An arcade sequel named Dragon Saber was released in 1990, which ran on Namco System 2 hardware and allowed two players to play simultaneously.[2][5]

Additionally, Dragon Spirit was released for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 in 1988. This version retained most of the original arcade graphics and sound quality, but only featured eight stages as opposed to the arcade version's nine.[2] An emulated arcade version of Dragon Spirit appears in Namco Museum 50th Anniversary and Namco Museum Vol. 5.[1] On July 2, 2007, the PC Engine (or TurboGrafx-16) conversion of the game was added to the Nintendo Virtual Console, and on September 8, 2009, the arcade version was released as part of the Virtual Console Arcade, in Japan. On November 4, 2008, it was released on the Xbox 360, as part of Namco Museum Virtual Arcade.[1] The game was also released on the PlayStation Network as part of a downloadable compilation for the PlayStation 3, Namco Museum Essentials.[1] In 2010, as part of Pac-Man's thirtieth anniversary, Dragon Spirit was released as part of the Pac-Man's Arcade Party 30th Anniversary arcade machine - along with eleven (or twelve, if referring to the home version, which includes Ms. Pac-Man), other classic Namco games.[6]

-Quoted from Wikipedia

Welcome to this round's GOTM!  It was originally voted to be Strikers 1945, but after trying to add it to our DBM, I discovered we had already had this game in our competition previously!  If you'd like to play it, you still can, and submissions are always welcome.  The forum thread for that game is located here.  I'm not sure who had requested it to be added, but the fault is not their's alone.  I should have remembered this game was already available.  Oh well.  Guess I'm losing my memory just like my father.  :(  So anyway, enjoy this game, as it was the 2nd place winner in the voting rounds.

The only setting I needed to change was the "RANK" setting.  My default was A, which should be the default for everybody unless you've changed it in the past.  I've never played this before, so it's a safe bet.  Happy gaming!

• Like 1

As a heads up, the only way I could access all of the DIP settings was to enter the service menu (press F2 as the game loads).   The usual method of TAB -> Dip Switch Settings did not show all of the items.  

Maybe that is due to my older MAME version (v122)?

Anyway, per tradition, I'll get the ball rolling.  :)

y4meSWBWHwHDJ1-ikRCOILjqthvcccSuXPlCllss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad run there Cyn!  I need more practice before I try and post up a score.  I kept dying right at the beginning.  It's difficult to figure out, you have a regular shooting attack and also a bomb attack.  And the flying enemies are pretty fast.  Gonna be a fun game though, and a good choice for our competition.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Wow, 13k?  That's better than me.  I'm lucky to hit 4k.  Haven't had much time to play though.  Hope to get some time in this week though, I'm on Vacation!

Got your score too Luigimaker!  Nice one!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Looks like my PC was overheating with the back panel of the cabinet on.  Never had it on at the old house  :)  Need to work on the ventilation.

Got up to 46,650 after a few tries.  

20180305_154101.jpg

• Haha 1

Here’s my first entry. I don’t know if I can do much better. I actually suck at this game lol. I’ll update the leaderboard in an hour or so. I’m about to go look at cars to buy. Updated OP, DB, RSS

F80BF1F0-A21D-4297-8FD4-D154CFD98697.jpeg

On 7-3-2018 at 7:59 PM, hansolo77 said:

Here’s my first entry. I don’t know if I can do much better. I actually suck at this game lol. I’ll update the leaderboard in an hour or so. I’m about to go look at cars to buy. Updated OP, DB, RSS

@hansolo77: I don't think it's a bad score. It took me some time to beat your score :blink:
Did you have any luck finding a new car ?

Here's my score:  25,220 points

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

~GC

dspirit0001.png

22 hours ago, GimmeClassics said:

Did you have any luck finding a new car ?

Not really.  I'm too indecisive.  Went to like 4 different lots, talked with guys as 2 of them, I sat in like 5 cars.  I liked everything I saw.  I've just got some work still to do.  Research on stuff like features, safety, MPG, etc.  Then I gotta figure what's in my budget.  I went at this whole car buying thing backwards.  My stepmom has been at me for months pressuring me to go look at cars, so I just did it.  I needed to look at it from a different perspective.  I need to know what I can afford before I look at what's available.  I know I make $500 a week, -$80 a week for rent, and maybe $50 for stuff like food.  So that's $1,480 a month in the plus for a car.  Then I also have to figure the $5,000 for a down payment I've saved.  Then there's insurance.  I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.  Still trying to wrap my head around everything.

@ Hansolo77

Ha.  You'll be fine buddy.  Buying a car is supposed to be a fun venture.  You are actually looking at way more things than the average Joe would consider.   A lot of ppl don't think of mpg, or how much insurance would cost etc.  

If you want a tidbit of advice from me, make sure you try and stay patient and keep looking around.  I remember when I bought my first car.  Whew, it was bad.  The car salesman absolutely raped me.  He got me into a 2001 neon( very unreliable) and i grossly overpaid.  My flaw is that i can ne impulsive and impatient.  You See, these car salesmen can sniff out the ones who are impatient.  They will corner you, manipulate reality and other tactics just to get another sale.  You have to realize that if it weren't for you, they wouldn't have a job.  Make them work.  Bargain with them.  Remember that they need you more than you need them.  Do NOT settle for anything.   And most of all Han, be patient!  You will be fine.

M O

Thanks for the confidence boost.  I'm sure I'll make the right choice in the end.  It's just my anxiety getting in the way of doing the things needed now.  Good score though, a lot better than mine!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Ok.  Looks like MO is NOT going to delve into his usual routine of DK for breakfast.  

Time for some Dragon Spirit.  

Mr Luigi is about to get Marioed.

MO

• Like 1