All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

3 MAME Errors

jimdeprado

Hello, 

Recently I have been having trouble running MAME.  When I try to run the command line version, I get the following errors:

• Unable to create the Direct3D device (8876086C)
  • Unable to initialize Direct3D 9
  • Fatal error: Unable to complete window creation

I did some research and RIP-Felix had a similar issue in June 2016, but his solution  did not work for me.  I have tried re-installing GameEx and updating my video drivers.

I've attached the normal files.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

GameEx.ini

log.txt

What version and type of Mame are you using?

When you say you "try to run the command line version" are you saying you are able to generate these errors when you run it manually using a .bat file? I ask this because there is no Mame version/build that doesn't have command line functionality.

I am fairly certain this issue is related only to Mame and not to GameEx. The log.txt from GameEx did not capture any of your errors and generally would not if the issue is Mame related.

I am using the latest version of MAME , 193.  I am using the 32 bit version, although I have downloaded and tried the 64 bit version as well.

When I load a game through GameEx, it just returns to the game list without showing any errors.  So I opened a command line window and tried to load a game that way (mame dkong).

Can you point me to any information that might help me resolve my MAME issue?

Thanks, 

Jim

Sorry, but I do not have a fix for you. My first priority was to clarify that it is not a GameEx related error.

I did some searching on each of those errors and came up with very little. That is one of the problems when using recent builds. The troubleshooting history isn't very extensive. However, I did find this post in the arcadecontrols forum regarding groovymame and a windows resolution problem: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=156253.0. It may be a bug in 193 that carried through to all builds. Try running the game with the -window switch instead of the -nowindow switch to confirm.

194 was released yesterday. You might try upgrading a few roms and see if the new build is any better. I did not see anything in the changelog that was obviously related to your errors, but you never know.

I assume you have posted this in a Mame-related forum like MameWorld. If not, I certainly would suggest it. Someone on the GameEx forum may have encountered something like this, but going to a Mame community would be your best bet.

I am currently using MAMEUI64 for 0.193 and experiencing none of these issues being reported. I would recommend giving that a try. That said, I did find that, because of my setup, I did modify my mame.ini to include my paths that were also setup in the integrated MAME support.

If you can get it setup and working via "vanilla" MAME or MAMEUI, then it may be a matter of a compilation error.

Since I use an X-Arcade Tankstick, I followed the instructions found here and made certain all was working well outside of GameEx first before attempting to run it via GameEx.

I am using Windows 10 and have a Surface Pro 4 with Intel HD Graphics 520 card.  I have DirectX 12 and have updated it per the link given above.

Thanks all, but I have tried all the solutions above but nothing has worked so far.  I will post on MAMEWorld and pass on the solution when I get it.

Thanks Again!

Jim