All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Evaluating GameEX Arcade purchase: How to make it look like demo video?

FlightRisk

I downloaded and installed GameEX Arcade after forum comments and watching the video on the main gameex page. It shows a screen with wheels. It also shows games like 1942 with a full movie when the wheel points to that game. And last, in some screens there is a menu across the top that shows among other things "change view". Does that change themes? I don't see that menu anywhere. Is there a tutorial or can you help me duplicate that to see how it works? I would just need whatever theme is used and a little help on how to use it and the graphics/video for one game like the 1942 so I could set it up myself. I found where the graphics are stored and see in the menu for  "golden age games" a wheel setup with one logo for afterburner and a snap video. Thank you.

You will also need to have the logo files matching your ROM names in the MAME>Logos path. Pointing to these paths via the integrated MAME support in the Setup Wizard is fairly intuitive.

This, like any other frontend, will take some effort to setup and will not be plug & play.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I figure it will be weeks of tinkering. Where are those menus in the demo that sit at the top of the screen and group games by genre and has the "change view" option? Is that part of a theme I need to find? Is that in GameEX Arcade or is that the regular GameEx? I read all the FAQ's and saw I gain a few things like emumovies, but don't see what I gain with GameEX. And then there is "Evolution". Why 3 versions? What do I gain/lose with Evolution? Can you run Kodi in all 3? Not a requirement.  I don't need all the HTPC stuff, but might want Kodi.

Its all in the setup. Try the change view button in the menu. This is a great piece of software and is one of the easiest to configure (imho). These forums are a great place to seek help when you are really "stuck" though.

16 minutes ago, coda514 said:

Its all in the setup. Try the change view button in the menu. This is a great piece of software and is one of the easiest to configure (imho). These forums are a great place to seek help when you are really "stuck" though.

Well that's the thing, there is no "change view" anywhere in any menus. This is GameEX Arcade version and the 1 default theme it comes with.  I don't know how to find it. I tried going through the setup again to see if there is a checkbox to check, but didn't see it. You are right, it is an amazing piece of software. The effort involved! wow.

Change View is only a GameEx option, not Arcade. Arcade doesn't have a theme selector, however, you can swap out the videos if you know where to look. 

As for tinkering only for a few weeks, if you got to be kidding. It never ends!

I apologize, I hadn't noticed that you were referring to Arcade. Just trying to contribute. I'll be back.

So maybe I misunderstand. With 3 products, it is a bit confusing. I thought I wanted Arcade version because it said:

• Supports video themes.
  • Less code. Lighter. Less options.
  • Optimized cosmetics for TV and arcade displays.
  • Good support for low resolutions (640 x 480) out of the box.
  • Does not look like windows. Does look a little like HyperSpin.

So I took that to mean that the standard version is not "optimized". That is a relative term that can mean many things. I interpreted it to mean faster, like optimized code. But it could just mean it doesn't have stuff you may not want, so configures easier, or any number of things. It says by inference that the standard version does NOT support video themes. Is that true? Can the regular version "look a little like HyperSpin" like the Arcade version does? Again, it implies that the UI is different. Or can you make the standard GameEX do everything the Arcade version can, including look like it with the scrolling main menu and wheel game menu? I think by "does not look like Windows",  Tom is saying that the standard GameEX does look like Windows. That first menu is not really graphical like the Arcade version? It has just a list you scroll through rather than a list itself that scrolls?And lastly, the Evolution product says it was created from the ground up and incorporates "everything we learned in 13 years". So you would think THAT is the be all end all and what I should download. The video make Evolution look really nice, but without many of the features of the other 2 products. What' your opinion? Again, I want a HyperSpin like FE, ability to use LEDBlinky, use my XBox One USB controller, use a custom controller panel, use Retroarch and maybe RocketLauncher behind the scenes. I'm in for the long haul ;)

Well, Evolution isn't out yet, so, not an option until it is released.  If you are not looking for all the HTPC bells and whistles, then Arcade is the way to go.

You can make classic GameEx look similar to Arcade, but Arcade takes the simplification of the interface further, hence "optimized" for cabinets and TV displays.

• 1 month later...

Can Arcade switch themes on the fly? Is that what the "change view" menu in standard GameEX does? Is there a "switch emulator" key sequence like holding down "A" in RetroArch just before a rom boots? Also, is there anything in Arcade that is NOT in GameEx? All the videos and tutorials seem to be for the regular GameEx and I want my games, kodi and steam probably and my pinball games. I also want to check out themes and it looks like the instant way to change themes with "change view" is not in Arcade.  I've played around a bit with Arcade, but thinking of installing regular GameEx. Do I have to uninstall Arcade? Or does it co-exist in the same folder and you just launch a different EXE? Or can both be on the same machine one in "/gameex" and one in "/gameex arcade".

Arcade is really not your best bet if you want to easily switch themes.  Draco has created an alternate theme and very nice one at that, but GameEx proper is much more theme friendly.  

GameEx Arcade is best as a run it out the box type frontend unless you want to put some effort in skinning it.

2 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Do I have to uninstall Arcade? Or does it co-exist in the same folder and you just launch a different EXE? Or can both be on the same machine one in "/gameex" and one in "/gameex arcade".

You do not have to uninstall Arcade.

Regular GameEx should be installed in its own folder.however.