All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Adding new FX3 games

DooWop

Trying to add newer FX3 games to PinballX menu on my full cab.  Many don't seem to show up in my list to choose from when adding new game in Game Manager under my FX3 database. (sometime no games show up) Anyone know how to update the list of games for FX3 to choose from in PinballX Game Manager?   ie Adventureland, and the 3 new Jurasic park games.  It took a long while before the Universal Pack showed up in my list to choose.  Now I play the newer ones outside of PinballX and run straight throught the FX3 start.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by tthurman
Moved to Pinballx\General

For whatever reason the manager doesn't let you click add and browse to the tables, so you have to add them manually.

It's easier to use a database xml that someone else has created, but for some reason I can't attach mine or I would give it to you.

You can manually add entries.  It's located at PinballX\Databases\Pinball FX3.  Just right click the Pinball Fx3.xml and click edit with notepad.

Just copy an entry that works and paste it directly below, then just change the name and description.  Name must match the table name that Zen gave it.

You can find the names wherever your steam installation is like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX3\data\steam

Here is an example for Adventure Land.  Zen has some weird names for their tables that don't match such as Looter is a game name but it's actually Epic Quest.

<game name="Amusement_Park">
        <description>Adventure Land</description>
        <rom></rom>
        <manufacturer>Zen</manufacturer>
        <year></year>
        <type></type>
        <hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
        <hidetopper>False</hidetopper>
        <hidebackglass>False</hidebackglass>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>0</rating>
        <gridposition>1x1</gridposition>
    </game>

Once your done editing the pinball fx3.xml you can go back to game manager and change settings or add media as you will see the games now.

3 hours ago, fwiler said:

For whatever reason the manager doesn't let you click add and browse to the tables, so you have to add them manually.

It's easier to use a database xml that someone else has created, but for some reason I can't attach mine or I would give it to you.

You can manually add entries.  It's located at PinballX\Databases\Pinball FX3.  Just right click the Pinball Fx3.xml and click edit with notepad.

Just copy an entry that works and paste it directly below, then just change the name and description.  Name must match the table name that Zen gave it.

You can find the names wherever your steam installation is like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX3\data\steam

Here is an example for Adventure Land.  Zen has some weird names for their tables that don't match such as Looter is a game name but it's actually Epic Quest.

<game name="Amusement_Park">
        <description>Adventure Land</description>
        <rom></rom>
        <manufacturer>Zen</manufacturer>
        <year></year>
        <type></type>
        <hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
        <hidetopper>False</hidetopper>
        <hidebackglass>False</hidebackglass>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>0</rating>
        <gridposition>1x1</gridposition>
    </game>

Once your done editing the pinball fx3.xml you can go back to game manager and change settings or add media as you will see the games now.

The part about not being able to add games in the games manager is not necessarily true.  You can add games from the game manager, you just click add game and the new fields show up at the bottom and that's where you enter the new game.  For FX3 there is nowhere to browse to, all you have to do is add the correct table name and PBFX3 will find it.  It's not like VPX or FP where you browse directly to a table.  Just enter in the game name and game descriptions fields and your GTG.

Correct.  I'm just not sure why it doesn't let you browse to the tables so you can select the name needed, instead of manually looking for it through explorer and then typing it in.  When you say fx3 there is nowhere to browse to, there is Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX3\data\steam which is where the tables are located with the correct names.

I guess ask for that in an enhancement, to have a browser to Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX3\data\steam, and have it pull in the text and not physically point to those data files.

MY guess is that the other systems your pointing to and executing a specifc table hence the browser, steam is using the table name in the command line parameters.  Having it point to those files in Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX3\data\steam won't work.

My thoughts on it are, create a desktop shortcut to Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX3\data\steam get the game name, copy,  open up game manager, and paste, done.  Still no need to do it manually in the xml.

So the game manager works as intended for FX3.

If you can't attach you xml, just use CODE or Spoiler and copy the contents there, users can just copy and paste back into their xml.