All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX 2.62: Breaks VPinMame in VP/VPX

MnHotRod

Has anyone had any luck running VP/VPX after installing PinballX 2.62?

I'm getting rom not found errors in VPX after the install.

Here is a breakdown of what I am seeing...

--------------------

Run PinballX v2.62
Open table - Everything runs fine - In my test run I'm running "The Getaway High Speed 2 (Williams 1992) v1.04"
Close table
Open same table - rom error - Machine "xxxx (xxxxx" terminated before initialized, check the rom path or rom file
Open different VPX dmd tables - same error

To fix the table(s) that have crashed using PinballX, I open the table with VPX manually. When I do, the dmd's are displayed on top of the table on the main screen (Display 1) instead of the second screen (Display 2) on my two screen setup. I move the dmd back to the second screen, resize and adjust then close. I have to do this for any dmd table that PinballX tried to open and failed.

Repeat steps above - same errors

--------------------

FYI - My system has been running fine for years. I decided to update from v2.28 so I could get both FX2 and FX3 running at the same time on my cab.

NOTES:
I do not know how to generate a log file but I will do some research so I can get that added here. I saw that someone else noted similar issue. They are running DMDDevice drivers for color dmd. I am not.

UPDATE #1: Installing v2.28 over the top of v2.62 has got me operational again. Sounds in PinballX now sound tinny with no base.
UPDATE #2: Installing v2.50 on top of v2.28 is working. Sounds in PinballX still sound tinny, like there is no subwoofer. Tables sound fine.

I have also found in a newer version my DMDs have moved from my 3rd screen to half on the 1st and half on the 2nd screen and i have to also move them manually and with over 600 tables its a pain. But once moved table works ok.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:34 PM, simbamame said:

I have also found in a newer version my DMDs have moved from my 3rd screen to half on the 1st and half on the 2nd screen and i have to also move them manually and with over 600 tables its a pain. But once moved table works ok.

This is what I did that way if you have problems, go into registry delete all the roms...  When you open a table they go back in, plus
all future tables automatically go where they should

Setting up a default DMD location for all tables
--------------------------------------------------

If you are comfortable with the Windows registry, here is the manual way to setup a specific DMD size and location for all new tables (I used this approach)
1) Setup the DMD for one VP table manually the way you want it.  
2) Open the registry and locate Computer\HK_LOCALUSER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\<rom filename> for the table you manually setup.  Write down the values for the 4 keys below, 

Just worry about the DMD size and location

3) Now navigate to Computer\HK_LOCALUSER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\default and create keys in the Default folder.  

------------------------

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=136

Ok this is interesting. I've set it to a display number higher than my system actually has installed, in the past because I did not know there was an option to turn it off. I've had it set to Display 2 before, but I did not want a DMD Image/Video to display in PinballX as I was cycling thru tables. Why: PBXRecorder captures Display 2 with both the backglass and the dmd, so I did not see the need, or want to display the dmd on top of the backglass video. I DO want the DMD to display on Display 2 when the game is running, which makes it bit confusing to understand how PinballX is driving essentially two outcomes with one setting; 1) The dmd image/video displayed during PinballX game selection. 2) The dmd location during game play.

If I change the DMD option to OFF in PinballX, will the DMD still be displayed on Display 2, when I start the game? If not, it should shouldn't it? as I am using "screeners.txt" to drive that piece of the equation.

SUMARY:
1) I DO NOT want PinballX to display a DMD Image/Video during the game selection process of PinballX.
2) I DO want the DMD to be displayed on Display 2 during game play.

If "OFF" is an option, I'll install v2.64 and see what happens.

Personally, I recommend turning off all auto-positioning features as I think it creates as much confusion as it does simplifying setup for beginners. Think of PinballX , VPM, and B2S Server as completely separate and different systems (as this is how things actually function. These are separate pieces and they do not really read from each other's configuration files). Then configuring backglass and DMD must be done for each piece of software.

PinballX - configure the size and location of the backglass display and DMD display in PinballX.ini either using Notepad or any other text editor OR using the Settings Wizard

VPM (internal DMD/alphanumeric display) is a Window. Drag and resize the Window where you want it. "Cabinet Mode" must be checked in the table or default settings to ensure the size and location settings are saved to the registry. Fine tuning can be done if you are comfortable with directly editing the registry. Leave the external renderers like UltraDMD and dmdext alone until you get the basics down.

B2S Server - configure the size and location of the backglass display and DMD display in screenres.txt. The "DMD" display is actually an external renderer only for tables with alphanumeric displays. There would be no "DMD" display coded for a table that actually had a dot matrix display. You would make note of where you do tend to locate the VPM display and use similar values for screenres.txt.

Typically, in attract mode users want to see backglass videos/images that look like how the game will appear when you launch and load Visual Pinball. Two screen setups tend to have backglass displays with a grill rendered and for tables from around the mid-80s or later the score displayed in the  center of that grill. So, you are saying that you don't want the score display to show up in attract mode at all?

18 hours ago, Outhere said:

This is what I did that way if you have problems you go into registry delete all the roms...  When you open a table they go back in, plus
all future tables automatically go where they should

Just downgraded to earlier version and its ok now. weird.

23 hours ago, Carny_Priest said:

Appreciate the detail but I think I have VPM and B2S set up correctly as everything runs fine outside of PinballX and everything ran fine using PinballX until v2.62.

My backglass videos include the DMD as captured on Display 2 during the PBXRecorder process. Hence, I do not need a second video to play on top of  the backglass video during attract mode.

Thank you for pointing out that Backless Reposition was enabled. I did not see that before as it has not presented a problem.

UPDATE: I installed v2.64, set DMD to OFF, and I'm still getting the same error.

log.txt

PinballX.ini

Getting s Fatal Error HResult 99760868 at RenderDevice.cpp:284

Got this error are installing a few heavily graphic VPX tables, lowered detail levels and seemed to work for a little while.

Now seems to get this error every time I launch any VPX table from PinballX.

PinballX was updated to 2.62 during this time too, so not sure.

Updated video drivers, but still bad.

I see a note about 2.65 available, but need seeing it on download page yet?

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

Its there.

You are correct, I was looking down at the update new/notes and didn't see the reason for the update.  Went from 2.50 to 2.62 and started getting errors when launching VPX tables from PinballX...  Thanks for the timely response...