All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Pin2DMD not working with PBX

Vanlon

I have a Pin2DMD that works with everything else, VIsual Pinball, Future, PinDMD tester, DMDExt etc. Though I can' get it to work with PBX.  I have he LAV filters installed, is there a dll I'm supposed to throw in the folder or something?  Missing something, probably small.

Try replacing the XDMD ddls with the ones that call the dmddevice.ddl (included in vpinmame Sam beta) and placing the dmddevice.ddl from dmdext in the pinballx folder.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue.

Previously I created (and/or found) logos for each table and dropped them in my "Real DMD Color Images" folder.  As I scrolled through the tables in PBX the matching logo would display on my PIN2DMD.

Last week I upgraded my PIN2DMD firmware from v1.76  to v2.55, and my install of PBX from v2.50 to v2.86. 

Since these upgrades PBX shows only a blank black DMD all the time when in the selection menu.  The DMD displays correctly when playing a table in VPX, but then (most of the time) returns back to a black DMD again when I exit back to the PBX menu. I say "most of the time" because occasionally the DMD just stops mid-animation when I exit a table and stays showing whatever was on it until another table is opened.

Because I stupidly did both upgrades together - instead of one at a time with some basic testing between - I don't know which upgrade might be the culprit. I've checked through the config of all the software and no settings seem to have changed. I'm suspecting a PBX config thing somewhere, since it's only in that app that the PIN2DMD ceases to respond.

I've tried copying in newer XDMD dlls as simbamame and vanion mentioned above, but with no change of behaviour.  Beyond what I've already done I really don't know what else to try.  I don't really understand which dlls are used to achieve what, or which folders PBX and VPX each go looking in for DMD files.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it! I realised it's only a cosmetic thing to get the logos displaying, but it kind of bugs my OCD when something which used to work doesn't any more :$

21 hours ago, rablack97 said:

did you unblock the dll's?

I don't have an unblock option on the Properties dialog for the dlls?

It's my understanding that the unblock option is sometimes necessary if files are copier from one computer to another.  In this instance I downloaded the PIN2DMD update as a zip file directly from my pincab and extracted the files locally to copy into place.

just a check that sometimes gets missed. are you using videos during table selection?

Also if you want to see which is the culprit try rolling back the PBX versions until the issue stops or try a still image and see if that shows consistently.  It could be your codecs or the video files your using for the DMD videos.  

On 08/05/2018 at 10:43 PM, rablack97 said:

Just a check that sometimes gets missed. are you using videos during table selection? Also if you want to see which is the culprit try rolling back the PBX versions until the issue stops or try a still image and see if that shows consistently.  It could be your codecs or the video files your using for the DMD videos.

No videos at all in PBX, just images.

I'll try switching out the XDMD dlls first, putting back the old versions which were working before I upgraded the PIN2DMD.  If that's no good then I can roll back PBX and then download and work forward through each versions to see when the feature breaks.

Thank you for the advice.

On 08/05/2018 at 10:43 PM, rablack97 said:

Also if you want to see which is the culprit try rolling back the PBX versions until the issue stops ... 

Now that it's the weekend I've had another chance to look into this.

I assumed that the install packages for each old version would probably be linked on the release post in the news page but they're not.  Indeed I haven't seen anywhere on the site to download older versions of the software!

Guess I'll have to just wait and install each new version as it's released and hope the feature comes back.

2 hours ago, smellar said:

Now that it's the weekend I've had another chance to look into this.

I assumed that the install packages for each old version would probably be linked on the release post in the news page but they're not.  Indeed I haven't seen anywhere on the site to download older versions of the software!

Guess I'll have to just wait and install each new version as it's released and hope the feature comes back.

On the download page. Click on See Changelog pulldown. Select an older version. This action will reveal a Download link near the pulldown. 

12 hours ago, Carny_Priest said:

On the download page. Click on See Changelog pulldown. Select an older version. This action will reveal a Download link near the pulldown. 

I really should've spotted that :unsure: Thanks Carny_Priest!