All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

how to use database name with mame

patrickfx

hello, i recently change my setup in gameex arcade edition to use emulator configuration rather then use the default mame config.

but i have some issues

1st i try to get right mame name in the wheel.  not only the filename

2nd i like to see some information umder video snag.  like year...small description

i have the feeling its all related to database name...what should i put here 

and a bonus answer ... can i disable background scrolling of the mame game ...

oh why i change from default mame to regulat mame...just because i get a filtered game list under a folder.

thanks in advance

@patrickfx

Would you please attach your GameEx.ini file from the CONFIG folder and log.txt from your LOG folder? From your questions, I am not sure you are using what I would call a standard setup. These two files will tell us some good information.

What version of Mame are you using (in case it is not obvious in the GameEx.ini)?

Also, could you clarify these questions:
- What "background scrolling" are you referring to? Maybe post a pic?
- Can you explain a little more about "why I change default mame to regulat Mame"? It is not clear what you are asking.

Thank you.

[mention=26814]patrickfx[/mention]
Would you please attach your GameEx.ini file from the CONFIG folder and log.txt from your LOG folder? From your questions, I am not sure you are using what I would call a standard setup. These two files will tell us some good information.
What version of Mame are you using (in case it is not obvious in the GameEx.ini)?
- Can you explain a little more about "why I change default mame to regulat Mame"? It is not clear what you are asking.
Thank you.

Absolutely. Specially if you are willing to help me. I will screenshot tonight. In the meantime, i will answer some question.

I'm using mame64.exe version 0.186. All roms from 0.186 also. Background scrolling... when you select game from the wheels. There is at the left a small video of the game. In the background, i see the name or logo of the game scrolling. This is true if not use the video theme i think. I will provide a screenshot.

When i talk about default mame setting vs not default. I refer to setup wizard where you can setup mame extended option...paths. on the other side, you can choose to setup manually a emulator into another page. Where there is 1 to x emulator you can choose.

Oh last thing. I use the arcade version of gameex

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

You can get rid of the diagonal scrolling of the Game name by placing a logo file named the same as the ROM name in the MAME\Logos path and making sure that the Logo path is pointing to it in your Emulator setup.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

You can get rid of the diagonal scrolling of the Game name by placing a logo file named the same as the ROM name in the MAME\Logos path and making sure that the Logo path is pointing to it in your Emulator setup.

thanks drago.  but maybe im wrong but this will not disable the scrolling.  i have all the logo downloaded into a directory.  when logo not it even scroll the name of the roms.  i will try to screenshoot something

21 hours ago, RedDog said:

@patrickfx

Thank you.

there are the rquested info.

for me...from what i understand...we can use the mame setting ... which i call the default or we can use the emulator setup with advanced emulator setup to configure mame or other emulator.

again... my main concern is

1st i try to get right mame name in the wheel.  not only the filename

2nd i like to see some information umder video snag.  like year...small description

is this help ?

info.zip

OK, your files explain what is going on. Your setup is not the standard setup as I suspected.

You chose to set up Mame as an emulator instead of using the Integrated Mame settings. When GameEx Arcade originally was released, it was Mame only with no emulator section. It was always intended that Mame be configured in the Mame Settings.

The emulator section was intended more for the other emulators like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. You can put Mame there if you want and it can work fine. You should choose the [Arcade] Arcade (Mame) for the Database. This should fix most of the naming and description issues you have. If you do not have that database option, you can download one from here and place it in the DATA\EMULATORS directory. Then it will show up the next time you run the Setup Wizard. One drawback is that the database is from 2014. I have no idea how up to date it is. Databases are one part of GameEx that is a HUGE undertaking and they get done as best as they can.

However, I do suggest you set up Mame in the Mame Settings instead of under the emulators. The setup is similar in many ways. What is different is that I believe the name and description info is pulled from the various mame .ini and .dat files contained in the DATA directory instead of the database file...and those files are more recent. If you do decide to set up Mame this way, do keep in mind that the first time after you run Mame after setting it up in the Mame Settings, GameEx will want to compile a mame gamelist based on your settings. This can take a while depending on how many games you have and how good of a computer you are using. On average, I would say 10 to 20 minutes.

As far as the 'scrolling game name', I think I see what you are referring to now. When you set up an emulator in the Emulator Setup, the name of the rom file is displayed in the upper left of the screen. Since your resolution is so small (500x350), there isn't enough space for the name to be shown completely, so it scrolls across the screen. GameEx Arcade is designed to be easier to set up because it is less configurable. Many choices that are in the regular GameEx are hard-coded in GameEx Arcade...and there is no setting I can see to make that name not appear. Can you increase the resolution? Is your display really 500x350?

Thank you very much reddog for taking your time to answer like you do.  I appreciate.

I will try  database option tonigh.

And yes like you mention, i use now the emulator section rather then the integrated mame.  What i was call default mame in earlier post.  I was with integrated mame before but i was stuck with a major problem.  I will explain more if the emulator section not work.

For the obvious question do i have a reel 500 by 350 resolution.  I will verify.  But i have an reel atcade cabinet with reel crt tv connected with svideo.    

For the scrolling, i will provise screenshot.  Im not sure we point the right think.

I mentioned the resolution because I thought that if it could be increased, the name would just be displayed and not scroll, therefore being a little less annoying visually. Also, a 500x350 sounded like an odd resolution anyway. With a Radeon HD 4550, you should be able to have as high of a resolution as the CRT allows. But I understand that you may have it all configured just the way you want it now.

Some pictures would be a good idea. I think that will help. :D

19 hours ago, RedDog said:

The emulator section was intended more for the other emulators like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. You can put Mame there if you want and it can work fine. You should choose the [Arcade] Arcade (Mame) for the Database. This should fix most of the naming and description issues you have. If you do not have that database option, you can download one from here and place it in the DATA\EMULATORS directory.

its a miracle. i download the db3 file and all name, description, year even star appear. a very good thing.  i then post you a small video to show you what i mean about scrolling name or logo in the background.  i dont found this very beautiful and it slow down the interface experience.  

scrolling2.mp4

• Like 1

Looks like you are missing theme videos. There is an impressive collection on Emumovies.com created by Critical Cid for MAME and a few other systems.

You will need to put them in the \Theme videos path. There is also a \VideoBackground path if you just wsnt one video to play for all.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

Looks like you are missing theme videos. There is an impressive collection on Emumovies.com created by Critical Cid for MAME and a few other systems.

You will need to put them in the \Theme videos path. There is also a \VideoBackground path if you just wsnt one video to play for all.

Hello Draco,

I know about theme video and background video.  Personally, I just like a picture, nothing moving around, minimaliste look.  I will try to put a blank and small video.  That's it.  Then, everything else will become bonus :)  Thanks again with your help.  I will be ready to beat guys (and girls) on competition game...

20 hours ago, patrickfx said:

its a miracle. i download the db3 file and all name, description, year even star appear. a very good thing.  i then post you a small video to show you what i mean about scrolling name or logo in the background.  i dont found this very beautiful and it slow down the interface experience. 

Glad you are getting it figured out. That is the first time I have seen GameEx Arcade with the logo pic or name moving across the background like that.