All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx to Raspberry?

kaptainsteve

Hello,

I love GameEx and think it's a great, easy and simple way to do the emulation thing on my arcade cabinet.

But, it seems like everybody, including myself is transitioning to Retropie on Raspberry.

Will GameEx be coming up with  something for Raspberry/Retropie?

Thanks.

Steve

CadeSheen.jpg

hmmm having GameEx or Pinball X on a raspberry sounds a good idea, but i for one dont see the point if your just doing for example mame ( as i do ) as it runs on a cheap £50 laptop that i have built into a cocktail cabinet, but i do see where your coming from in point of ease of setting up / space etc...but still a valid question as a complete set up in a box.

Agreed with @simbamame. If you're building a cab, you may as well get a cheap Dell + for the same price as a Pi, you can get better capability (i.e. plays N64, dreamcast, psp + Wii well). 

My view on SBCs is that they're better used in niche builds like the one this doofus made:

Basically, anything over laptop size either slap a laptop or bigger in!

And to answer the question - very very unlikely GameEx will be coming to linux any day soon? Mind you, Windows SBCs are now starting to catch up, so GE on an SBC might not be far off...

i disagree im sure PCs will be still be around for a lot longer, and like @stigzler said better compatibility. I find it easier to slap a motherboard a cpu bit of ram a fan an old hard drive and old CRT monitor ( most of which are just lying around or given away free ) into a home made MDF or ply cab add a joystick and hey presto instant old school games machine...maybe its cos im old school but i recon this is the way it'll stay for at least the next 25 years.

1 hour ago, kaptainsteve said:

Raspberry Pis only cost 35 bux.  

They're cheap and take up no space and that's where this is headed or really has already gone.

PCs won't be around much longer.

I was just hoping that GameEx is headed in that direction too...

Fair points. However, by the time you've added an SD card to the Pi3, you may as well have bought a Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300

I picked one up for £46 (here) - runs Windows 10 + you can install GameEx on this bad boy.

I do think that the assertion that SBCs will mark the demise of the PC is a little bit of a stretch, however. Struggle to imagine 4k video editing on a Pi....

Both ideas are fair points, I have RetroPie on my Pi 3, but I don't think I would be into putting GameEx on it. There's just too much overhead in the FE for it to be worth trying to port it unless we did like a "lite" version, but at that turn you might as well have just gone with RetroPie. It's good at what it does. If you're building a full sized cabinet, a PC mobo is just the right move anyway. My work gave me an i5 with 32 GB RAM for free when we all upgraded to laptops, my only real investment was the video card.

So for me anyway, it's RetroPie for my Pi 3 in my 3D printed N64 case for when I want to take it in the road, Arc Browser for my Fire TV 2 for when I wanna sit in my living room and play, and GameEx in my cabinet for when I want to party and chill with friends. The cab of course handles all the big and/or demanding stuff like Steam/Origin and MAME CHD games, the other two are more casual. All three aim for different experiences and achieve their goals well.

/my 2c

It's probably not what you think, meaning I didn't mod an N64. You can buy them on Etsy, $20.00. I got the fan with it too, people think it's pretty awesome when I bring it over. ;)

il_570xN.1248846053_2zr5.jpg

TinyTendo

• Like 1

nice.