All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Jumped into the Pi frenzy

ClassicGMR

Interesting. Sounds like it's a matter of choosing the right emulator and settings. I like that the build he's using auto-selects the right emu/config to get the games running right. I wonder if they have a naming convention requirement for roms, so it correctly auto-selects.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, RIP-Felix said:

Question: Does it work with a Pi 3  rev. B+ ? I saw a review saying it doesn't?

I was going to try it with the 3B+ but I also have an X-Arcade joystick to mod. Since I KNEW the 3B was compatible I just put that one in it. Adultery is right though I think they'll have updated scripts soon but nothing as yet. (Well TBH I haven't checked this weekend since I had to work.)

I was originally going to go with the NESPi case but I like the fact I didn't have to attempt a physical mod to get a safe shutdown and, well.... I like the SNES better than the NES! Sue me. ;)

EDIT: I think that some of the reviews are saying the Kuma 9000 doesn't work with the 3B+ because of the new PoE pins next to the GPIO pins. These 4 pins block the massive mega-ultra huge heatsink from being mounted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That actually looks pretty reasonable, canakits hit right around that price point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC567TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lK4-Ab249FMXW

Truth be told, you'll probably keep the Pi board and the PSU, and buy a cooler case and better SD card... You can probably get those components separate for less. You aren't likely to use the breadboard or the LEDs or any of that other stuff. ;)

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, hansolo77 said:

Correction:

Sorry... should have said Best. Controller. Ever.... for $20. I wish I had the $90 to buy a pair of the PRO controllers. :)

4 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

Sorry... should have said Best. Controller. Ever.... for $20. I wish I had the $90 to buy a pair of the PRO controllers. :)

I wish I had enough friends to necessitate a purchase of two controllers. :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Are they really $99?  Wow.  I preordered mine and thought I only paid like $60.  I only have 1 too.  I've not even bothered to install/set it up yet.  Been too busy playing with my Xbox controller to care.  That, and trying to add new stuff to my build, like FBA for cheevos, and fixing my multi-disc PSX games.

FBA has been a nice addition to the cheevos system indeed. You get that rolling yet @hansolo77? I'm hoping Moo Mesa, X-Men and TMNT wind up on the achievement list sooner rather than later, although Metal Slug and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs have been a good distraction.

That list of arcade games gets to be a PITA to maintain though, which is the whole reason I haven't put MAME on it yet. It's not like the cabinet where I don't mind having a full set, I like a leaner, meaner game list on the Pi.

I also noticed over at RetroAchievements that the first DS game set is being developed. That'll be a nice, welcome addition too!

RetroArch has completely changed the game for that project. Love it!!

Now if they would just take the time to pretty up the notification!!

The cheevo pop-up is on the agenda.  There's a bounty out for it too.  It'll come eventually.  But yea, I got FBA working.  The problem I originally was having was due to having the wrong version of RetroArch.  I had the right core and settings, but the updated RetroArch was giving me problems with the controller mapping.  Apparently I wasn't the only one, and it's been patched out.  So NDS is next up huh?  Gonna have to figure out how to make that work now.  :)  I don't even have NDS on my GameEx setup, so that'll be something interesting to play with.

Just set up my new RPi in the Kintaro Super NESmini case. That's a sweet little rig with a killer heatsink.

41bbfHs190L.jpg

Having to re-learn RPi having spent so much time on the SNES classic and Hakchi2. I preferr the save state manager of the SNES/NES classic to the Pies. It's nice to exit back to the game screen and have your save state hovering there for you. However, the pies can handle the 8Bitdo controllers better than the classic. I still haven't figured out how to get analog axis control instead of 8-way d-pad emulation.

• Like 1

Does the power and reset switches work with that case?  I'm probably going to be building another RetroPie soon, not sure what case I want to put it in.  I want to build something for my brother.  I initially built a Sega Genesis USB hub for him, but he didn't like how "tacky" it looked.  He's still impressed with my NES build, but I don't think I have he time and patience to make him one.

As for analog, there is a setting in the RetroArch control settings under the running core.  It's not something I've tried setting up automatically, but you can toggle it as needed, and could probably save it as a core/game override.

On 5/19/2018 at 6:15 PM, hansolo77 said:

Does the power and reset switches work with that case?  I'm probably going to be building another RetroPie soon, not sure what case I want to put it in.  I want to build something for my brother.  I initially built a Sega Genesis USB hub for him, but he didn't like how "tacky" it looked.  He's still impressed with my NES build, but I don't think I have he time and patience to make him one.

As for analog, there is a setting in the RetroArch control settings under the running core.  It's not something I've tried setting up automatically, but you can toggle it as needed, and could probably save it as a core/game override.

Yes, it has instructions to DL the script that enables it. It's safe shutdown/reset and enables the Pwr LED. Works well, but you have to use putty to use "|". It's needed in the command that DL/installs the script, but it can't be typed into the terminal directly on the pi.

June 29th the NES Classic will be re-released. You could just get him one of those and hack it. Netplay and retroachievements are possible with the Wifi mod and unlimited space is possible with the USB-Host mod. There's even a team working on an combination wifi/SD card mod you can solder directly to the motherboard. This is the next evolution to their SD card mod which already allows you to solder an SD card in, or have them do it for you. However, I like to use a simple usb OTG adapter. That way it's still stock.

I just solved the 8Bitdo controller issue I was having. Now it works great, better than it does on the Pi. Honestly, now that the NESC/SNESC has wifi/usb it's really becoming more useful. I like the interface and save states better than the Pi. Hackchi makes managing games and installing mods easier than dealing with retroarch on the pi. Plus it's official Nintendo hardware, so it's totally slick. I think it out performs the pi by a bit too.