All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

"King of Kong" Dethroned

Draco1962

Wow a bunch of hammers coming down lately.  I had just read about the guy getting banned from Twin Galaxies because he posted a score in Dragster on the Atari 2600 that was technically incapable of achieving.  Now there's this guy, already made famous from his score, and then the movie/documentary, now getting the ban-hammer too.  Either something is going on over at TG/Guinness, or these guys are just losers looking for their 15 minutes (30 years?) of fame.

I like how they compared the rendering of the screens of the actual video game to the way that MAME renders the screens for the DK levels.That's what exposed him. Sad. Simply not worth it.

Sounds like a bunch of whiny cry babies pointing fingers out of jealousy.  Maybe he used MAME, maybe he used an original machine.  There's no doubt to me the guy achieved the score on SOMETHING.  If it's discovered it was in MAME, fine, change the record to show MAME.  I just don't see why it's such a big deal.  If he's so great anyway, why put up such a smear defense?  Get Guinness down their with a legit machine and have him do it again.  If he doesn't do as good, so be it.  Let his new score stand as the new record.  If somebody beat him, that's just the way the game goes.  Carrying on about it doesn't accomplish anything more than discredit you.  I've got some good scores in our competition, but they're not great.  If somebody beats me, I pat them on the back, not go and try to prove they cheated or anything.  Granted TG/etc is a higher scale world-world platform, but still.  You have to follow the established rules.  If you misrepresented yourself, you have nobody to blame for getting kicked out/off except yourself.

It is the politics of the times. People are tried in a court of public opinion instead of before a jury of their peers with both sides presenting their facts to determine whether the scales will tip in favor of acquittal or guilt. A sad commentary. Hell, put an * by his name and move on.

• 2 months later...